Have you ever felt utterly ridiculous doing a work out? Share that cringe story here!

Options

Replies

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Yup. When I used to take step there were several times where I was always facing the wrong direction. After a while though I'd just laugh and wave at the class LOL.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Jogging, I tried to get into jogging, and realized why I had been avoiding it for my whole adult life.

Shinsplints and a big *kitten* upper body aren't a good combination.

Sometimes you have to work with the body you have.

I'm in your boat. Quit smoking, have 100 lbs to lose. Started walking. Started trying to jog short bursts while walking. Initially,couldn't make it twenty yards without sputtering and wanting to vomit. Now i'm up to 1/4 mile, and i slow to a fast walk to let my ankles recover, not because i'm about to blow chunks.

Keep at it. the human machine is incredible, as long as you challenge it in medically sound, reasonable ways.
  • JenWhite4022
    JenWhite4022 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I tried the Zumba DVD's at home and looked ridiculous. I couldn't keep up with the moves they were trying to teach me and it became more frustrating then helpful. So when I joined the Y I took a class hoping for the best and it was great! The instructor was helpful and actually slowed down to teach us the moves. I still looked ridiculous but the more I tried the better I got. :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Today. Just got back on a bicycle again, and I'm really wobbly and having a hard time getting off the thing without landing on my butt. So I just gave up and got off and started walking the bike past people who were out with their dogs. My neighbors are nice, none of them snickered at me.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have no coordination, I look like a doofus just trying to walk sometimes. Tried a hip-hop dance workout thing with my daughters dance instructor, OH MY GOD. IT was a wonderful burn but there was not one moment in his classes that I was even close to doing any of the moves correctly. Thankfully I'm at the point in my life that I really don't care what others think anymore, I just cracked jokes the whole time, aparently I'm much wittier when I'm struggling to breathe and stay on my feet at the same time
  • ishepelska
    ishepelska Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    TurboFire. Heard so many great things about it; ladies seem to love it, finding it fun and effective.
    Khm... All three times that I tried it, I cried and yelled in frustration. Those moves are impossible to repeat or memorize. Anyone who manages to do that is my hero.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Rarely.

I worked really hard doing ridiculous things. No one gives you *kitten* about doing anything if you're busting your butt to do it.

This is so completely and totally true.
  • dustyyellowstar
    dustyyellowstar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    marie3221 wrote: »
    during a swim class, my boob came out of my bathing suit. Even worse, my instructor was also a teacher at my high school, so no avoiding him!

Oh nooo!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Rarely.

I worked really hard doing ridiculous things. No one gives you *kitten* about doing anything if you're busting your butt to do it.

This is so completely and totally true.
    yep.

nice thing is too if you're busting you're rump- you're just honestly WAY to busy to be noticing if people are noticing you.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I'm also in the barbell hip thrust group. I always get someone staring at me when I do them but the worst was the old guy. He just draped himself over a machine, propped his chin up on his hand and openly stared while I did them. I swear if he'd had popcorn he'd have been eating it.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I tried a Zumba game for the Wii, I just couldn't get it. Not my thing. I don't even want to know what I looked like.

I'm doing Les Mills Combat right now, and while I love it, I can't seem to wrap my head around the jumping knees. I'm sure I look ridiculous as all 4 limbs flail out, and I land really heavily so I'm sure my neighbours are wondering what I'm doing. Don't care though, I'm having fun :)
  • Poodles56
    Options
    I always look ridiculous in the gym, ugly tennis shoes, pants that fit poorly, old T shirts - too cheap to buy nice gym clothes!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I have tried zumba LOL never again. I looked ridiculous trying to make the moves "sexy" LOL I have no sex appeal. I love to kickbox but I have more than once punched myself in the face.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap DVD with 5 different cardio workouts on it. Started one up and it was like..."step touch step touch JAZZ SQUARE PIVOT PIVOT STEP BALL CHANGE" and I literally just stood there with my middle finger pointed at the TV.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Box jumps when I could only jump on the 3" aerobic step. And even then, I was a klutz.
  • RGreenthumb
    RGreenthumb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    And I have punched myself in the face during kickboxing. Whoopsie.

Me too! Only I wasn't actually in the class at the time, but the changing room. I'd recently got engaged and was trying to work out how secure my ring was and whether to leave it on or not. I thought I'd test out a few moves and ended up whacking myself square on the chin. Ring stayed on though!
  • dustyyellowstar
    dustyyellowstar Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I bought a cheap DVD with 5 different cardio workouts on it. Started one up and it was like..."step touch step touch JAZZ SQUARE PIVOT PIVOT STEP BALL CHANGE" and I literally just stood there with my middle finger pointed at the TV.

Lol! I know the feeling.
  • takumar
    Options
    I was so unstable and spastic in a Bodyflow class that the participant behind me eventually just packed up and left half way through. She probably thought I was going to eventually topple on her- best to leave this train wreck.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Every time I go to the gym I feel ridiculous. Especially when lifting. Even if it's just walking on the treadmill. I feel like everyone's looking at the extremely sweaty, fat woman who's panting at walking 3 mph.

I have no balance when it comes to doing barbell squats. The last time I did squats I fell backwards and hit my head on the barbell. This was months ago and I still have that bump on the back of my head. I may see a doctor about getting it reduced/removed. I haven't squatted since, but only because I really haven't been feeling weight lifting lately.

The same day, I started doing bench presses for the first time. I was being ambitious. I had no problem with 95 lbs the first few sets, but then I couldn't lift the bar up off my chest. I know how to get out of a failed bench press, though, so I just rolled it down to get it off.

I was already embarrassed during the workout, so failing at doing the workout just made my day.... but I still felt rather good after all that, though.
  • thecharizardtamer
    thecharizardtamer Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    There's an exercise called the Fire Hydrant, you kneel with your hands, forearms, and elbows on the floor, you raise your right leg out to the side. 10 reps, never fails people stop and stare, it's so funny.