Grocery store nightmare

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    melifairy wrote: »
    Btw, I wasn't blaming the grocery store for making me overweight. I was simply stating that they make it hard to resist the foods that I know, personally for me, are trigger foods. That's it. I know that ultimately it is up to me to choose what and how much to eat. The grocery store I was in however... the first thing you walk into is the bakery section. You are bombarded by cakes, cookies, chips, soda, etc. as soon as you walk in. I know it is my choice to buy those items or not. All I am saying is that I wish there was a store where I live that had a healthier mindset. :)

You need to have self-control.
  • melifairy
    melifairy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Btw, I wasn't blaming the grocery store for making me overweight. I was simply stating that they make it hard to resist the foods that I know, personally for me, are trigger foods. That's it. I know that ultimately it is up to me to choose what and how much to eat. The grocery store I was in however... the first thing you walk into is the bakery section. You are bombarded by cakes, cookies, chips, soda, etc. as soon as you walk in. I know it is my choice to buy those items or not. All I am saying is that I wish there was a store where I live that had a healthier mindset. :)

Yep, that is what I'm working on. I wasn't aiming for this discussion to be a troll fight. I was looking for support or like minded people who had the same difficulties.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Yep, that is what I'm working on. I wasn't aiming for this discussion to be a troll fight. I was looking for support or like minded people who had the same difficulties.

You've found them.

Try to listen to them. You need to listen to them. Listening to them will make you better.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Ok, so I'll admit something.

I get really stressed out by asian markets, japanese ones in particular. Not being able to read what the eff something is, paired with everything in an individual package, and all the waste... Or in the chinese markets, where you're shopping, the entire aisle is empty, but there's a dude rubbing his junk on your thigh on one side of you, and an old grandma cramming her elbow into your kidney just because you exist.

Oh, and don't even think about touching stuff, it ain't fun to get bit by a turtle that died a couple minutes ago. Seriously.

Wtf db. Lmfao.

I'm serious, my intro to chinese markets was in china town in SF. First day I got elbowed so hard in the kidney I pissed blood for a day, from a little old grandma. I also almost got bit by a turtle that i watched a guy kill and dissect to lay out for sale.

That was a trial by fire, it's suited me well in Boston when I would go to trader joes over by harvard. The place was like a rugby scrum, and those little ol grandmas trained me to give no quarter.
  • tamawamara
    tamawamara Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm glad you can eat all these bad foods and still lose weight. I hope to be able to do that someday too. :) I guess my main point was, all the advertisements and the way they position things in the store is to get you to buy the unhealthy stuff. Why don't they make it harder to find the "bad" stuff and easier to find the good stuff? :)

Why bother hiding it and making it more difficult to find food that is perfectly fine to eat? You can also eat all these "bad" foods because CICO. Although you will probably have an easier time practicing true moderation if you stop looking at food as being good or bad, based on the many experiences of lots of users here who have been successful in their goals.

^^^ This. And they're in to make money On impulse buys. I Work in a store and am surrounded by all kinds of yummy looking/smelling food all day. Like others said w/ This and other social situations,have a plan, don't go in hungry, less chance to pick up stuff not on your list/menu for the week. Go in Earlier in am or at night, easier to get in and out. I've lost about 40 lbs eating a wide variety of foods. If you have too much food one day , bite it, write, and move on... .I Don't find shopping a nightmare, the customers can be a bit much sometimes though.;)
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Last time I went grocery shopping, I found red velvet oreos. That was a pretty awesome trip.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Basic Plan for Grocery store - stick to the outer ring. Produce, Meat, Dairy. I avoid the frozen section and visit the rice, noodles, ethic isle occasionally. Most of my cart is fresh produce. I have a large freezer at home so I stock up on meat when it's on sale. The rest is cheese, almond milk, yogurt and cottage cheese EVERY trip. I realize there will be things you will need in the inner part, but if you do 75% of your shopping on the outer ring you will find groceries are much easier.

Yup, just this
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

It did kind of sound like you were blaming the grocery store and advertising for society's weight problems. Your finger seemed to be pointing outward and not inward.

And though you're saying now your finger is pointing inward, it still seems like you're focused on externals. You are not 'bombarded' by cakes and cookies any more than you are bombarded by lettuce and tomatoes.
    Your problem with cakes and cookies is your problem, not your grocers problem.

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I love the grocery store! I love food!!!

Me, too <3 And, it's the one shopping excursion I can enjoy by myself, sans children (they've no interest in coming with me). It's a lovely, peaceful 1 hour of my life every week. "Me" time. And yes, I love looking at new products and what not--some are fun or convenient things I may or may not choose to buy. Most things I purchase are ordinary, basic produce, meat, and dairy items. No one's making me do it, nor do I feel compelled or tricked into buying anything.

