Have you ever felt utterly ridiculous doing a work out? Share that cringe story here!

Options

Replies

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the one and only time I did Zumba I looked like I was being electrocuted.

95% of the people who do Zumba look like this. I used to do (authentic) Latin dancing at a fairly high level. I stand in the front of the class when I do Zumba. Whenever I turn around around, I am pretty horrified. Most people who do Zumba are awful, uncoordinated dancers.
  • Wenchiness
    Wenchiness Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Pluh-eease.... I've had people screaming to bring me anti-seizure medication quickly. But while standing in a horridly long line during Christmas shopping, and listening to Zumba tunes, I must have been rocking it a little because some dude walked by and dropped a dollar into my jacket hood. Yay me? Too bad more people don't do that, eh?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    enchampion wrote: »
    ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA

I danced and cheered for 15 years and thought I would love it. It was awful the lady made us wear sarongs with jingles on them. I laughed the entire time and didn't get a workout at all. I will never do zumba again.

These are Arab hip scarves, or caderines in Spanish.

I've danced all my life, but I never tried belly dancing until I was in my 30s. Boy do I suck at that! It's intended for women with large hips and butts, with narrow waists. I'm exactly the opposite...
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I tried a Les Mills Body Combat class at the gym last night. I'm not a stranger to this style of class, I have done Turbo Kick Boxing (TKB) before, which is more dance-y, but damn, the class last night had me feeling like a joke. I couldn't pick up the sequence and would go the opposite direction of everyone else, which is no fun when you are kicking! I ended up in the very back of the class, where I could make sure I wasn't going to accidentally punch or kick someone. I still put in 100% effort and kept moving, and man, I feel it today!
  • charlotteX92X
    charlotteX92X Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Another one for Zumba here :) always a few steps behind the rest of the class but as long as you're having fun it doesn't matter.
  • caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Turkish get ups. Enough said.

Agree!

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    enchampion wrote: »
    ZUMBA ZUMBA ZUMBA

I danced and cheered for 15 years and thought I would love it. It was awful the lady made us wear sarongs with jingles on them. I laughed the entire time and didn't get a workout at all. I will never do zumba again.

These are Arab hip scarves, or caderines in Spanish.

I've danced all my life, but I never tried belly dancing until I was in my 30s. Boy do I suck at that! It's intended for women with large hips and butts, with narrow waists. I'm exactly the opposite...
    1.) those jangly hip scarves- are not really "Arab hip scarves" they are what we call air port specials- and pretty much no one who is a full time student and or professional would use them.

Secondly- the bolded part.
    That is the biggest line of bullhockey. EVER.

Middle Eastern dance is a social dance- it is not "intended" for anyone. Men do it- small children do it- women do it.
    - All of them of all shapes- and sizes.

Please go right ahead and tell me this guy isn't doing raqs sharki
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6pn0Xu0epc

I'll give you one of the most famous Turkish Dancers as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-qrN3P1_TA

Thirdly

You could do it if you so chose. It takes time and effort. ANYONE can learn to dance- there is no such thing as "I have no rythm or coordination" everyone has them- people chose to just not use them- or let their own inhibitions get in the way. It has about jack all to do with your size and shape.

Some of the reasons "belly dancing"- or raqs sharki is difficult are the following:
    > Often requires layering skills (so patting your belly while rubbing your head kind of thing)
    >Requires musicality- and most of the music you hear is not in the time time signature- and the rythms are distinct to Egyptian, Turkish, or North African regions- so stuff we aren't familiar with- with accents all in weird a## places.
    >Requires getting to know your music on a comfort level that most people rarely know (Sweet Caroline, Stairway to Heaven and I got Friends in low places- the kind of music EVERYONE knows ALWAYS... that kind of familiarity) and it's HARD to get to that point.
    > it takes time to learn something outside your culture

and most of all

it takes letting go of yourself a little bit and realizing it's okay that you don't get it right away- and that it's a skill- and you WILL look and feel silly.

most people can't get past the first one long enough to touch the others- so they give up.

But- no it's not for women with big hips- or old women- or young women- or even for women at all- there are many genres and cultures that go with this- you can't just write off and entire dance form and the culture with it and say "oh well I'm not built like that"

That's so ignorant it isn't even funny.

