Calories in bacon

Options
2»

Replies

• snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you are that worried about the calories in your bacon, get the calorie count for each slice raw. Count the slices. Multiple each slice times the calorie count per slice. Cook the slices. Drain all the fat off and measure it. Find out the calorie count for bacon fat. Subtract the calories in the bacon fat. Divide by the number of slices.

Voila! Calories in your bacon. (This is how I figured out how many calories are in my peanut butter after I drain the oil out - which I do purely because I like the way my peanut butter tastes without the oil!)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Does the label say just 14 g as the serving size or does it say something like "1 slice (14 g)"? Like this:

226690-bacon-oscarmayer-naturallyhardwoodsmoked-d-1.jpg

That's a lot of visible fat

I like back bacon mmmm
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Does the label say just 14 g as the serving size or does it say something like "1 slice (14 g)"? Like this:

I like back bacon mmmm

Are you outside the US? That (meaning the picture above) is our most common type of bacon. You can get other kinds but that is the one you see the most. We went to Canada last year and I had peameal bacon and mmmmm, yum.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I would go with the weight after cooking since that is what you actually ate and the calories on the package since that is the information you have to go by.

The weight on the package is probably the raw weight unless it says otherwise, so that would be a good way to undercount.

Just use the package information; it assumes you eat it cooked and doesn't include the calories from all the fat.

This may be heresy on MFP, but for packaged bacon (which I eat pretty rarely) I just go with the number of slices. I only weigh if it's the thick fattier stuff I get from a farm.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Most of the labels I've seen list it as cooked weight. If you're really concerned about over or under estimating due to your limits, start measuring in grams instead of ounces. Even when you do have to wing it a little (no 2 slices of cooked bacon will be cooked to the exact same amount as the label), you're not estimating quite as much. 1oz=28.3g, so ounces will round a lot more, especially after you enter them into mfp.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I like back bacon mmmm

Are you outside the US? That (meaning the picture above) is our most common type of bacon. You can get other kinds but that is the one you see the most. We went to Canada last year and I had peameal bacon and mmmmm, yum.

Yup :smile:

This is our standard back bacon...cut off the visible fat of 2 rashers, grill, slap in between white thick cut toast with butter, a fried egg and red or brown sauce, large mug of coffee ...et voila, Sunday breakfast in bed for 400 cals.

Lean-Rindless-Back-Bacon.JPG