Have you ever felt utterly ridiculous doing a work out? Share that cringe story here!

Options

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Maybe not ridiculous but very self-conscious and out of place the first time I walked on the squash court wearing a shin to thigh knee brace and having piled on a load of weight in a short time.

But the feeling of playing competitive sport again after 3 months on crutches and being told "you're handicapped - get used to it" by my Doctor was priceless.
  • SarahHowells1
    SarahHowells1 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I did zumba and loved it... I probably looked similar to the OP and I was in a huge class... but I really didn't care hahaha sometimes I feel ridic when I go for a run on the treadmill and come out of the room drenched in sweat so much that I look as if I had a shower...
  • kayleighalford9
    kayleighalford9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    im the fattest person at my gym classes i just think suck it up close my eyes and get on with it lol
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    My trainer showed me hip thrusts using the leg extension machine, I wasn't uncomfortable when he was there, but the next session when I went to do it in my own, I was sure everyone was staring. Just maneuvering to get into position is awkward.

I would never do these at my current brotastic gym. No way
  • msbengbeng
    msbengbeng Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am a natural 36 H and I am in a Uniformed Service. I look ridiculous during most PT sessions and I feel like I am carrying a ruck sack backwards when I run. At 18 I was mortified in basic training, but now I realize no one really cares :wink:
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to make sure I go 'back' enough when I squat, as I have a tendency to lean forward onto my toes. Yesterday I took that far holding a heavier medicine ball than I usually use, and rocked backward onto my butt. Still holding onto the ball, still fixed in the squat position but upside down on the matt, and stayed frozen like that for a good few seconds trying to figure out why I was now looking at my knees and the gym ceiling.
  • jazzy550
    jazzy550 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    My trainer showed me hip thrusts using the leg extension machine, I wasn't uncomfortable when he was there, but the next session when I went to do it in my own, I was sure everyone was staring. Just maneuvering to get into position is awkward.

I would never do these at my current brotastic gym. No way

"Brotasic" LOL!!!!!
  • Leyshinka
    Leyshinka Posts: 54 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The first time I had to do a squat with weights was with a male personal trainer who kept shouting "butt out" and "lower, lower". I couldn't even get to a right angle squat and this was at the squats racks which is at the centre of the gym with all the boys watching. I felt very akward.

Now I stick it out with no shame and hit the floor :D
  • subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I was working with a trainer a couple days a week in 2013 and he had me doing these things, I think they're called bear walks or something. Basically you put your hands down and walk your feet up to them, then walk your hands out again, then walk your feet up, and so on, all the way across the floor. My shirt was kind of loose, so it kept falling up when I was at my most vertical point and my floppy belly was hanging out for all to see. I kept having to use one hand to pull the shirt down again, which is super awkward when you're doing that exercise. So embarrassing.
  • daizzi
    daizzi Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Zumba yes! Here's my motto when I am shaking my stuff....Those skinny girls can even begin to compete with all of this! Yes I am overweight but hey I'm having fun and that's what counts!
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    during a swim class, my boob came out of my bathing suit. Even worse, my instructor was also a teacher at my high school, so no avoiding him!
  • marie3221
    marie3221 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the one and only time I did Zumba I looked like I was being electrocuted.

hahaha! this just made my day!
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have the balance of a baby deer and struggle even through the cool down stretches, but my class teachers always say not to compare yourself with the person next to you, just to do the best you can. Which is good, as my gym is the University one and I am surrounded by young, thin, pretty (or handsome) tweens who are a lot fitter than me.
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    barbell hip thrusts. Google it. Almost everyone will stare if you do them

Doing barbell hip thrusts is like a man eating a banana, you don't make eye contact with anyone while doing it.

The first couple of times through any of Shaun T's workouts (Insanity, T25) I always feel so out of place because the moves can be crazy until you figure them out. Once you do, though, they're tons of fun, until he makes you want to swear at him because he's making you do them AGAIN!!

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I hear you on zumba. Thankfully I did it at home too, and I looked like a duck trying to do ballet, even tripped over my own feet a couple of times, trying to catch up with a move the DVD did nearly a minute ago.

Tried a belly dancing DVD, and even the easiest moves, the arm moves, were just me swinging my arms around like a flailing robot.

Tried to learn cha cha, and looked like a child stomping the ground in a tantrum, a very very slow motion tantrum.

You get the idea... anything that requires grace or coordination is out of the question for me.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nuccia2012 wrote: »

Yesss. You haven't lived until you've done these in front of perfect strangers. Such an awesome movement if you can sort out the embarrassment factor.

Is it weird I'm looking forward to starting these simply because it'll make other people feel awkward?

But oh em gee, don't get me started on Step classes. I didn't do these in privacy.. I fell off the step at least 50 times in one session.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nuccia2012 wrote: »

Yesss. You haven't lived until you've done these in front of perfect strangers. Such an awesome movement if you can sort out the embarrassment factor.

Yep! People who normally go about their business all of a sudden need to see what you're doing. Also trying to get under the bar for the first time? HA! I looked like a crazy little worm wiggling to get it in place
  • enchampion
    enchampion Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA

I danced and cheered for 15 years and thought I would love it. It was awful the lady made us wear sarongs with jingles on them. I laughed the entire time and didn't get a workout at all. I will never do zumba again.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Before my knees bit the dust, I took Karate. Whenever it was my monthly I would get very uncoordinated. A side kick turned into a landing on my butt. Sensei was like "um... are you ok?" I told her "yeah, more or less, but Auntie Flo is visiting." "I understand," she says. I can't be the only one who got like that lol.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Rarely.

I worked really hard doing ridiculous things. No one gives you *kitten* about doing anything if you're busting your butt to do it.