Have you ever felt utterly ridiculous doing a work out? Share that cringe story here!

Options
123457»

Replies

• KatieLK14
    KatieLK14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    yesterday i was squatting with a higher weight than i'm used to (it was time to add more weight, what i was doing before was getting easy!) two guys who i semi-know from around campus were standing near me. The bar felt really heavy as I was finishing my set and i went "oh NOPE" and finished off with a garbage half squat thing and just put it back on the rack. They laughed really loudly and it was really embarassing....but i've seen both of them squat with less weight than I do so WHO CARES! :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    enchampion wrote: »
    ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA

I danced and cheered for 15 years and thought I would love it. It was awful the lady made us wear sarongs with jingles on them. I laughed the entire time and didn't get a workout at all. I will never do zumba again.

These are Arab hip scarves, or caderines in Spanish.

I've danced all my life, but I never tried belly dancing until I was in my 30s. Boy do I suck at that! It's intended for women with large hips and butts, with narrow waists. I'm exactly the opposite...
    1.) those jangly hip scarves- are not really "Arab hip scarves" they are what we call air port specials- and pretty much no one who is a full time student and or professional would use them.

Secondly- the bolded part.
    That is the biggest line of bullhockey. EVER.

Middle Eastern dance is a social dance- it is not "intended" for anyone. Men do it- small children do it- women do it.
    - All of them of all shapes- and sizes.

Please go right ahead and tell me this guy isn't doing raqs sharki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pn0Xu0epc

I'll give you one of the most famous Turkish Dancers as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-qrN3P1_TA

Thirdly

You could do it if you so chose. It takes time and effort. ANYONE can learn to dance- there is no such thing as "I have no rythm or coordination" everyone has them- people chose to just not use them- or let their own inhibitions get in the way. It has about jack all to do with your size and shape.

Some of the reasons "belly dancing"- or raqs sharki is difficult are the following:
    > Often requires layering skills (so patting your belly while rubbing your head kind of thing)
    >Requires musicality- and most of the music you hear is not in the time time signature- and the rythms are distinct to Egyptian, Turkish, or North African regions- so stuff we aren't familiar with- with accents all in weird a## places.
    >Requires getting to know your music on a comfort level that most people rarely know (Sweet Caroline, Stairway to Heaven and I got Friends in low places- the kind of music EVERYONE knows ALWAYS... that kind of familiarity) and it's HARD to get to that point.
    > it takes time to learn something outside your culture

and most of all

it takes letting go of yourself a little bit and realizing it's okay that you don't get it right away- and that it's a skill- and you WILL look and feel silly.

most people can't get past the first one long enough to touch the others- so they give up.

But- no it's not for women with big hips- or old women- or young women- or even for women at all- there are many genres and cultures that go with this- you can't just write off and entire dance form and the culture with it and say "oh well I'm not built like that"

That's so ignorant it isn't even funny.

*edit to add the fabulous Ozgen

All that and you didn't even AW your own dancing videos? For shame!
  • RonnieTiajuana
    RonnieTiajuana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was in college and had spent about a year mountain biking. One day i decided to buy a cool jersey to wear instead of my normal t-shirt. I came out of the house with my bike, helmet, shoes and cool new jersey. A couple of my non-riding buddies were outside. One of them looked at me and said to the others, "Look! A funny clown!" That was the first and last time I wore my cool new jersey.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Oh my God if I EVER get this arthritis under better control I am totally going to take a pole dancing class. :D I already have the stripper shoe collection (for clubbing. :P seriously now) and I just love this kind of thing. It's hot. I may feel stupid for a while, and land on my hard ol head, but... I can get over it, imagine the husbandly appreciation lol! I know he would be in favor! .... hurm. the eyeglasses would have to come off.... Watch instructor with glasses on, remove glasses to do moves... wish I could wear contacts.... What do legit exotic dancers do if they can't wear contacts and are blind as a bat? I should ask my friends list on my blog.....
  • dustyyellowstar
    dustyyellowstar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I was in college and had spent about a year mountain biking. One day i decided to buy a cool jersey to wear instead of my normal t-shirt. I came out of the house with my bike, helmet, shoes and cool new jersey. A couple of my non-riding buddies were outside. One of them looked at me and said to the others, "Look! A funny clown!" That was the first and last time I wore my cool new jersey.

Thats... really sad. I verbally said "Aww..." while reading this.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I go to zumba sometimes for fun and I feel ridiculous twerking. Reminds me that I need to buy my workout pants in a size smaller now though. Maybe I should try kosher zumba.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    enchampion wrote: »
    ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA

I danced and cheered for 15 years and thought I would love it. It was awful the lady made us wear sarongs with jingles on them. I laughed the entire time and didn't get a workout at all. I will never do zumba again.

These are Arab hip scarves, or caderines in Spanish.

I've danced all my life, but I never tried belly dancing until I was in my 30s. Boy do I suck at that! It's intended for women with large hips and butts, with narrow waists. I'm exactly the opposite...
    1.) those jangly hip scarves- are not really "Arab hip scarves" they are what we call air port specials- and pretty much no one who is a full time student and or professional would use them.

Secondly- the bolded part.
    That is the biggest line of bullhockey. EVER.

Middle Eastern dance is a social dance- it is not "intended" for anyone. Men do it- small children do it- women do it.
    - All of them of all shapes- and sizes.

Please go right ahead and tell me this guy isn't doing raqs sharki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pn0Xu0epc

I'll give you one of the most famous Turkish Dancers as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-qrN3P1_TA

Thirdly

You could do it if you so chose. It takes time and effort. ANYONE can learn to dance- there is no such thing as "I have no rythm or coordination" everyone has them- people chose to just not use them- or let their own inhibitions get in the way. It has about jack all to do with your size and shape.

Some of the reasons "belly dancing"- or raqs sharki is difficult are the following:
    > Often requires layering skills (so patting your belly while rubbing your head kind of thing)
    >Requires musicality- and most of the music you hear is not in the time time signature- and the rythms are distinct to Egyptian, Turkish, or North African regions- so stuff we aren't familiar with- with accents all in weird a## places.
    >Requires getting to know your music on a comfort level that most people rarely know (Sweet Caroline, Stairway to Heaven and I got Friends in low places- the kind of music EVERYONE knows ALWAYS... that kind of familiarity) and it's HARD to get to that point.
    > it takes time to learn something outside your culture

and most of all

it takes letting go of yourself a little bit and realizing it's okay that you don't get it right away- and that it's a skill- and you WILL look and feel silly.

most people can't get past the first one long enough to touch the others- so they give up.

But- no it's not for women with big hips- or old women- or young women- or even for women at all- there are many genres and cultures that go with this- you can't just write off and entire dance form and the culture with it and say "oh well I'm not built like that"

That's so ignorant it isn't even funny.

*edit to add the fabulous Ozgen

All that and you didn't even AW your own dancing videos? For shame!

When I posted on my wall I put up a clip ;)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I always do some kind of plyometric before I lift and one day I was doing some standing broad jumps and I felt a little goofy at first. Then I realized I jumped 8-feet and got over it.