Eating at home! Difficult!

Options

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Buy a bunch of bagged salads for yourself. Make sure salad fills over half of your plate, then take whatever your mom has cooked in a much smaller portion. Also good suggestions to start cooking yourself because you'll be on your own soon. Home cooking is often healthier than restaurant/take out and quality control is a zillion times better. Enjoy!
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Another idea, go shopping with her and pick out whole grain rice, low carb/high fiber tortilla shells, leaner meats, more veggies and tell her to work her magic on them. Then you will have an idea of what goes into it and she will get to continue to make meals you can appreciate.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    iandrew124 wrote: »
    i love seeing posts like this, saying that because you're mexican/asian/german/whatever that your culture predominantly eats unhealthy. that is simply untrue. the people in your home eat poorly and you eat the unhealthy version of foods from your culture.

learn to cook your mom's foods... when she asks why, you say you want to learn. i think i was 19ish when i really learned how to cook.

I'm stating that we cook like the stereotype of mexicans like rice and stuff and flour tortillas so yes it is unhealthy because we eat a ton. xD Hence me trying to lose weight. Im not blaming my ethnicity but I do say its a cause.
    She knows why I want to cook.

It's not what you're eating, it's how much you're eating. You can still eat rice and flour tortillas. Just limit your portions.

there is not such thing as limiting the portion of rice, beans and flour tortillas you eat. it doesn't exist.

I must be doing something wrong then. I have no problems limiting my beans, rice, or my flour tortillas.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    i love seeing posts like this, saying that because you're mexican/asian/german/whatever that your culture predominantly eats unhealthy. that is simply untrue. the people in your home eat poorly and you eat the unhealthy version of foods from your culture.

learn to cook your mom's foods... when she asks why, you say you want to learn. i think i was 19ish when i really learned how to cook.

I'm stating that we cook like the stereotype of mexicans like rice and stuff and flour tortillas so yes it is unhealthy because we eat a ton. xD Hence me trying to lose weight. Im not blaming my ethnicity but I do say its a cause.
    She knows why I want to cook.

It's not what you're eating, it's how much you're eating. You can still eat rice and flour tortillas. Just limit your portions.

there is not such thing as limiting the portion of rice, beans and flour tortillas you eat. it doesn't exist.

I must be doing something wrong then. I have no problems limiting my beans, rice, or my flour tortillas.

I think it was a joke, lol.

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of filling your plate with salad or steamed veggies and add a small portion of your mom's food on top. You can also cook for yourself during the weekend and fill out a bunch of tupperware for the week.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I can relate. My wife makes these Cowboy Enchiladas, she uses flour tortillas instead of corn. All of the ingredients are available in the database so it's pretty easy, once you get the hang of it. Anyway, I break it down as best I can and estimate it like this:

Flour tortillas have about 130 calories and there are also calories for homemade tortillas on MFP, if your mom makes them herself. Corn tortillas are about 50 cals.

80/20 Hamburger is 80 cals per oz and one to 1 1/2 lbs is pretty normal for making a hamburger based meal. If you guess the meal has 8 "portions" you can figure 160 to 240 calories form hamburger for each "portion."

Plain pinto or black beans are about 100 per half cup. Re-fried beans can get real "heavy" very quickly because of the added fat. You've got to figure at least 150 cals per portion if she adds oil to them.

Spanish rice is harder because you have to know how much oil goes into the rice but, if you estimate 150 per half cup you should be OK.

Cooking oil is 120 cals per tablespoon. If mom deep fries anything, add about 220 cals to whatever it is.

Shredded cheese runs 100 cals per 1/4 cup.

I figure that my example enchilada dinner is at least 900 calories:
    2 flour tortillas - 260
    Hamburger - 200
    Enchilada sauce - 40 cals
    Re-fried beans - 150
    rice - 150
    Cheese - 100

To be sure, I'd round it up to an even 1000 calories.

This is a good educated guess and through my own experience, I trust it's accuracy. Let me know how it works for you.
  • godiva73
    godiva73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Maybe your mom would be interested in helping you log in what you eat. This might help her better understand what you are going through. I make the meals here, and I am a mom, and I also understand the whole thing about feeling like you are being rude by not eating mom's food or cooking your own food. That's why I think your mom will be supportive if she understands everything that you are doing. And you may be surprised to find, she may actually help you.... Just my thoughts as a mom, daughter and person trying to be more health conscious. See what happens. Good luck.
  • godiva73
    godiva73 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My next suggestion is to plan ahead and make your own food up for the week, store it in one section of the fridge with your name on it and be done with it. Then you always know what you are eating.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Talkradio wrote: »

Don't be rude. He didn't say her cooking (or his culture) was inherently unhealthy, just that he didn't always know what was in it or in what proportions. Yeah, he said maybe not the "best", but that's pretty open to interpretation.

exactly. you interpreted it one way, i interpreted it a different way.

Yeah, you interpreted in a way that was rude and judgmental. Looking from the posts, the OP has been clear as to what their issue is.

what?? what is your problem??
  • epayne75
    epayne75 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    It sounds as though you are getting good suggestions and poo-pooing all of them. If you really want to lose weight, you will find a way to deal with this issue.
  • missiontofitness
    Options

Don't be rude. He didn't say her cooking (or his culture) was inherently unhealthy, just that he didn't always know what was in it or in what proportions. Yeah, he said maybe not the "best", but that's pretty open to interpretation.

Yeah, you interpreted in a way that was rude and judgmental. Looking from the posts, the OP has been clear as to what their issue is.

