Strength training

Options
vvallentyne
vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all! Does anyone know if strength training at home with dumbells and bodyweight resistance is enough? I am thinking maybe 2-3 times a week. The most important thing is that I get solid results so I want to adjust this idea if I need to. I am a 43 year old woman who would like to be strong without a gym membership if possible.

Replies

• loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    What weight are your dumbbells?
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    dumbells are great... but they need to be heavy enough to build some muscle.. 5 lbs arent going to cut it... yo have to lift enough that your muscles need to work... ie, can do 10 reps.. no more at a given weight.. and then keep increasing the weight.
  • vvallentyne
    Options
    Thanks guys. I ordered and 8 lb set as I am not quite ready for the 10 pound set I use for squats yet. I am just starting and plan to increase with time.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises are more than enough. I live on a diet of handstand pushups, pistol squats, L-sits and bridges three times a week. Haven't touched a weight in over 6 months & stronger than ever. Check out Ash Kalym - book & YouTube, and GMB Fitness.
  • vvallentyne
    Options
    That is an impressive workout! Thanks for the help.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Bodyweight strength program books:

You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

A good bodyweight program can be a little complicated, so getting a book is a good investment. YAYOG has an app that goes along with it that people seem to like.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Define "results." - 10lb dumbbells aren't going to cut it for much. You're better off doing one of the above body weight programs.

I like YAYOG myself. I do it when I have back issues and can't touch the barbell.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    It would help if you defined your goals a bit more. Are your goals more strength based or aesthetic? I see you say strength, but you'd have to have more than 8 and 10 pound dumbbells to progress with strength gains
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially early on, you should be able to see gains in strength with just bodyweight and some dumbbells. But soon, you will progress and need to increase the load. Certain exercises can be modified to do that (e.g., wall pushes, push ups from knees, regular push ups, feet elevated push ups). Others will require you to increase the weight (heavier dumbbells, barbells, kettle bells, etc.).

• vvallentyne
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do not plan on sticking with the 10 lb dumbells long it is a starting point for me considering my strength level. They are heavy enough to exhaust my muscles. I am definitely going to check into the YAYOG thing as it seems logical to me and a good fit for my lifestyle. Lots of good webpages in here as well guys. Thanks for taking the time to get me started in a good direction.
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Sure, lots of people can get to their goals using just BW exercises and bands/dumbells.

I am not going to say it is the OPTIMAL mode of resistance training, but you can do a lot with just calisthenics and some bands tbh.
  • vvallentyne
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    It would help if you defined your goals a bit more. Are your goals more strength based or aesthetic? I see you say strength, but you'd have to have more than 8 and 10 pound dumbbells to progress with strength gains

Strength based goals I want nice shaped muscles but not too defined.
  • fireguychris
    fireguychris Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    it takes alot of work for females to get big muscles..
    lifting heavy wont make you look like a female bodybuilder, you need to specialize for that.. AFAIK..
    i see girls at my gym benching there body weight.. and their arms are not massive.. nice shape.. not big round defined..
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Hi There! I started lifting almost 3 months ago. I belong to a group here on MFP called Stronglifts 5x5 for women. I can say that weight lifting is just about the best thing I have done to improve my "shape" ever. I am a bit older than you (50) and am really excited that lifting "heavy" is really going to get me to where I want to be physically and to improve strength, coordination, mineral bone density, etc as I get older. I am also starting to see reductions in cellulite and I am definitely less of a "pear" than when I began.

As far as your goals, you will see the results you want with a beginners program such as SL 5x5, AllPro Beginners, Starting Strength, etc. When you first start with the program, you start with low weights. Then, as you build up strength, and with proper form you progressively increase your weights. You definitely will not get huge, bulky muscles by doing this. I am currently doing 87.5 lb squats, 46.25 lb overhead press, 115 lb deadlifts, 82.5 lb barbell row and 65 lb bench press. It's not alot as compare to what the men do [or some of the women that are further along] but it's working. I also do some body weight training to complement this--mainly the Convict Conditioning workouts on Youtube. My current goals are to do 145 lb squats and deadlifts, which is my body weight. I also would like to do my first ever in my life pullup some time this year.

I hope what I have written helps. Lifting with 8-10 pound dumbbells, doing isolation lifts is not going to get you where you want to be. Only a well rounded program using compound lifts, like the ones I listed above, are going to.

Best wishes in your journey...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I ordered and 8 lb set as I am not quite ready for the 10 pound set I use for squats yet. I am just starting and plan to increase with time.

You might be better off getting a set of adjustable ones or your house will fill up with different weights!

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/gym-equipment/dumbbells-kettlebells/dumbbells/interchangable-dumbbell-sets?viewall=1&p=1
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    You don't have to lift heavy to build strength. I use between 8 and 12lb depending on what lets me keep my form correct.