Saving calories for night snacks??

Options
Do you save any calories to have night snacks? What are you eating later at night??

I've been eating these sweet seed bars, which probably isn't the best choice!

Replies

• maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not so much for night snacks but I find myself banking calories through the week for times when I know I'll be going out on a weekend to a restaurant or to a bar/club for a few beers.
  • belimawr
    belimawr Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Oh man I love those bars, and I made the mistake of looking at the nutritional info once.

If I have leftover, I usually have some peanut butter or mixed nuts.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I budget an actual small meal into my day, usually around 8:00. Most days I take a 100 calorie English muffin, 1/4 cup Egg beaters and a slice of cheese (similar to an Egg Mcmuffin) and have it with a glass of milk.
  • JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Nutrient timing is nowhere near as important as overall calorie intake, and then macronutrient breakdown.

If it fits into your calories/macros, eat the little treats that you want to have.
  • owensryan57
    Options
    Get some casein protein. The Optimum Nutrition one is only 120 calories and it's a slow digesting protein that will keep you full longer and will keep your insulin from spiking so you'll be less likely to store calories as fat.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I suppose...I never though of it as "saving" them...that's just how I planned my days to hit my calorie goals.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hella yes! Already mentally logged my run tonight and I'll have enough workout calories for some Ben and Jerry's later! I just don't have snacks so late that I still feel full when I go to bed.
  • DeliVibes
    DeliVibes Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I try have something healthy that will fit in with my macros.
    For example: if I'm short on protein that day I might make myself scrambled eggs
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    DeliVibes wrote: »
    I try have something healthy that will fit in with my macros.
    For example: if I'm short on protein that day I might make myself scrambled eggs
    That's the problem I've had the last few nights. I'm trying to keep my carbs @ 45% (diabetic, trying to get off medication),P30%,F25% but my go to late night snack is the 100 cal popcorn bag, which at least has fiber, but I'm usually a little low on Fat & Protein at the end of the day. I ended up having a small serving of pistachios (more fat/protein than carbs). I would feel silly scrambling an egg @ 9pm though, if it wasn't for my breakfast the next day! :)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I suppose...I never though of it as "saving" them...that's just how I planned my days to hit my calorie goals.

Agreed. I eat about half of my calories between about 10 PM and midnight.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    katie2400 wrote: »
    Do you save any calories to have night snacks? What are you eating later at night??

Yep! I eat all sorts really, whatever fits. Often a bowl of cereal :smile:
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    I always budget my calories for a bowl of goodness at night.

Usually chocolate and nut butters.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I save for something every night. Ice cream/gelato, graham crackers with cream cheese, or a few pieces of chocolate.
  • katie2400
    katie2400 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No I don't. Dinner is usually the last thing I eat, but I also usually eat around 7pm.
  • hardeepmakkar
    Options
    As Long as u'r hitting your macros , its fine. but try keeping it healthy . opt for healthy fats or a more protein based snack.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I eat a second dinner or a snack every night. Second dinner can be eggs and toast. Snacks include: popcorn, chocolate, pops chips, frozen yogurt/ice cream/gelato, toast with laughing cow cheese or pb2/peanut butter. Usually within the 200-400 calorie range.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I always leave some room in the calorie budget for a late snack. My fave is non-fat yogurt as a base, because of the protein. If I feel in a savory mood, I'll add to some hot cereal with salt pepper and spices. If I want sweet, in go the sliced peaches and cold cereal. Either way, it's about 250 calories.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I always have an after dinner snack. I just make it fit my calories and macros. If it fits, there's no reason not to enjoy treats :)

• noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I save up most of my calories for the night time! I have a black coffee for breakfast, a small lunch, snack around 4pm before dinner at 7. I usually have chocolate/something sweet around 10pm right before bed otherwise I don't feel satisfied without my sweet treat late at night. Going to bed hungry would be my worst nightmare!