My issue is that your response was incredibly rude to the OP, who specified their ethnicity so that we would know the food that is being served in the home. Not that they were implying that everything their family serves is unhealthy and calorie laden.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    markja wrote: »
    I can relate. My wife makes these Cowboy Enchiladas, she uses flour tortillas instead of corn. All of the ingredients are available in the database so it's pretty easy, once you get the hang of it. Anyway, I break it down as best I can and estimate it like this:

Flour tortillas have about 130 calories and there are also calories for homemade tortillas on MFP, if your mom makes them herself. Corn tortillas are about 50 cals.

80/20 Hamburger is 80 cals per oz and one to 1 1/2 lbs is pretty normal for making a hamburger based meal. If you guess the meal has 8 "portions" you can figure 160 to 240 calories form hamburger for each "portion."

Plain pinto or black beans are about 100 per half cup. Re-fried beans can get real "heavy" very quickly because of the added fat. You've got to figure at least 150 cals per portion if she adds oil to them.

Spanish rice is harder because you have to know how much oil goes into the rice but, if you estimate 150 per half cup you should be OK.

Cooking oil is 120 cals per tablespoon. If mom deep fries anything, add about 220 cals to whatever it is.

Shredded cheese runs 100 cals per 1/4 cup.

I figure that my example enchilada dinner is at least 900 calories:
    2 flour tortillas - 260
    Hamburger - 200
    Enchilada sauce - 40 cals
    Re-fried beans - 150
    rice - 150
    Cheese - 100

To be sure, I'd round it up to an even 1000 calories.

This is a good educated guess and through my own experience, I trust it's accuracy. Let me know how it works for you.

Great summary! OP, if you can, use a food scale. Cups may not be the best option for most of these items, as they are solids. If she is serving rice or beans, do the best you can with the advice given above, and weigh things so you can have slightly more accurate logs.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    My doctor says that if you can't measure, use the My Plate method: 1/4 of your plate is meat/protein, 1/4 is starch/carbs, and 1/2 is vegetables (not fried). Is that a thing you can do?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

My issue is that your response was incredibly rude to the OP, who specified their ethnicity so that we would know the food that is being served in the home. Not that they were implying that everything their family serves is unhealthy and calorie laden.

okay, whatever.
  • iandrew124
    iandrew124 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    My doctor says that if you can't measure, use the My Plate method: 1/4 of your plate is meat/protein, 1/4 is starch/carbs, and 1/2 is vegetables (not fried). Is that a thing you can do?

That actually sounds helpful o: Thank you for telling me this! :3
  • iandrew124
    Options

OP, good for you, starting out on this journey! I hope one day, my son is as sweet as you are to your mama. I would say, sitting with her and learning while she cooks, or helping her cook, is a great start! I would also explain to her what you are trying to do, so her feelings don't get hurt. Try to use portion control on things that are easily identifiable, like carb sides: bread, rice, tortillas, etc. And if you really have no idea what's in something, maybe try to fill up half your plate with simple fruits and vegetables or a salad. That way you can still enjoy the delicious food, but don't throw yourself off for the day. Good luck! <3

Thank you! And yes I have tried a couple of times but she forgets and I can't blame her for just cooking what she knows how and not knowing a recipe because she's tired and just wants too cook, eat and go to bed since she gets home at 10:30 or 11 so I can't blame her for forgetting or not having the energy. Hence, my post in this forum for ideas. xD Psh, I guess I'm sweet, I've just been raised with manners. o: Oh! Yeah, I should try that. c: Thank you! Now if only fruits and veggies weren't so dang expensive.
    Thank you!
  • iandrew124
    Options

The OP didn't say his or any other culture ate unhealthily.
    So I still currently live at home with my parent and another sibling. We are a Mexican family so our meals tend to be whatever we can throw together and well its extremely difficult logging in those foods.

Throwing meals together and difficult logging =/= unhealthy. Lot's of people cook by throwing meals together rather than from a recipe and it does make logging difficult.

You're right, it doesn't mean it isn't healthy but what would be the proper portion size so I don't eat over my caloric intake? But yyes, very difficult to log.
  • iandrew124
    Options
    spoothed wrote: »
    I would suggest doing more cooking yourself. I definitely throw things together like that all the time, but after many years of cooking I have a good understanding of how much is a teaspoon, tablespoon, cup etc. of a particular ingredient. I've also developed a pretty accurate palette and can approximate things at restaurants that don't have their nutrition facts listed because I'm adventurous in my cooking. This isn't going to give you a short term solution but it's something that will help you tremendously in your journey. The best way to learn is to start cooking more!

Yes, I do cook more now than before. Thank you! . c:
  • iandrew124
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Buy a huge bag of salad leaves

Fill your bowl with salad leaves then put a small portion of whatever they've cooked on top ..try to find a restaurant version of the food and guesstimate the calories

Learn to cook lower calorie versions of whatever mama is making alongside her then you can calorie count

Offer to cook for everyone...I'm sure your mother will thank you

Check skinnytaste.com for recipes

Salad leaves and then random Mexican food on top. . sounds interesting as for a diet. xD
    Yes I've tried to learn her cooking and am still trying.
    I actually cook for my brother and I most of the time but it random when my mother cooks because she has a busy schedule.
    Ooh. Thank you for telling the website. o:
  • iandrew124
    Options
    I like the idea of capturing her recipes. I took a bunch of our family comfort foods a couple of years ago and adjusted them into a healthier version that was still tasty and made cookbooks for my siblings at Christmas.

Maybe if you feel something is perhaps not the healthiest option or you're worried the calorie content is too high for your personal needs you could say mom I really liked _____ do you think it would work if we used chicken instead of beef or brown rice instead of white and so on. I really think the key here is to involve the family that cooks, it's possible you guys could create magic.

Oh dang. That's awesome. o: You should publish it so people can buy it. :3
    But yes, ive been trying and will still try to get cooking as a family going. Schedules are hectic so hopefully we can make time when she isn't too tired so we can cook.