How many calories/carbs? Insulin resistant

Options

Replies

• kekagel
    kekagel Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    How do you determine what's best after tweaking the recommended allowance? Is that based on how you feel, blood sugar levels, a combination of both, or other factors?
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Like was said in the last thread posted (which was deleted) you really need to see a doctor to have your needs figured out. I myself am insulin resistant, but not enough so to require Metformin (I have PCOS) and my endocrinologist said I do not need to change anything so long as I am losing weight. Everyone is different, and what works for one person is not going to work for another. Also, as stated last time, self-diagnosis is not wise if you think you have a medical condition that is impacted greatly by your diet.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kekagel wrote: »
    I'm having the worst time finding a calulator to determine how many calories and carbs per day I should have. It's likely that I'm either insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. I'm 260 pounds, 5'4", 35 years old, and sedentary - though I want to change that. Do any calculators exist that would take all that into factor? I'd appreciate any tips or advice. Thank you!

Never assume. You need to get tested by your doctor and go from there.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    How do you determine what's best after tweaking the recommended allowance? Is that based on how you feel, blood sugar levels, a combination of both, or other factors?

By "best" I mean what works for me in terms of losing weight. I am also looking at my fasting blood sugar and A1C results over time.
  • Tygerlilee
    Options
    I am sorry that some people are being a bit insensitive. I would recommend doing the whole30. It has helped people whose diabetes were much more developed. It is hard but simple to follow. I am on day 18 myself. I think it would make a big difference for you. No calorie counting and more effective than a doctor for your situation, in my opinion.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Tygerlilee wrote: »
    I am sorry that some people are being a bit insensitive. I would recommend doing the whole30. It has helped people whose diabetes were much more developed. It is hard but simple to follow. I am on day 18 myself. I think it would make a big difference for you. No calorie counting and more effective than a doctor for your situation, in my opinion.

big-bang-theory-penny-WHAT-gif.gif

And your opinion is beyond asinine. In no way should you be instructing a person who thinks they might have a potentially serious medical condition to do some diet and claim it's more effective than a doctor. That's downright stupid actually. There is no sugar coating that. Don't ever give that type of advice again, for the sake of humanity.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You need a dr. You need a psychiatrist to begin with (to avoid misunderstandings, I am currently seeing one myself, I am not calling you "crazy"). I am pretty sure you know your problem is not the potential diabetes. Have you looked for drs who work with people with your phobias? You are not the only person who is agoraphobic and there is help.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I'm 260 pounds, 5'4", 35 years old, and sedentary...

BMR is ~1400ish, TDEE is ~1700ish.

20% deficit puts you at ~1350 calories/day.

But if you are housebound, there may be other issues at play here...?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

This is terrible advice.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why are you housebound and how long have you been housebound?

Why can't you get a doctor to visit if that is the case? Surely there is a duty of care?

• SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    According to a blood glucose testing kit and information on diabetes.org, I'm either insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. Yes, I need to get to a doctor - that is very difficult as I've been homebound for years. That is something I'm working on.

Until then, I'm looking for all the information I can get. I realize that none of you are doctors, that's why I'm asking for opinions from people that have dealt with similar issues. I understand that people are different, but I'm still interested in reading the information. I need a healthier lifestyle regardless and I want to learn everything possible from all different methods, all the options available so that I can determine - eventually with a doctor - what my best course of action is.

If you want to lose weight you have to log, measure, weigh your food and eat at a calorie deficit. There is really no "magic" here, even if you are "prediabetic".

You do not need a doctor to change your eating. You have to do that.

If you are agoraphobic and have other anxiety issues, that is something else entirely here. A psychiatrist and a psychologist combo is the best course of action for that.

I do encourage you to get a primary care doctor and get yourself a physical with a blood panel and a diabetes test. That is just something you should do yearly anyway.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why are you housebound and how long have you been housebound?

Why can't you get a doctor to visit if that is the case? Surely there is a duty of care?

This^ You stated in your last post you were unable to see a doctor and didn't leave often. You didn't say never.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Not trying to be rude, but this is absolutely terrible and potentially dangerous advice. At not time should someone be suggesting a specific diet over going to see a doctor.

Diabetes can be life threatening. If the blood sugar drops to low you can become confused, have seizures, as well as become unresponsive. If not corrected, your heart will stop. If blood sugar is too high, you can slip into a coma or DKA which can also be life threatening. Chronic high blood sugar that is left untreated can cause organ failure, as well as nerve damage/pain. It can even result in amputations because wounds don't heal as well/poor circulation.

Don't all of those sound really bad? (If your answer here is no, there are other issues at play). Suggesting a diet over getting tested and getting things under control by a doctor is dangerous. Please don't suggest such things.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Get tested so you know for sure. A lot of conditions can have similar symptoms. If you do have diabetes by all means see a nutritionist. The ones I saw were useless and I found more help at bloodsugar101.com.com. But please get tested first.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

This is terrible advice.

Can you elaborate please? Why is the advice bad?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I'm having the worst time finding a calulator to determine how many calories and carbs per day I should have. It's likely that I'm either insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. I'm 260 pounds, 5'4", 35 years old, and sedentary - though I want to change that. Do any calculators exist that would take all that into factor? I'd appreciate any tips or advice. Thank you!

If you think you may be insulin resistant or pre-diabetic, you should see your PCP asap so you can undergo the tests used to diagnose such conditions.

I am insulin resistant. I have seen a few dietitians who all recommended the following:
    • 15-30 grams of carbs per meal
    • No more than 15 grams of carbs per snack
    • Protein with every meal & snack
    • Mediterranean diet
    • Limit simple carbohydrates i.e. baked goods and fruit (two servings per day).
    • Stick to complex carbs i.e. legumes, beans, brown rice, whole grains, quinoa, veggies.
    • Eat lots of healthy fats i.e. fish, olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, eggs.

Please do not make any changes to your diet until you are tested for insulin resistance and diabetes.

Exactly this, though I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist and nutritionist rather than your PCP.

Start with the PCP who can order the necessary tests. If anything shows up, there can be a referral to an endocrinologist, diabetic educator, registered dietician, or whoever can be the most helpful.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »

This is terrible advice.

Can you elaborate please? Why is the advice bad?

I just exaplained why it is terrible advice.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    According to a blood glucose testing kit and information on diabetes.org, I'm either insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. Yes, I need to get to a doctor - that is very difficult as I've been homebound for years. That is something I'm working on.

Until then, I'm looking for all the information I can get. I realize that none of you are doctors, that's why I'm asking for opinions from people that have dealt with similar issues. I understand that people are different, but I'm still interested in reading the information. I need a healthier lifestyle regardless and I want to learn everything possible from all different methods, all the options available so that I can determine - eventually with a doctor - what my best course of action is.

Did you do a glucose meter or a home A1C? If you just did the meter, I would strongly suggest getting an A1C since that is the main diagnostic test for pre-diabetes or diabetes. Do that as you work up your courage to leave the house and go to a doctor for a real diagnosis.

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm 260 pounds, 5'4", 35 years old, and sedentary...

BMR is ~1400ish, TDEE is ~1700ish.

20% deficit puts you at ~1350 calories/day.

MFP goal set at 1850 ???