To the "you can't get fat eating only veggies and fruit" comment. LULZ, if I had the time or desire, and if anyone gave two hoots about lil' old me, I'd totally take the challenge--sort of a reverse "Twinkie Diet" (they guy who lost weight eating nothing but snack cakes and sweets). I would show how to GAIN weight eating solely fruits and veggies.

Mixed spinach and veggie salad: 200 calories for a big ol' bowl
    Various mixed steamed and raw veggies 3-6 cups: 300 calories
    10 bananas: 1,000 calories (approx.)
    3 avocados: 1,000 calories
    5 apples: 500 calories

That's 3,000 calories right there (estimated), and that's enough for me to gain 2 lbs/ week (1,000 cal/day surplus).

There was a thread about Banana Girl and someone mentioned that they gained weight and had crazy symptoms with the 30 bananas a day diet.

Back when I was in the vaguely-healthy-but-not-that-aware-of-calories mindset, I gained weight. But it's hard to tell if that's from too much fruit or the "bad food" binges I kept going on.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh gosh Wegmans. <snip> Their prices kinda suck too, to be honest, and there's no flyer for sales so I'd rather rely on the stores that do have a flyer for my grocery shopping. But typically I can buy the same things at Shop Rite or Acme for 30% less anyway.

I'm painfully cheap and I don't think Wegmans is very pricey. I check the circulars online before shopping, and if something is significantly cheaper elsewhere, I'll get it elsewhere. But usually, at least with the things I buy regularly, it's about the same price.

The only thing I miss that other stores have and Wegmans doesn't is the day-old bargain bin for produce. They just shift anything that's getting nearing the expiration date over to their cafe and have it used there.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    How are THEY making it difficult for you? Are they supposed to hide all that food before you come to the store? What if someone else's weakness is like... corn, and they literally eat 5000 calories worth of corn every day? How will they accommodate for everyone who has preferred "I'd like to eat a lifetime supply of this" foods?

The bakery section is also filled with breads and non-sweet things.

And "healthy" is subjective and ever-changing. To have a generally healthy body revolves around looking at one's general lifestyle, genetics, and dietary context. Meaning that a cupcake isn't unhealthy just because it's a cupcake. But if all you eat are cupcakes, then your diet is unhealthy. Same goes for my example of corn; it's not healthy or unhealthy on its own, but if that's ALL you eat then your diet is unhealthy because your diet context results in you lacking essential nutrients.

Personally, I think that your mindset is the one that is unhealthy, and I can say this without feeling like I"m being rude because I had the exact same mindset for years. I also wound up developing a very unhealthy relationship with food and became obsessed with what I was allowed to eat. I also binged. And yo-yoed 15lbs of weigh after losing my initial 55ish lbs. No food is good or bad, healthy or unhealthy. Food provides nutrients, ALL food, and it's up to you to eat all foods in such a way that you can benefit from their vast nutritional benefits.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Ok, so I'll admit something.

I get really stressed out by asian markets, japanese ones in particular. Not being able to read what the eff something is, paired with everything in an individual package, and all the waste... Or in the chinese markets, where you're shopping, the entire aisle is empty, but there's a dude rubbing his junk on your thigh on one side of you, and an old grandma cramming her elbow into your kidney just because you exist.

Oh, and don't even think about touching stuff, it ain't fun to get bit by a turtle that died a couple minutes ago. Seriously.

I know those feels, we have an H Mart by me that I go to. And at least there none of the employees speak english, so they're no help.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

It did kind of sound like you were blaming the grocery store and advertising for society's weight problems. Your finger seemed to be pointing outward and not inward.

And though you're saying now your finger is pointing inward, it still seems like you're focused on externals. You are not 'bombarded' by cakes and cookies any more than you are bombarded by lettuce and tomatoes.
    Your problem with cakes and cookies is your problem, not your grocers problem.

Yes, sorry to pile on, but it really does sound like you need a healthy dose of some constructive criticism. In all your posts in this thread what I'm seeing is an unwillingness to address your issues by working on yourself, and a strong desire to find people to agree with you that grocery retailers should change their behavior because YOU have a problem with self-control.

Also, while it's true that "different things work for different people" and it's great to find "like-minded people" on MFP when they cheer you on to make healthier changes or help you brainstorm how to take charge and deal with shared challenges in your lives, it's utterly useless to simply surround yourself with people who will enable you by validating your unwillingness to make changes for yourself. Because one thing that doesn't work for anyone is shifting responsibility away from yourself.

I see a lot of comments in the forums from people whose response to advice that they need to practice moderation is "I can't do that, moderation might work for you but it doesn't work for me. I can't control myself around junk food." Here's another hard truth: for those of us it does work for, do you think it was easy when we started? Do you think it's easy now? Because speaking for myself, no, it was not easy and it continues to be a challenge.

