How far would you be willing to walk for the gym?

Options

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Three hours to, five minutes from
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If time was not an issue, a 30 minute jog to and from the gym would be ideal. Because time is an issue, and I usually have around an hour total, I have a to choose a gym really close, like 5 minutes away.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Well I don't know. Maybe 20 minutes.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I love the people who circle the gym parking lot three times looking for a good parking spot, then go inside and hit the treadmill.

(*)
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    I walk to the gym. It's about a mile and a half, which is great. I'd walk further but how much further? Idk.

It's a measurable distance; the word you need is farther, not further.
  • gemm30
    gemm30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    The gym I use is a ten min walk, there is another about 30 minute walk which is cheaper, but knowing myself I know I wouldn't want to walk there in the cold/rain etc. I may be paying a little more but I'm using it daily without having to convince myself to go.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I walk to the gym. It's about a mile and a half, which is great. I'd walk further but how much further? Idk.

Don't be that person.
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Don't be that person.

I'll be whatever person I want to be. Furthermore, I was actually trying to help the person.
  • wootrition
    wootrition Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I walk 30 minutes each way, which is plenty.
  • needernt
    needernt Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I think the best gym the nearest to your home not the more advanced one. You must have access to it whenever is needed, no matter the climate is sunny, windy, snowy or fine.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    When I first joined a gym, I chose one that was a half block from my apartment so I had minimal excuses not to go. Now I'm a city-wide member of my YMCA. My closest trip is as 15-20 minute walk and the rest are about a 20-30 minute subway ride. When its warmer, the closest is a 5-minute bike ride and the others I go to most frequently are 15-20 minutes. I also will travel to one that takes about 45 minutes public transportation or 30 minutes biking.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Mine is just under a mile, which is great because it gives me a nice little warm up and cool down at the end.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    30 minutes
  • Shawshankcan
    Options
    One of my training partners walks 90 minutes one way to train.
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't use a gym but do use a treadmill at work. I do most of my exercise at home and purchased the equipment I needed including a sandbag, skipping rope, kettle-bells and kick/punchbag. I love my punchbag :D
    wq9t5btqlwij.jpg
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Its all about motivation. My gym is a few blocks from my house. But if there is no desire or motivation it won't matter how close.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Before I could drive I'd walk 40 minutes to my gym, but that's because I think it has a lovely atmosphere, a massive range of equipment, is usually fairly quiet, and I've been going there for years so motivating myself to go is typically quite easy. If I was starting out, or wasn't as fond of my gym, I would pick one as close as possible to remove the potential excuse.
  • Mrsallen6_11
    Mrsallen6_11 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I would walk 500 miles.

And then walk 500 more? Just to be the man who walked a 1,000 miles to fall down on the gym floor?

Sorry couldn't help myself.

The gym I'm about to start going to is 5 miles from my house, I'd walk it but we don't have sidewalks out here in BFE and I don't want to become road kill on my way to workout. The park that I run at is 3 miles though.
  • jimmckenna68
    jimmckenna68 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    RUN!!
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The first gym I went to was about 2 to 3 miles from my home. I biked it a few times, but never walked to the gym. The next one was about a mile, and I would walk there if I felt like it, but still drove more often. When I moved my gym was about 3 or 4 miles, and I stopped going, so I switched to the one that was about a half a mile from my apartment. My current gym is .4 miles from my apartment, and unless I'm in a hurry to be somewhere after the gym or the weather is bad, I usually walk to get there.

I never did see the reasoning behind driving to the gym to do cardio in good weather. My walk to the gym is used as my warm up and cool down after my workout.