Does anyone use a waist cincher/trainer?

Options
How does it work for you? Any results?

Replies

• SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Yikes!

We've progressed in the last few centuries, y'know?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • _BunnyMomma_
    _BunnyMomma_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Im I wear a waist cincher when I wear vintage clothing? But that's to achieve a specific look... and I am going to guess you arent asking about vintage clothing.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    No not asking about vintage clothing. waist trainers make you sweat which is a good thing...right?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    They work by distorting your rib cage and pushing your internal organs out of their normal place. Wearing corsets was why Victorian women had so many health issues and were fainting all the time.

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    No.
  • _BunnyMomma_
    _BunnyMomma_ Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Its not that they make you sweat. If we are thinking of the same thing, they essentially are a less extreme version of corsets. Not that corsets are bad. (But again... this opinion is coming from someone who studies fashion history and design) I dont think waist cincher have been on the mainstream market since 1960 though.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    No not asking about vintage clothing. waist trainers make you sweat which is a good thing...right?

NO.

If you want to sweat, workout.

If you want to lose weight, eat at a deficit.

If you want to lose weight, feel great and work on body composition, eat at a deficit and workout. Preferably with a weight lifting program.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    No way. Kim K promotes and advocates those things...enough said.
  • PRMinx
    Options

I don't know how many times we can tell you...

No.

This is a scam.

Clothes are never going to "stimulate fat loss."

Your liver and kidneys do a great job removing toxins from your body. A piece of fabric? Not so much.

Seriously, NO.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    If you are wearing any device to make you sweat - once you have a drink of water you will gain it all back.

You need to burn calories and reduce fat. Sweat (water) loss is only temporary.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I've seen pics on IG of men wearing them when working out. What a turn off.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    They work by distorting your rib cage and pushing your internal organs out of their normal place. Wearing corsets was why Victorian women had so many health issues and were fainting all the time.

corset_zpsoportrgc.jpg

Ouch! Seems painful!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Just Workout and eat at a deficit. There is no way around it.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Isn't that just a girdle? Or the more modern name for it. "shapewear"? It doesn't do anything but cinch you in under your clothing to appear smaller or shapelier.

But wearing this or any other type of wrap thing is only a temporary fix - you can't spot reduce fat by keeping a certain area warm or sweaty, and sweat loss is just water weight anyway - have a glass of water and TA-DA - water weight returns!

Calorie deficit for weight loss, exercise for fitness, lift weights for body recomp - all tried and true, and the best way to get and keep the results you want.
  • jennahaines108
    jennahaines108 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I think everyone is right in saying that it won't help you lose weight. But if you're using it for fashion purposes or to accentuate your waist in certain clothes, then that's your choice as long as you're careful. As someone who dresses up and goes to cons, people use things like this all the time to achieve a look. But they're no skinnier afterwards.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    We sell something similar at my workplace. All they do is reduce water retention aka. bloating around your midsection. They aren't giving you a "detox," nor are they affecting fat in the least. It's a waste of money for an effect that drinking a lot of water will also achieve for free.
  • SporkNBeans
    Options
    I wear them..but not for weight loss lol
  • skeo
    skeo Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I used to when I first started working out 2 years ago, I would wear the Gold's Gym waist band thing from Wal-Mart for 8.00, I would wear it in the sauna, when I would cardio, and when I would lift, and when I took it off and saw that it was drenched in sweat, I felt like I was doing something, silly me. It's just water, and it's stupid uncomfortable, and it does nothing for your long term beneficial goals.