Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Calorie allowance seems vary high

2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    If you also included fitness goals for exercise when you set-up your goals, by default MFP adds those calories expected to be burned back into your daily calorie goal so that your overall anticipated loss will not exceed the weekly weight loss that you set. If you did set exercise goals, you might want to set them at zero and see what your daily calories should be. Then, exercise can either be an added loss bonus or an opportunity to eat back a portion of those calories if need be.

No it doesn't

Fitness goals are excluded ..MFP is a NEAT method

What is NEAT method?

It's actually BMR, TEF, and NEAT method. But that's a rather long way of putting it.
    BMR - Basal Metabolic Rate
    TEF - Thermal Effect of Food (about 10% of calories eaten burned in processing it).
    NEAT - Non-Exercise Activity Thermogenesis or Spontaneous Physical Activity (SPA) - your getting up and moving around for normal daily functions.

TEA - Thermal Effect of Activity or better EAT - Exercise Activity Thermogenesis - formal exercise done.

Those 4 added up is what you burn in a day.
    MFP uses some recent studies to take your BMR x activity factor you selected to account for the BMR + TEF + NEAT = daily calories for maintenance. Otherwise called TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

The EAT is left out until you do it and log it, then it's added in. Now it's TDEE including exercise.

So you burned more, you eat more.

Easy concept, lost on many though. Probably because they aren't eating enough.

I think MFP is more accurately considered a daily TDEE method, because if you do it right, that's what it's estimating, each days TDEE, with deficit to cause weight loss.

This is compared to other sites that ask for your PLANNED exercise routine, hours weekly if good site or method, then that weekly calorie burn is averaged out daily, so you eat the same amount daily, exercise or not, it balances out.

Usually ends up the same. But it leads to the confusion where people think that exercise causes weight loss, because with that average TDEE method, you better do the exercise you said you planned to do, or you indeed would lose no weight.

MFP doesn't matter, you miss it - you eat less. You do it, you eat more, reward almost - but still same weight loss deficit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    carlitice wrote: »
    I am going through the same issue. I am active (a nurse) and tall and I almost never eat as many calories as MFP allows (2130 for me) and 2-3 days a week i get the "you may not be eating enough" message. When I chose healthy foods I only eat about 1400-1600 calories, and I'm not hungry. And that is with at least one extra protein that I wasn't eating before. And the days I do get close or go over are the days I eat stuffed cheese bread and drink beer! I am not worrying about it too much, I've lost a little weight in the 3 weeks I've been logging, and since I am adding muscle faster than the fat weight falls off it looks like I've lost more than 5.

Ya, even if you were eating in surplus doing a very progress weight lifting routine and were a man with better hormones - you could not add enough muscle to mask the rate at which fat could be falling off.
    Of course eating in surplus means you'd be gaining some muscle and fat.

Sorry, female in a deficit, ain't happening.

There are many reasons that the normal side effect of exercise causes weight gain - and it's all related to water first.