*edit to add the fabulous Ozgen
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I once went to a yoga class that was WAY too advanced for me. I was barely keeping up. I thought yoga was sort of a laid back, relaxing, meditation...wrong! We never stopped moving! I could barely breathe, and the sweat was pouring off me.

No more advanced yoga classes for me.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Lifting the "dead" medicine ball overhead and hurling it to the ground for 3 sets makes me feel ridicuous every time. Love my trainer, but that exercise makes me feel foolish.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    One time I had just done my regular squat session and then my GF and I went straight to a hip hop dance class after.

We walk in and there are all of these people in their sweet dance clothes. I have some mma shorts and a singlet on and am walking a bit like a baby deer after my squats. Got through the class ok but was about half a beat behind the rest :stuck_out_tongue:

The other time was when I had an injured shoulder and had already done a lower body session that day. Had some time to kill. Did more bicep curls and tricep extension than I've done in my life in one session. #brotastic alright
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    @JoRocka - I think that poster was speaking to body image issues and maybe doesn't know a lot about belly dancing. I don't either. So, very cool of you to share what you know with us :) Great vids. (I notice there's almost zero impact and a lot of isotonic and isometric stuff, and it looks like fun... hmm.)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    oh and I had to laugh when I was running my strength class and I finished the stretches at the end with the "happy baby" yoga move. Some people just said, nope not doing that. Too embarrassing.

Fair enough.

It is a great stretch though.
  • bettieb1988
    bettieb1988 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I did one earlier that felt so ridiculous i switched to a different routine. It included a lot hip and pelvic thrusting, I felt like I was just humping the air. haha
  • stubraz
    Options
    Today I had to wait on a girl (no disrespect intended) to finish with her sets with the dumbbells because the next size up was too heavy. How
    embarrassing is that?
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I bought a cheap DVD with 5 different cardio workouts on it. Started one up and it was like..."step touch step touch JAZZ SQUARE PIVOT PIVOT STEP BALL CHANGE" and I literally just stood there with my middle finger pointed at the TV.
    Been there so many times. :smiley:

• ednawhatnot
    ednawhatnot Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Aqua Zumba. Seriously, how is anyone supposed to change direction quickly in water when they need a bigger turning circle than a North Sea ferry?
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I did feel silly when I once took a belly dancing class and the instructor produced those scarves with bells on (that JoRocka called airport specials) and made everyone wear them. I really enjoyed the class and didn't care about not getting all the moves right etc, since it was fun and a good workout. I just didn't enjoy being ordered to jingle as I was doing it!

Other than that, I always inwardly cringed whenever an instructor insisted on making you 'whoop' or shout or count out loud or whatever during a class. Thankfully doesn't happen at my current gym - maybe it's gone out of fashion?
  • jsanfor6
    jsanfor6 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nike Training Club...I feel like a discombobulated hippo! First time I did it, I was at the gym in my apartment complex. I was in the yoga room but it had a window and I left the door open. My pants were falling down, my shirt kept riding up, I was slipping and sliding all over the place. I was doing some modified pushups and panting and all red and sweaty and when I finished I looked up and noticed a tour of about 7 people staring at me. Probably because my chest was spilling out of my shirt. Cute. Welcome to the complex guys!
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Yes! Years ago I did a step class. I thought what could be hard about that...well I couldn't keep up with the moves and the poor instructor stopped the entire class three times to help me. I finally told her not to worry about me that I would keep trying. It was so embrassing that I never tried it again! So group classes that take coordination are out of my league :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    As someone pointed out elsewhere- yes- some people legit have balance issues- but most of the time it's fixable and improvable as is teaching someone how to catch the downbeat in a music- which is a skill. Most people focus on EVERYTHING else going on with dance steps- and the reality is you have to learn how to say 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 1...... and then learn you step on the one with your right foot- then the two with your left- or which ever.

Totally teachable- just take time- and people get really worked up about everything else- but if they focus on the feet and slow down- you can catch it.

Secondly- yes- neurological issues can impact balance and training- but for everyone else not suffering from neurological stuff- GOOD NEWS_ you too can learn if you'll let yourself ;) Bad news is- no you don't have "no rhythm" so stop using it as an excuse. :p