Best workout for GAINS!!! #legday #bestday

Options
5 10 reps of warm up squats
5 sets 8-10 reps of heavy weighted squats
5 sets 20 reps of leg curls
5 sets 20 reps of leg presses 5 sets (do 10 reps on your right leg then 10 on your left then 20 with both feet together/narrow stance) make sure when you do this exercise that you're legs are positioned high so it'll work out your *kitten* better.
20 reps of calf raises (toes in, toes forward, toes out) (5 sets of each toe position so 15 sets total)
5 sets 7 reps of wide stance squats (use smith machine and move forward so your feet are in front of shoulders and wider than your shoulders. Like like your leaning on a wall with your feet out)
5 sets 20 reps leg extensions
5 sets 10 reps calf raises with machine
5 sets 15 steps of lunges

Replies

• aaron_larson94
    Options
    Makktjxvt5solps.jpg
    e sure to go as low as possible when doing squats! And don't be that person that uses the bar pad!!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    #tagforlikes
    #bed
    #woman
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,716 Member
    Options
    So more than 50 sets? A little overkill, but high volume does work for gains. I would say 20-25 sets is sufficient for most body parts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    y do i want to go as low as possible if i'm looking to gain leg size?

please supply pics of the massive legs you've developed using this routine

#thxbruh
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    No
  • aaron_larson94
    Options
    My legs are small man. I'm only 5'5 122 pounds. Been doing my routine for almost a month now. You do want to go low on squats because that's how you do a squat... Try it. If it doesn't work as well as the ones you're doing now then do your man.
  • aaron_larson94
    Options
    If anyone thinks this isn't a good leg workout please post yours. And I'll give it a try. Trying to get bigger so input would be good instead of hate
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    #talksthetalk
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If anyone thinks this isn't a good leg workout please post yours. And I'll give it a try. Trying to get bigger so input would be good instead of hate

Squat more frequently, and cut out the extra volume from additional movements. You don't need it, especially with your experience level.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    #talksthetalk
    LOL

What happens if I can't go low on squats, only parallel, as per Doctor's orders. I have bad knees.
  • aaron_larson94
    Options
    I currently only work legs once a day. How many days a weeks do you think I should squat?
  • aaron_larson94
    Options
    Once a week*
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Can I get this on Instagram?

#doubletapallthatcardio
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    My legs are small man. I'm only 5'5 122 pounds. Been doing my routine for almost a month now. You do want to go low on squats because that's how you do a squat... Try it. If it doesn't work as well as the ones you're doing now then do your man.

There's not much more gained from going below parallel on squats. Squat dept is when the hip crease is parallel to the top of the knee. Also, most people can't go deep due to hip bone structure and many people who can squat below depth have increased lumbar flexion, both of those conditions will cause injury. Hitting parallel is enough.

You are doing way too much. If you're looking for gains the ideal set and rep range for leg gains is 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps, except for calves due the the difference in type I and type II fibers. You should also never squat on a smith machine. Ever. Ever.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    Serious answer then. If you are a beginner get yourself on a properly designed beginner routine designed by an expert. You don't have the experience to create your own programme.
    And don't skip arm day. ;)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    #holymotherofvolume
    #sorry
    #notsorry
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    Also, zero free weight posterior chain? When you're only working legs one day a week you need some sort of deadlift, not just leg curls.
  • aaron_larson94
    Options
    This workout wasnt made by me. I'm following the routine that my buddy gave me. He's huge af so I trust him. I do have to admit though 5 sets does kill me. I've only ever done 3-4 before I was told to do 5. Hahahahahahah and yeah man I I work chest and triceps on mon back and biceps on wens, and shoulders and abs on thurs. I've never done a full arm routine though.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

*raises hand*

keep the basic principles of you workout but cut it down to a THIRD of what you have there. I'll even let you choose with 2/3rds of the workout to cut. you can drop sets, reps, or entire exercises. i'm leaning toward some entire exercises and some sets primarily, but fair is fair and i said let you choose.

#saveyourknees
    #saveyourhips
    #saveyourtime
    #youAin'tOnSteroids