Eating at home! Difficult!

Options

Replies

• Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    i love seeing posts like this, saying that because you're mexican/asian/german/whatever that your culture predominantly eats unhealthy. that is simply untrue. the people in your home eat poorly and you eat the unhealthy version of foods from your culture.

The OP didn't say his or any other culture ate unhealthily.
    iandrew124 wrote: »
    So I still currently live at home with my parent and another sibling. We are a Mexican family so our meals tend to be whatever we can throw together and well its extremely difficult logging in those foods.

Throwing meals together and difficult logging =/= unhealthy. Lot's of people cook by throwing meals together rather than from a recipe and it does make logging difficult.

+1
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »
    i love seeing posts like this, saying that because you're mexican/asian/german/whatever that your culture predominantly eats unhealthy. that is simply untrue. the people in your home eat poorly and you eat the unhealthy version of foods from your culture.

learn to cook your mom's foods... when she asks why, you say you want to learn. i think i was 19ish when i really learned how to cook.

Don't be rude. He didn't say her cooking (or his culture) was inherently unhealthy, just that he didn't always know what was in it or in what proportions. Yeah, he said maybe not the "best", but that's pretty open to interpretation.

exactly. you interpreted it one way, i interpreted it a different way.
  • iandrew124
    iandrew124 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A few ideas,

1. Can you cook with her, that way you know what she is putting in and also helping her out (best son award!)
    2. Get her into MFP too, maybe she will jump on the band wagon. Explain to her your goals and why you are doing this.

Its tough trying to diet when other people are largely involved in your life. Best of luck finding a happy ground :)

Honestly, I can't because by the time she cooks I'm either at school or too involved with assignments to get unfocused. So she usually cooks when I'm not home.
    Yes, I've tried but she is stubborn and isn't too tech savvy so she doesn't get involved into it and rather not do it.
    But yes, it is difficult. Extremely difficult. I just buy my own ingredients and hope I cook before anyone else does.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    momof3and3 wrote: »
    You can also measure your food, so you know you are getting the proper portions.

There is no way I can do that when my mother cooks because I have no idea what the proper portions are because its just Mexican food we cook.
  • iwantmydenimback
    iwantmydenimback Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    momof3and3 wrote: »
    You can also measure your food, so you know you are getting the proper portions.

There is no way I can do that when my mother cooks because I have no idea what the proper portions are because its just Mexican food we cook.
    It doesn't matter what the "proper" portion is. Just log what you're actually eating and make choices during the rest of the day that will allow home cooked meals to fit.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    This is a hard one. For example I just started a Slow Cooker Chili this morning and created the recipe under Recipes under the Food Tab. I created the recipe using the exact brands of beans, tomatoes, meat, vegetables, spices, salt, pepper, etc. I also created the exact corn bread I am making.

In short, it is really hard to know what your mom is putting in each food preparation. Thank goodness my whole family is on board with my logging into MFP and all the extra time to do what is necessary to prepare the food and be exact for my calorie counting.

All I can advise is that you try to recreate her recipe but you never know if she added extra ingredients or things that will alter your macros/calories..

This is a tough one for me to answer since I am in the cook in my family..

It is really is a tough one because I try cooking for myself but she cooks from time to time.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Well, you could always try to sit in the kitchen when she cooks dinner and have her tell you each ingredient as she puts in into the pan. Explain that you are writing down how she cooks so you have a backlog of recipes for when you eventually are on your own.

I've tried this many times but she just grabs I ingredients and puts them in without even weighing or anything.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    penneysfit wrote: »
    OMG I bet your mom makes yummy meals! :D

I agree that you should copy some of her meals and weigh whatever ingredients she puts in them, and then adjust the ingredients so they fit your caloric goals. No-one is offended, and you're still able to maintain control of your food.

I've tried but she just says she puts whatever she feels like and I've seen her make the same dish but never exactly the same.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    The best I can recommend is let her know that you want to cook too and swap meal ideas...win, win? Let her know you love her and then mention that you REALLY want to cook for her to give her a break?