After my first couple of months successfully losing weight by avoiding my kryptonite foods, I realized that I wasn't going to be successful in the long term by denying myself something particularly delicious like, say, pizza. Never have pizza again? Forever? No, realistically I knew I couldn't avoid pizza forever, and I had to learn to control myself around it or plan on failing. I remember posting worried comments on my own feed about my plan to try to eat pizza and make it fit into my calorie plan for the day. I remember that I did make it work. I also remember that it made me a little sad (okay, actually very sad) to stop eating when my planned piece of pizza was gone. But I did it. And I put myself to work trying to find better ways to make it work. Save more calories earlier in the day so I could have a larger serving? Roast a ton of delicious veggies to eat with my pizza and keep my mouth happy even when it wasn't actually full of pizza? Have a 4 oz glass of wine (85 calories) instead of a 12 oz beer (150 calories) to make it all work a little better? Check, check and check.

That was over a year ago. Now? It's easier, but it's not without effort. During the holidays, I enjoyed a social gathering centered on pizza, and I budgeted myself two slices for the night. I ate my first slice. It was delicious. I resisted the urge to eat my second slice right away because I knew it was going to be a long night and was trying to pace myself. I felt like a dog with a biscuit balanced on its nose until I finally let myself have that second slice. But am I scared of pizza now? No. Can I control myself around pizza? Yes ... with effort. It's an effort that only I am responsible for, no one else. It's not the job of grocery stores, my friends and family, or the universe to hide pizza from me. It's my job to control myself around it. Mostly I win. Sometimes I don't, entirely and eat a little over my goal. But I always try, and I'm not going to throw myself -- or you -- a pity party because it's hard. That's not going to help either of us get better.

Final caveat: I honestly doubt this is really the case, but if you're seriously tried moderation -- really put in an effort and accepted that you may feel "teh sadz" when there's delicious food around and you're going to choose not to put it in your mouth -- and failed over and over again, maybe you've got an eating disorder. In which case what you need to do is 1) admit you have a problem and 2) get professional help dealing with it. What's not going to help is surrounding yourself with "like-minded people" who will validate your belief that out-of-control eating is not only inevitable but normal and the job of others to prevent for you. If it's at a level where you actually try hard to control yourself and you fail repeatedly, it's a disorder that needs professional attention.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I love the grocery store! I love food!!!

Yeah I'm excited every time I go now. Can't wait to see all the new yummy stuff they come up with.

Exactly. In another thread someone mentioned red velvet Oreos. I had no idea there was such a thing, but I will definitely be looking for them.

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    tl;dr Comment on my own post above:

Today's thought on people who say "moderation doesn't work for me": if a dog can balance a biscuit on his nose and not eat it, you can master moderation. That dog can control his urges when he makes an effort, and he is willing to eat his own poop the rest of the time. All you need to do is try.
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the store when I'm hungry. Then I'll be tempted to buy junk food. If I'm full or not hungry I'm completely fine. :)
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »

Final caveat: I honestly doubt this is really the case, but if you're seriously tried moderation -- really put in an effort and accepted that you may feel "teh sadz" when there's delicious food around and you're going to choose not to put it in your mouth -- and failed over and over again, maybe you've got an eating disorder. In which case what you need to do is 1) admit you have a problem and 2) get professional help dealing with it. What's not going to help is surrounding yourself with "like-minded people" who will validate your belief that out-of-control eating is not only inevitable but normal and the job of others to prevent for you. If it's at a level where you actually try hard to control yourself and you fail repeatedly, it's a disorder that needs professional attention.

Your whole post is absolutely perfect. Love it.
  • ImpracticalGirl
    ImpracticalGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Nope. But then again I eat all of these "bad" foods and I've lost 27 lbs, because food doesn't make people fat. Eating too much of ANY food makes people fat.

And "healthy" is subjective and changes throughout history, as well as general physical health being based on diet context and not the individual foods you eat.

It doesn't matter how much vegetables and fruit you eat..it won't make you fat at all. Eating processed chemical junk, excess oil and dairy can however make you fat!
    Because the calories in fruit magically disappear just before the banana hits your lips. :'(
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love MFP's take-no-prisoners posts. No excuses, no whining, no blaming your decisions on "them" and "they".

Nothing jumps in your shopping cart by itself. Everything you buy takes several actions on your part--you glance at it, take a second look, reach for it, pick it up, read the label (!), put it in the cart, put it on the conveyor and pay for it. At any point, you can stop yourself. I've retraced my steps in the store putting things back on the shelf; I've also told the cashier I changed my mind about certain items.

And I've eaten a whole bag of Milano's on the way home. Small steps.