How far would you be willing to walk for the gym?

Options

Replies

• sp940
    sp940 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No gym is close enough to walk home from after leg day. Pushing the gas pedal down is the limit lol
  • brightwell44
    brightwell44 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Any further than 15 minutes and I would just workout at home. I mainly do body weight circuit workouts though. You can do that anywhere
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Daiako wrote: »
    I walk to the gym. It's about a mile and a half, which is great. I'd walk further but how much further? Idk.

It's a measurable distance; the word you need is farther, not further.

Don't be that person.
    +1 don't be that person.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I walk to the gym. It's about a mile and a half, which is great. I'd walk further but how much further? Idk.

Maybe she needed farther for her post, but I bet she didn't need a father for it.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    got my gym at home, got Multi Gym, Safety Rack with weights, and proper Exercise Bike, so I am very lucky :)
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! The closest gym to me is 10 15 minutes away but its super expensive. My other option is 30 mins away but its well within my budget, super friendly and female only so I am considering going for the latter.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I don't walk, but I do cycle to my gym on some Saturdays...it's about a 16 mile round trip. I used to do the same at my old gym which was about a 20 mile round trip...that would be pretty much my max I would say...I'm usually pretty well shot when I leave the gym.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Don't be that person.

I'll be whatever person I want to be. Furthermore, I was actually trying to help the person.
    Don't bother trying to help the folks here. In fact, don't be surprised if some numb ninny reports you for your help, and you get a warning. Correcting diction, grammar and spelling is a strict no-no on the forums. How's that for flaccid?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

Don't be that person.
    +1 don't be that person.
    and don't be surprised if this one ^ actually reports you.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    OP I had this choice last year. I used to walk 45 mins each way. It was a great warm up and cool down and helped me get extra exercise.

Its time consuming plus id say it depends on motivation and the weather.
    Try walking the distance a few times and see how it feels for you. Take notice of when its open and what time you will visit.
    Have a look at what sort of contracts on offer i.e if you can cancel after a month rather than a year give it a go. I liked the gym it was a nice walk, but as winter came I changed to one close by. The one you describe seems great and worth a go, but think of whether you are motivated to go when its cold , dark or wet.

The alternative for the 30 min one will be to get a bike.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I think it would be too far for me when the walk started to mean that I got less time at the gym, or meant that I couldn't go unless I had significant time put aside.
  • rocknrollfire
    rocknrollfire Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i don't drive, so walking IS my main way of getting around. i live about 5 minutes down the street from my YMCA and i'm pretty thankful for that. the farthest away i've ever lived from my gym was a few years ago, at 15 minutes walking. i live in a cold snowy climate and i would find lots of excuses not to go if it was any farther. living close by means that, even if i'm short on time, i can always squeeze in a gym visit.

anyway, i work on my feet 40 hours a week. i walk enough. i want to do other things; that is why i joined a gym.
  • VeggieHero
    VeggieHero Posts: 19 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The closest gym is 30 minute drive away from my home :( i workout mainly at home and outside running...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Don't be that person.
    +1 don't be that person.
    and don't be surprised if this one ^ actually reports you.
    bwahahahahahahaha!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    ]
    Don't bother trying to help the folks here. In fact, don't be surprised if some numb ninny reports you for your help, and you get a warning. Correcting diction, grammar and spelling is a strict no-no on the forums. How's that for flaccid?

Really, if I wasn't trying to help and was trying to be a dick, I would have said something like farther* or "fixed that for you" instead of giving an explanation. If someone wants to report me, go for it.
  • Daisies86
    Daisies86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at a gym that takes 10min to drive to, 30 mins home (peak time traffic). It's further than I have travelled before but it's a woman only, small class, weights only gym. It's more expensive but i am learning so much and, for instance, this morning, it was me and one other there so it was like a personal training session.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    My gym is a 50 minute round walk, but it's a lovely walk along a lake, so it's pretty easy to go.
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I used to walk 30 ish mins to the gym. Not one is 20 mins away the other less than 5. I refuse to go to a gym where I'd need to get transport.
  • sparkles212
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Depends. Are you British?

What's her nationality got to do with anything?

I used to walk to my old gym, it was a good 40 minutes but I didn't mind as I classed it as my warm up. Now my gym is about 20 seconds away from where I work - so I have no excuse!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    So if you could only access the gym by walking, how many minutes far would be your limit? How far is too far?

It depends on a lot of factors:
    1) what are my goals at the gym?
    2) can I accomplish the same goal at home or closer to my home?
    3) how much free time do I have?
    4) does a long walk there and back help or hinder my goal?
    5) what’s the weather like?

If it was necessary for my goal, walking wouldn’t hinder my goal, I have the time and the weather is ok, I’d walk as far as 5 miles (75 minutes) to and 5 miles (75 minutes) back. But then, I love walking.