Options

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    o4uiljcf88g4.png
  • aaron_larson94
    Options
    @davpul what exercises would you eliminate?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Get rid of leg curls, leg extensions, leg presses.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    The fact that are a beginner, and have a leg day is you first mistake. As others have said. Go find a program that was made by a pro and leave your own programming out of it. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc is what you should be looking into.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options

Smith machine.
    Only need one or two sets of warm up squats.
    Cut out the first calves workout, you can do just fine with one exercise for calves.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    The fact that are a beginner, and have a leg day is you first mistake. As others have said. Go find a program that was made by a pro and leave your own programming out of it. Starting Strength, Stronglifts, etc is what you should be looking into.

Having a leg day as a beginner isn't necessarily a bad thing. It depends on goals and how much time you have to lift during the week. I wouldn't break it down to bodybuilding isolation type stuff (chest and shoulders, back and arms), but two upper days and two lower days is just fine for beginners.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

he's going for mass. nothing wrong with those. he's just doing too much of EVERYTHING. it's like he's hoping to make a really good chili, but figured the best way was to use everything in his fridge, cabinets, countertops, and even a few remnants from the garbage disposal to make it better. but most of the time, more is just more.
  • DavPul
    Options

i mean....those are good....for lots of things.....but do they have to be the answer for everything on this site?
  • DavPul
    edited February 2015
    Options

honestly, i don't hate any of that stuff, even if i rarely, if ever, do some of them. if there's something on there you hate, feel free to cut that. but let's assume you like them all. here's what we'll do:

1. cut all of those sets down to 3, maybe 4 on a couple of things that you have to build to peak (squats).
    2. dump the smith work and replace it with some RDLs
    3. divide the total number of exercises by 2* and label them Leg Day A and Leg Day B. alternate legs days between those two workouts.

Start there and see how it goes.

*honestly, I want to tell you to divide those exercise by 3 and have an A, B, C workout. Because it's SOOO MUCH. but (1) I was a young skinny legged dude at one time too and I remember what it feels like to want to do EVERYTHING, and (2) divided in half and with sets and reps pared back, maybe it's not as much as I think. I mean, I keep trying to take it all in, but it's SOOOO MUCH that I space out before I get to the bottom of that list.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    My legs are small man. I'm only 5'5 122 pounds. Been doing my routine for almost a month now. You do want to go low on squats because that's how you do a squat... Try it. If it doesn't work as well as the ones you're doing now then do your man.

There's not much more gained from going below parallel on squats. Squat dept is when the hip crease is parallel to the top of the knee. Also, most people can't go deep due to hip bone structure and many people who can squat below depth have increased lumbar flexion, both of those conditions will cause injury. Hitting parallel is enough.

You are doing way too much. If you're looking for gains the ideal set and rep range for leg gains is 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps, except for calves due the the difference in type I and type II fibers. You should also never squat on a smith machine. Ever. Ever.

This. Everyone is built differently.
    Here are some good videos on structure affecting squatting. Part 2 shows human examples, the number 2 guy has really unusual proportions.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av3LO2GwpAk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGEKRjlZKf8
  • DavPul
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @aaron_larson94, no matter what you learn about #LegDay in this thread, i think the most important takeaway is that when you still have much to learn (which is pretty much all of us, really), maybe don't be running around shouting about what you think everyone should do. #New2Site and #Newish2Lifting means it's time to be gathering information, not spreading poor information. you're getting called to task here for your presentation as much as your information. prolly more so.

but hey, #BTDT
  • aaron_larson94
    Options
    Thanks dav! I'mma try to do what you just said this tues. For everyone that said I should get rid of the smith machine. I'll do that too. Also if you know your limits on squats then do it the best way that works for you. Going low for me works best since I have flexible hips from kickboxing. Also since I'm working out 4 days a week would a day of full body exercises help or should I just use the days I have off to rest?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    #toomuchvolume
  • ndj1979
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    #holymotherofvolume
    #sorry
    #notsorry

#like
    #LOL
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

i mean....those are good....for lots of things.....but do they have to be the answer for everything on this site?

Actually no, and I agree with what you are saying. Those get thrown around a lot on here. However, with him looking to gain, and weighing in at 122 pounds, he could eat and actually grow with a program of this sort a lot better than most people here that it has been suggested to.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

he's going for mass. nothing wrong with those. he's just doing too much of EVERYTHING. it's like he's hoping to make a really good chili, but figured the best way was to use everything in his fridge, cabinets, countertops, and even a few remnants from the garbage disposal to make it better. but most of the time, more is just more.

crap, I just realized I am making my chill wrong…

so you don't use cabinets when you make yours???
  • ndj1979
    edited February 2015
    Options
    OP if you are a beginner I would go with something like strong lifts 5x5 …

and for the love of everything holly don't listen to your friend just because he is "big" …

#gainzzzzzzz
  • aaron_larson94
    Options
    Nah he works at my moms office and he use to compete in body building. She knew I was trying to get bigger and gave him my info. From there he's been helping me with my gains
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Nah he works at my moms office and he use to compete in body building. She knew I was trying to get bigger and gave him my info. From there he's been helping me with my gains

if he works in your moms office it sounds like his body building career never quite took off…

Just saying...
  • DavPul
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

if he works in your moms office it sounds like his body building career never quite took off…

Just saying...

he has to work somewhere. steroids and HGH ain't free, ya know