How many calories/carbs? Insulin resistant

Options
I'm having the worst time finding a calulator to determine how many calories and carbs per day I should have. It's likely that I'm either insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. I'm 260 pounds, 5'4", 35 years old, and sedentary - though I want to change that. Do any calculators exist that would take all that into factor? I'd appreciate any tips or advice. Thank you!

Replies

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, get tested, then go with your doctor's recommendations. See if you can get a referral to a registered dietician.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    From the govt. website for people with diabetes: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/carbohydrate_ez/index.aspx

How much carbohydrate do I need each day?
    The daily amount of carbohydrate, protein, and fat for people with diabetes has not been defined—what is best for one person may not be best for another. Everyone needs to get enough carbohydrate to meet the body’s needs for energy, vitamins and minerals, and fiber.
    Experts suggest that carbohydrate intake for most people should be between 45 and 65 percent of total calories. People on low-calorie diets and people who are physically inactive may want to aim for the lower end of that range.

Because you don't know what your status is, take kgeyser's excellent advice above.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would just go with the standard calorie deficit diet at the moment and then tweak it as you go along.

Have you been to the doctor recently for a blood panel screening and diabetes test? I would encourage you to do that if you have not.

My dh has metabolic syndrome (prediabetic, high cholesterol, heart attack and triple bypass surgery Dec. 2012) and has lost 50lbs in the last year just with eating at a deficit. He did not change anything he ate, he just reduced the amount he ate.

He goes to a "Lipid Clinic" since his cholesterol is abnormally high and the fact he had a heart attack/bypass surgery.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    kekagel wrote: »
    I'm having the worst time finding a calulator to determine how many calories and carbs per day I should have. It's likely that I'm either insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. I'm 260 pounds, 5'4", 35 years old, and sedentary - though I want to change that. Do any calculators exist that would take all that into factor? I'd appreciate any tips or advice. Thank you!

Have you actually been diagnosed by a Doctor? It sounds like you haven't if you really think you are go and see a Doctor.

Also to add I've Just had a quick look at your diary if you think your Insulin resistant because your not losing weight. I think the bigger issue could be you don't log consistently. If you don't log accurately and consistently it's difficult to know if your eating at a calorie deficit to lose weight
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

If you think you may be insulin resistant or pre-diabetic, you should see your PCP asap so you can undergo the tests used to diagnose such conditions.

I am insulin resistant. I have seen a few dietitians who all recommended the following:
    • 15-30 grams of carbs per meal
    • No more than 15 grams of carbs per snack
    • Protein with every meal & snack
    • Mediterranean diet
    • Limit simple carbohydrates i.e. baked goods and fruit (two servings per day).
    • Stick to complex carbs i.e. legumes, beans, brown rice, whole grains, quinoa, veggies.
    • Eat lots of healthy fats i.e. fish, olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, eggs.

Please do not make any changes to your diet until you are tested for insulin resistance and diabetes.

ETA: The number of carbs all depends on your individual body. One person with IR can eat 150 grams of carbs a day, while another can only eat 25 grams.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Didn't you post a thread like this a few days ago?

As what I said previously, the amount of carbs a diabetic needs varies from individual to individual, and you should talk to your doctor to be tested if you think you are a diabetic. A type 2 managing with diet and exercise might find that eating 40g of carbs per day controls his BG the best, while another type 2 might find that they can eat closer to 250g of carbs per day without adverse BG effects.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

If you think you may be insulin resistant or pre-diabetic, you should see your PCP asap so you can undergo the tests used to diagnose such conditions.

I am insulin resistant. I have seen a few dietitians who all recommended the following:
    • Mediterranean diet
    • Stick to complex carbs i.e. legumes, beans, brown rice, whole grains, quinoa, veggies.
    • Eat lots of healthy fats i.e. fish, olive oil, avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, eggs.

Please do not make any changes to your diet until you are tested for insulin resistance and diabetes.

Exactly this, though I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist and nutritionist rather than your PCP.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Honestly, I would just go with the standard calorie deficit diet at the moment and then tweak it as you go along.

Have you been to the doctor recently for a blood panel screening and diabetes test? I would encourage you to do that if you have not.

