Lent

Options
Does anyone here give up anything food/drink related for lent? I'm not particularly religious but last year I gave up chocolate. I might try it again this year since my sweet tooth seems to be out of control recently!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yes, but since I do do it for religious reasons I try not to do something that will be confused with something I do for dieting purposes (not saying one shouldn't, that's just me).

Traditionally I give up meat and sweets, but last year (when I'd just started my weight loss efforts in late January), I didn't do any food related thing (other than the standard Friday ones). This year I'm not sure--I'm seriously thinking about trying to do vegetarian again, but that will be challenging for my current way of eating (and I'll be traveling for part of it). I also might give up coffee.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try and give up my Gluten free corn Chex cereal. It will be hard, though. As this is my favorite thing to snack on when I'm hungry in between meals.
  • fancyface1955
    fancyface1955 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up pasta, bread, potatoes and other white stuff as well as cookies, cake, desserts, etc. The year before that I gave up meat. Both times I was able to try new things. The year I gave up meat,I tried a lot of fish that i had never had before. Both times I lost about 10 pounds. I like to test myself just to see how far I can go. Not sure what I'm giving up this year. I might do one of these again. I might try giving up fruit- i love it so much. Peanut butter might be another idea too. Hmmm......
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I might go pescetarian but it feels like a cheat to me because I love fish so much. It might work as a compromise between my workout schedule and current diet and going veggie, though.
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Last year I gave up pasta, bread, potatoes and other white stuff as well as cookies, cake, desserts, etc. The year before that I gave up meat. Both times I was able to try new things. The year I gave up meat,I tried a lot of fish that i had never had before. Both times I lost about 10 pounds. I like to test myself just to see how far I can go. Not sure what I'm giving up this year. I might do one of these again. I might try giving up fruit- i love it so much. Peanut butter might be another idea too. Hmmm......

Wow sounds you've got some serious willpower! I was thinking about giving up meat but then I think I'd struggle to hit my protein intake.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do lent. I have not though about what it'll be this year. Perhaps spree candy, as my husband keeps bring them home and is trying to get me addicted....

Ooh maybe I'll give up getting on my scale...
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I decided to do a whole30 for Lent this year. In the past I've given up sushi (but sashimi was ok as it is just fish), pop, ice cream, and junk food in general. My mom's doctor usually gives up caffeine. I'm not that hardcore LOL
  • Codilee87
    Codilee87 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I've never really observed Lent but if I were to try I would probably give up something not diet-related. Daytime television, for example, or maybe my computer lol (but then how would I log)
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Oh Bleep! I hadn't even thought about Lent until this post.

I'll probably give up something non-food this year. I should probably give up all shopping for clothes. Amazon. . .no Amazon except just enough Kindle books to make it through an airline flight. That will be a real live sacrifice. (Except I know I should really give up shopping for clothes. . .)
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I did no downloading music and no amazon one year. It was killer. (Yes, that's pathetic.)
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    I have given up all alcohol for Lent several different years. First year I did this I was also dieting and exercising and lost 15 pounds over the 40+ days of observance! Considering the same for this year.
  • RealMarkD
    RealMarkD Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Growing up, we always gave up baked goods. Once I grew up & went out on my own, I stopped. I think it'd be an even bigger sacrifice now to give up cookies or brownies for Lent now than back then. Or maybe Netflix.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I never do, but my dad gives up peanut butter every year because he eats so much of it. I already have an extremely limited diet due to an food phobias and an eating disorder so it would never work for me to give up anything!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Whipping cream on my Friday night piece of pie.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I did no downloading music and no amazon one year. It was killer. (Yes, that's pathetic.)

OH MY GOD NO AMAZON.

And I thought giving up swearing every year was hard.
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I am going to try for beer and potato chips.For people that know me,it's about the same as to quit breathing!
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give up buying anything from the cafeteria at the hospital I work at. This will help me since I've been trying to get into the habit of bringing my own lunch anyway. :)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Yes, but since I do do it for religious reasons I try not to do something that will be confused with something I do for dieting purposes (not saying one shouldn't, that's just me).

Traditionally I give up meat and sweets, but last year (when I'd just started my weight loss efforts in late January), I didn't do any food related thing (other than the standard Friday ones). This year I'm not sure--I'm seriously thinking about trying to do vegetarian again, but that will be challenging for my current way of eating (and I'll be traveling for part of it). I also might give up coffee.

Oh my, giving up coffee would be so hard for me! But I guess the coffee industry isn't exactly well managed... so it might be something I should consider....
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I try to follow the traditional orthodox rules of fasting during lent. No animal products, no meat, no oils etc and there are a few days in there that are complete fasts. To us, the point of lent is a fast so you can concentrate on spiritual matters, not simply giving up one item that we enjoy. Since it is a religious fast, I follow the guidelines (as best I can) that are given by my religion :)
  • shelleyrhoads
    shelleyrhoads Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Ahhh... lent well I think I need to quit smoking so I better get some patches. Makes no sense to loose all this weight to get lung cancer and die anyway