"Healthy" Junk Food...

Options
2»

Replies

• dragthewaters
    dragthewaters Posts: 62 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Right now I'm eating 1/2 cup of frozen organic raspberries and 1/4 cup of coconut flakes...I think that counts. For me with raspberries it's more about breaking the monetary bank...one bag has 2.5 cups and is about $3.69. But they're sooooo good (my favorite fruit ever), and still cheaper and less moldy than fresh raspberries.

For me I wouldn't consider "healthy" junk food to just be low-calorie...it also has to be, well, healthy, like without artificial stuff. And hopefully with some sort of nutritional value, like protein or antioxidants or whatever.

*Raspberries, as mentioned.
    *Dark chocolate (like 72%), either plain or flavored. The Endangered Species brand is my favorite.
    *The Back to Nature creme cookies (they're basically like an all-natural version of Oreos). They make several other types of cookies as well.
    *Any baked goods from the store that are made with real, all-natural ingredients. My store (Stop & Shop) actually has quite a few and even its own line of all-natural cookies.
    *Snapea Crisps or Lentil Crisps instead of chips (sadly, they don't have them at my supermarket :( But I guess it's not so sad because I tend to eat the entire bag at once when I do get them.)

*This has artificial ingredients, but I also love sour cream and onion chips, so I get the baked Lays when I go to Subway...unfortunately they somehow think the healthier version = "put less flavoring on it".

*I am a fiend for Honest Tea and Teas' Tea, although both are expensive so I try to limit my consumption of those. Honestly I am a fiend for tea in general. I usually have it instead of dessert because the flavor tricks my brain into thinking it's getting sugar. My favorite tea is Twinings Green Jasmine tea, and favorite herbal tea is Tazo Cocoa Mint Mate.
    *Unsweetened coconut milk is like a staple food for me, but I also have it for dessert sometimes.

*This is my greatest trick though. Whenever I'm really craving chocolate, but I don't want any additional sugar for the day, I make my own hot chocolate. 3 tablespoons of baking cocoa in water, microwave for 2 minutes, it's completely sugar-free and tastes way better than commercial hot chocolate (to me at least). And if you really want you can add a bit of sugar, and it will still be less than commercial hot chocolate. I'm going to go have some now....
    I've seen people talk about Arctic Zero, an icecream wannabe that clocks in at 150 cal for a pint...I wish we had it here!

I've never tried it myself, or had a desire to, but there was a thread on here of "worst foods you've ever eaten" and it came up SEVERAL times.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've seen people talk about Arctic Zero, an icecream wannabe that clocks in at 150 cal for a pint...I wish we had it here!

I've never tried [Arctic Zero] myself, or had a desire to, but there was a thread on here of "worst foods you've ever eaten" and it came up SEVERAL times.

It tastes like anorexia and tears.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I've never tried [Arctic Zero] myself, or had a desire to, but there was a thread on here of "worst foods you've ever eaten" and it came up SEVERAL times.

It tastes like anorexia and tears.

omg

Ok I vote for popcorn. And the snack I just had, which was half a peach from a can + a couple of tablespoons of whipped cream over a broken-up Dad's oatmeal cookie (corner store peach crumble!)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    A lot of people on here suggest just eating what you like, but a smaller portion. I agree and think that is great and ideal, but I have some substitutes that I actually love: popcorn or pops chips, stonyfield chocolate frozen yogurt (though I do buy talenti and eat 2 servings), arnolds bread-2 slices for 80 calories with laughing cow cheese or PB2, 99% cacao bars (lindt has one for 220 calories in the whole bar) eaten with a cup of coffee with cream and sugar, quest bars, white cheddar rice cakes...just to name a few.

Edit: I disregarded your "healthy" suggestion. I think my diet is healthy, therefore any food in it is healthy.
  • lotus_eater
    lotus_eater Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My go to snack seems to be roasted seaweed, It fills the needs for something salty (and spicy if I get the wasabi flavor).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    grilled chicken breast that's been marinated in girard's champagne salad dressing.
  • mauibeachbabe
    Options
    Try Special K There Yummy, Crackers, Chips, Bars, even protein shakes.They are 100 cal or under As for expensive I always look at it this way what do you spend on a drink in a bar $3.00 -$7.00 for just one, at least with snacks you get a whole bag.