"Healthy" Junk Food...

Options
Hey all. I will firstly say I'm a bit sad to live in Canada sometimes, because I feel those of you in the US have a lot more food variety when it comes to snacks. I know these are mostly processed foods I'm talking about, but still...
Anyways, I've stopped popping into this organic/vegetarian/vegan shop near me, and I keep finding little goodies... Shirataki noodles, a low-cal pasta option I've used for ages... pop with stevia instead of aspartame... tofu bbq bites which are AWESOME, and I just bought some seaweed chips - 80 cals a bag! I have a salt weakness, so I love them. Unfortunately they're so expensive...
I've seen people talk about Arctic Zero, an icecream wannabe that clocks in at 150 cal for a pint...I wish we had it here!
Anyways, I was curious. For those of you with junk food weaknesses (salt, sweet, anything),
have you found any foods/snacks around that you just love and that don't kill the calorie bank? Please share!!

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I slum it with a protein bar from time to time.
  • KitkatcuteNYC
    KitkatcuteNYC Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Quality Dark chocolate over 60% is good..
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you think soda with stevia instead of aspartame is better for you?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, how exactly do you think soda with stevia instead of aspartame is better for you?

60de282935774577b991aaba5c1b8f5c7f5a16fcd0187dd8e65952f98c586240.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    There are Canadian bars at Costco and elsewhere that our American friends don't have. I love Simply Protein and the Taste of Nature bars.

The Bulk Barn has a huge selection as well.

Kale chips
    Nuts of all kinds
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I second kale chips, but they are waaaaay to expensive to buy. I make my own.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Kale chips instead of potato chips - no fat, lo cal, crunchy. But yes, way expensive.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

EfaqOhA.gif
  • scaryg53
    scaryg53 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I just got some kale ships today for free, they're 7.99 for two servings, I love them but I'd rather make my own also, although mine aren't as good.
  • jdori2015
    jdori2015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been snacking on Smith's Popped - Sour Cream & Chives Single Serve, 16 g.
    - 69 Cal, 24lb carbs, 4lb fat, 2lb protein & sugar, 207lb sodium.

I don't know if you get those, but we have them in Australia.
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Flavoured rice cakes! Lightly salted, chocolate, Apple & cinnamon etc.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to eat junk food, I might as well eat the real thing and try to limit it to no more than once a week. The "healthy" alternatives are never as good, and just make me want the real thing even more.
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    PB2 is a powdered peanut butter you reconstitute with water. It contains 45 calories and 1.5 g of fat per 2 tablespoon serving. It tastes pretty good. Not as good as regular, but good enough for me. I have a serving with an apple in the afternoon. I buy it on Amazon.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I've seen people talk about Arctic Zero, an icecream wannabe that clocks in at 150 cal for a pint...I wish we had it here!

No, you don't.

You really don't.
  • ksmi141
    ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    As others have said - baby kale chips. I prefer them to potato chips and they take like 12 minutes to make. 10 minutes of that's in the oven. I tried roasting my own chickpeas, but haven't had any success with that. Blegh. Also, I like baking my own donuts/Muffins with healthy alternatives. So, my stomach thinks it's getting this amazing sugary donut, but my brain knows it's only banana, honey and oats. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

EfaqOhA.gif

+1
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    No, because I don't really look at the calories of the food I want to buy. I just buy it and eat it if it fits my calories. Or I eat a custom serving weight to fit my calories.

But uh, why is this thread title about junk food when you didn't even mention anything that is perceived to be junk food?
  • 00_Staarling
    00_Staarling Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am becoming less of a picky eater and find some things I didn't think of as 'treats' sort of like junk food substitutes :) I love fruit yogurt, bananas and creamed rice. Having oats with apples sauce for breakfast almost feels like having dessert for breakfast since it almost tastes like apple pie and it fills me up so much!
  • AllAbtSoccer
    AllAbtSoccer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tried & true: real peanut butter & apples or banana.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I don't worry overmuch about calories or fat, but I do try to pick snack foods with a few more micronutrients when possible. I like dried coconut for sweets, and dried soy nuts or chickpeas for crunchy salty snacks. I also really, really like fresh fruit mixed with some sunflower seeds or almond butter. You get all the the sugary, fatty goodness, plus some protein and vitamins :)