My dh has metabolic syndrome (prediabetic, high cholesterol, heart attack and triple bypass surgery Dec. 2012) and has lost 50lbs in the last year just with eating at a deficit. He did not change anything he ate, he just reduced the amount he ate.

He goes to a "Lipid Clinic" since his cholesterol is abnormally high and the fact he had a heart attack/bypass surgery.

He has all of those conditions but didn't change the way he eats…? That's frightening since diet plays a large role in pre diabetes, high cholesterol, and heart attacks.

In order to prevent full-blown type 2 diabetes, lower cholesterol, and prevent future heart attacks, he should probably be eating differently than he way he was prior to diagnosis… Just saying.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    edited February 2015
    Options

• Mediterranean diet

Exactly this, though I would recommend seeing an endocrinologist and nutritionist rather than your PCP.

She needs to see her PCP first to get a referral to an endocrinologist. And she should see a registered dietitian- not a nutritionist. Sadly, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist and have little to no educational background.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The way you phrased this question, it sounds like you are just guessing. Go to your doctor to either be diagnosed or for them to tell you that you are not. That is step 1.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »

Have you actually been diagnosed by a Doctor? It sounds like you haven't if you really think you are go and see a Doctor.

She had a previous thread about this topic.

OP, not to repeat what I said there, but you should be getting to a doctor as soon as possible before making changes on your own. This is something you really do not and should not be undertaking alone.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options

• Mediterranean diet

She needs to see her PCP first to get a referral to an endocrinologist. And she should see a registered dietitian- not a nutritionist. Sadly, anyone can call themselves a nutritionist and have little to no educational background.

Yes, good point!
  • kekagel
    kekagel Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    According to a blood glucose testing kit and information on diabetes.org, I'm either insulin resistant or pre-diabetic. Yes, I need to get to a doctor - that is very difficult as I've been homebound for years. That is something I'm working on.

Until then, I'm looking for all the information I can get. I realize that none of you are doctors, that's why I'm asking for opinions from people that have dealt with similar issues. I understand that people are different, but I'm still interested in reading the information. I need a healthier lifestyle regardless and I want to learn everything possible from all different methods, all the options available so that I can determine - eventually with a doctor - what my best course of action is.
  • SwankyTomato
    SwankyTomato Posts: 442 Member
    Options

He has all of those conditions but didn't change the way he eats…? That's frightening since diet plays a large role in pre diabetes, high cholesterol, and heart attacks.

In order to prevent full-blown type 2 diabetes, lower cholesterol, and prevent future heart attacks, he should probably be eating differently than he way he was prior to diagnosis… Just saying.

I wish diet did play a major role with his issues (that would be easy to fix!) unfortunately that is just not the case for my dh.

He has high blood cholesterol since his early 20's and genetics play a major factor in his metabolic syndrome.

It has not been an easy road, that is for sure. Believe me, I wish he would become a vegan and exercise daily, however at the moment he is working just to eat a little better an getting his knee looked at. Baby steps.....

• kekagel
    edited February 2015
    Options
    For the record, just because somebody says eat 25g of carbs, etc. doesn't mean that's what is best for me. I thought surely there would be a calculator available online for reference.
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    get a doctor to do a house call, if your house bound :)
  • kekagel
    Options
    I've been trying for years to get a doctor to come here. Please if you know of a way to do that, let me know.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

• Mediterranean diet

Yes, good point!

That's not exactly true. For much of the US it is (not all), but not everywhere. In some places nutritionist is also a legally protected term.
  • azulvioleta6
    Options
    Tracking and seeing what works best for you over time is how you determine exactly what the best numbers are for you. As far as I know, there is no magic formula.

The numbers suggested above are a really good place to start. Personally, I have found that I need to eat slightly fewer carbs per day than the guidelines suggest. There is nothing about eating that way that is going to hurt you. You DO need to see a endocrinologist though--my biggest concern about you diagnosing yourself is that you could have full-blown diabetes and not know it--potentially very dangerous.
  • MythicalMe84
    MythicalMe84 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic and what works for me may not work for others and what worked for me once might not work for me again. It is an ongoing battle. I would research what the recommended allowance is and tweak it to what works for you.