I cook for myself abd my brother because she's busy so I already do cook but there are random times she cooks and I have no idea or even if I do know I'm busy so I can't even copy her recipes and stuff.
  • shinykyogre
    shinykyogre Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest doing more cooking yourself. I definitely throw things together like that all the time, but after many years of cooking I have a good understanding of how much is a teaspoon, tablespoon, cup etc. of a particular ingredient. I've also developed a pretty accurate palette and can approximate things at restaurants that don't have their nutrition facts listed because I'm adventurous in my cooking. This isn't going to give you a short term solution but it's something that will help you tremendously in your journey. The best way to learn is to start cooking more!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Buy a huge bag of salad leaves

Fill your bowl with salad leaves then put a small portion of whatever they've cooked on top ..try to find a restaurant version of the food and guesstimate the calories

Learn to cook lower calorie versions of whatever mama is making alongside her then you can calorie count

Offer to cook for everyone...I'm sure your mother will thank you

Check skinnytaste.com for recipes
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of capturing her recipes. I took a bunch of our family comfort foods a couple of years ago and adjusted them into a healthier version that was still tasty and made cookbooks for my siblings at Christmas.

Maybe if you feel something is perhaps not the healthiest option or you're worried the calorie content is too high for your personal needs you could say mom I really liked _____ do you think it would work if we used chicken instead of beef or brown rice instead of white and so on. I really think the key here is to involve the family that cooks, it's possible you guys could create magic.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    i want to eat at your mom's. what is she making today?

Dude, it sounds like you might need to turn down your mom's cooking if you want to make strides reaching your goal. you said it yourself, "if I'm going to be serious about having a healthier diet then I need to know what I'm putting in my body." You are going to have to put in extra effort into making your own meals for the week on weekends to fit into your busy schedule. if losing weight and getting fit were easy, we ALL would be. and, if you do want to have your mom's cooking on occassion, try to estimate the calories and you just might find that might be your only meal for the day to fit within your daily intake. good luck to you.

BTW: as a mom of 3 now older kids, i love that you mentioned that you love your mom and that she is amazing.
  • iandrew124
    Options

learn to cook your mom's foods... when she asks why, you say you want to learn. i think i was 19ish when i really learned how to cook.

I'm stating that we cook like the stereotype of mexicans like rice and stuff and flour tortillas so yes it is unhealthy because we eat a ton. xD Hence me trying to lose weight. Im not blaming my ethnicity but I do say its a cause.
    She knows why I want to cook.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options

I'm stating that we cook like the stereotype of mexicans like rice and stuff and flour tortillas so yes it is unhealthy because we eat a ton. xD Hence me trying to lose weight. Im not blaming my ethnicity but I do say its a cause.

It's not what you're eating, it's how much you're eating. You can still eat rice and flour tortillas. Just limit your portions.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

It's not what you're eating, it's how much you're eating. You can still eat rice and flour tortillas. Just limit your portions.

there is not such thing as limiting the portion of rice, beans and flour tortillas you eat. it doesn't exist.

• Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Honey, don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you're still in the excuse phase of this journey. If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to make it work (and your mother will still love you no matter what). Turn your want power into will power. Don't say you want to eat better; say you will eat better. Take any of the suggestions above and modify them until they do work for you.

And don't take this as criticism because we've all been at the point of making excuses why it won't or can't work. You'll find your way, just keep plugging at it.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »

Don't be rude. He didn't say her cooking (or his culture) was inherently unhealthy, just that he didn't always know what was in it or in what proportions. Yeah, he said maybe not the "best", but that's pretty open to interpretation.

exactly. you interpreted it one way, i interpreted it a different way.

Yeah, you interpreted in a way that was rude and judgmental. Looking from the posts, the OP has been clear as to what their issue is.

• AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It'd be great if you can cook for yourself. If not, eat your mom's food. Take a portion of her food. Weigh/measure it. Look in MFP for the nutritional value of a cup of rice/beans, 1 large corn tortilla, 4 oz of asada, whatever. It won't be precise, but at this point until you have total control over what you eat, approximation is still better than nothing. You do NOT need to be 100% accurate to get results.

If it turns out what you took was like 50% of your daily allotment of calories, take less next time. After a couple of weeks, or months, you'd have a pretty good grasp of how much you should take for your nutritional needs.

In the end, like several people have said. It's NOT what you eat, it's how much you eat that determines your weight gain or loss.

Good luck.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I know what you mean! My only suggestions are to cook with her (so you can measure how much she is using of whatever) and to over estimate :( Leave a few hundred calories unplanned every day so that you have wiggle room. If you're low at the end of the day, then you can have a treat.