Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why?
    mwm158 wrote: »
    Animals are delicious.
    This. I need protein, I like protein, I like meat. Sorry for animals and all that, but you know.. food chain and all. Feeling bad about animals I eat isn't on my list of life priorities, despite what a classmate in 8th grade thought when showing me her PETA pamphlet.

Unless there are religious and actual moral reasons for your choice, and not just "hm I'm thinking about it because idk, maybe animal rights or something?" then just eat the meat. Your post sure doesn't sound like your convictions are all that strong.

Not that it matters in the slightest to you, but I logged my nutrients on Thursday, and I had 109 grams of protein (1542 calories, not a run day) on an ENTIRELY plant based (including my chardonnay)

It looks like you got 59g from plants and 50g from meat.

Yup. Wrong day posted. Fixed.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why?
    mwm158 wrote: »
    Animals are delicious.
    This. I need protein, I like protein, I like meat. Sorry for animals and all that, but you know.. food chain and all. Feeling bad about animals I eat isn't on my list of life priorities, despite what a classmate in 8th grade thought when showing me her PETA pamphlet.

Unless there are religious and actual moral reasons for your choice, and not just "hm I'm thinking about it because idk, maybe animal rights or something?" then just eat the meat. Your post sure doesn't sound like your convictions are all that strong.

Not that it matters in the slightest to you, but I logged my nutrients on Thursday, and I had 109 grams of protein (1542 calories, not a run day) on an ENTIRELY plant based (including my chardonnay)

It looks like you got 59g from plants and 50g from meat.

Yup. Wrong day posted. Fixed.

Coolio!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    r77auaro6ybj.jpg
    WEDNESDAY!

I really should start eating edamame again. It would help me get my protein numbers up. Thanks for reminding me about it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    mbforfree wrote: »
    I don't know how to post my print screen, but I got 91 from protein so far... Without focussing on it. By the way, your body uses up to 95% of damaged Amino-accids again, so the use of protein is highly overrated most of the time :)

How about a screen grab? I'd love to see your entries.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    r77auaro6ybj.jpg
    WEDNESDAY!

I really should start eating edamame again. It would help me get my protein numbers up. Thanks for reminding me about it.

We eat the green pods as a snack. And I use the black soybeans a LOT for lunch. Super nutritious.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to post my print screen, but I got 91 from protein so far... Without focussing on it. By the way, your body uses up to 95% of damaged Amino-accids again, so the use of protein is highly overrated most of the time :)

Shift, Print Screen, Paste into Paint. Save. Upload to your MFP photos. Post the link here.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Shift, Print Screen, Paste into Paint. Save. Upload to your MFP photos. Post the link here.
    If you're on a mac: applications>utilities>"grab">capture selection. Save as jpeg. Drag into this window.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You can drag and drop images

If you're on a mac: applications>utilities>"grab">capture selection. Save as jpeg. Drag into this window.

you can drag and drop images directly into the comment / response window?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    You can drag and drop images

you can drag and drop images directly into the comment / response window?

On my mac? yes. If they are jpeg.
  • Jasonmylis
    Jasonmylis Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I tried a more plant based diet and it turned out I have a soy and garbanzo bean intolerance, so getting enough protein was just too tough. I could probably do pescatarian though, as I love seafood and it is high in protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Jasonmylis wrote: »
    I tried a more plant based diet and it turned out I have a soy and garbanzo bean intolerance, so getting enough protein was just too tough. I could probably do pescatarian though, as I love seafood and it is high in protein.

Ouch. That's no fun.
    I love fish as well.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I would say on balance it's neutral for weight loss. You still have to watch what you eat (count calories). You could easily get fat being vegan because a lot of the recipes out there aren't diet food, for sure.

If it's important to you to get a lot of protein while losing weight, it's definitely harder as a vegan. For me, getting 120g/day (1g per lb of lean mass) pretty much takes 2 protein shakes per day. So - in terms of getting enough protein, it's harder because you have less variety/choices to get that protein in a restricted calorie state (at least in my experience). Even more so if you go out to eat with any regularity. Beans are great, sure, but they are also high calorie for the amount of protein you get, for example. On 1200-1600 calories per day, nearly every meal needs to have a darn good protein source for me, and even then, I still need the shakes. Eating 6 oz of chicken for a meal is much more socially acceptable and easier in a lot of ways than drinking your shake while your friends go to McDonalds.

HOWEVER... being vegan has made it sooo easy to turn down things that used to make me fat. Ice cream, cheesecake, candy bars, you name it. Can't eat it, cows suffered to make the milk that's in that, I'm supporting factory farming when I buy that PLUS it's not in my calorie goal... it really does help you turn down things that you shouldn't be eating in the first place.

You have to care an awful lot about the animal rights piece to make it happen though because it does take some thought, research, and fortitude to do it in a healthy way and lose weight. I take a vegan multivitamin and make sure my vegan protein powder mixes are complete proteins.

I will second the vegucated documentary suggestion, it's on Netflix and very good.
  • mbforfree
    mbforfree Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    5iju2pn47fuo.jpg
    food.jpg 209.4K
  • mbforfree
    mbforfree Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    haha, my try to upload my dairy... Than I realized its in dutch, so most of you wont be able to read it at all :)
  • cosmo_momo
    cosmo_momo Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've been plant based "vegan" for a month now (I use "" because once a week I have a non-vegan meal) My biggest issue is that I eat a lot of smoothies using bananas as the base and I've started having a banana intolerance... :(