Eating at home! Difficult!

Options
So I still currently live at home with my parent and another sibling. We are a Mexican family so our meals tend to be whatever we can throw together and well its extremely difficult logging in those foods. I've tried cooking for myself so I know exactly what I am eating, however, if my mother has already cooked dinner then it would be rude to not eat what she made and well in all honesty the best cooking in the world is done by your loved ones because it just tastes amazing even if it isn't the "best". Anyways! How can I makee logging my meals easier for myself because the food in the house is meant for everyone and not just myself obviously but how do I keep better logs because I'm always asking my mother how something is made and she asks " why?" And the answer I give is to count my calories so I don't always go over board and she tries to explain how much she put but its always half guessed answers. I love my mom because she is amazingbut if I'm going to be serious about having a healthier diet then I need to know what I'm putting in my body.

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A few ideas,

1. Can you cook with her, that way you know what she is putting in and also helping her out (best son award!)
    2. Get her into MFP too, maybe she will jump on the band wagon. Explain to her your goals and why you are doing this.

Its tough trying to diet when other people are largely involved in your life. Best of luck finding a happy ground :)
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    You can also measure your food, so you know you are getting the proper portions.
  • Steff46
    Steff46 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I try to cook things separately for my OH (and put in separate containers) as he likes to weigh it all separately and then combine it in his own plate. Example: Spaghetti - Fry up protein separate, onions and peppers separate, and noodles (or squash) separate, and then let him add sauce from the jar. It sounds complicated but if everyone is happy and the food is consumed then it is a win win :)
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    This is a hard one. For example I just started a Slow Cooker Chili this morning and created the recipe under Recipes under the Food Tab. I created the recipe using the exact brands of beans, tomatoes, meat, vegetables, spices, salt, pepper, etc. I also created the exact corn bread I am making.

In short, it is really hard to know what your mom is putting in each food preparation. Thank goodness my whole family is on board with my logging into MFP and all the extra time to do what is necessary to prepare the food and be exact for my calorie counting.

All I can advise is that you try to recreate her recipe but you never know if she added extra ingredients or things that will alter your macros/calories..

This is a tough one for me to answer since I am in the cook in my family..
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Well, you could always try to sit in the kitchen when she cooks dinner and have her tell you each ingredient as she puts in into the pan. Explain that you are writing down how she cooks so you have a backlog of recipes for when you eventually are on your own.
  • acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Try cooking with you, not only will you know what goes into your food but also how to make it later..win win!
    Offer to cook for your family sometimes
    Keep everything else in check, snacks, eating at school/work etc
    Often restaurants here have no nutritional information so when I go out to eat I log every ingredient to the best of my ability and add wiggle room for error.
  • penneysfit
    penneysfit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OMG I bet your mom makes yummy meals! :D

I agree that you should copy some of her meals and weigh whatever ingredients she puts in them, and then adjust the ingredients so they fit your caloric goals. No-one is offended, and you're still able to maintain control of your food.
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    The best I can recommend is let her know that you want to cook too and swap meal ideas...win, win? Let her know you love her and then mention that you REALLY want to cook for her to give her a break?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i love seeing posts like this, saying that because you're mexican/asian/german/whatever that your culture predominantly eats unhealthy. that is simply untrue. the people in your home eat poorly and you eat the unhealthy version of foods from your culture.

learn to cook your mom's foods... when she asks why, you say you want to learn. i think i was 19ish when i really learned how to cook.
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have difficulty eating with my family too because everything is so good and generally not very healthy. For my life it's unrealistic to think that I would be able to sit in the kitchen and watch everything is being cooked and track the measurements, serving size, etc., but if you can do that then do it. Most cooks don't measure out exactly what they put in a recipe, especially ones that they make on a regular basis.
    I suggest that you incorporate a salad with every meal. That could be your job every night. Instead of filling up on the high calorie food that your mom makes, eat a salad first then eat a small portion of your mom's food. As far as logging is concerned, the MFP database is huge. I think that you will be able to find a recipe without having to know the exact measurements going into it.
    Of course, this may not be ideal once you are really into your fitness routine and you start getting into macro counting but as long as you exercise and count your other calories, like snacks, I think that you'll be good.
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The recipe builder is the best for such things - I'm just now going through something similar because I switched to weighing my food as opposed to measuring my food. Now I have to recreate all my foods and recipes
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Well you could always eyeball the portions that you normally have and just have less of it on your plate. Or cut down on the second helpings, third helpings, etc. I know it's not super accurate but it might be ideal for your situation.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    iandrew124 wrote: »
    So I still currently live at home with my parent and another sibling. We are a Mexican family so our meals tend to be whatever we can throw together and well its extremely difficult logging in those foods. I've tried cooking for myself so I know exactly what I am eating, however, if my mother has already cooked dinner then it would be rude to not eat what she made and well in all honesty the best cooking in the world is done by your loved ones because it just tastes amazing even if it isn't the "best". Anyways! How can I makee logging my meals easier for myself because the food in the house is meant for everyone and not just myself obviously but how do I keep better logs because I'm always asking my mother how something is made and she asks " why?" And the answer I give is to count my calories so I don't always go over board and she tries to explain how much she put but its always half guessed answers. I love my mom because she is amazingbut if I'm going to be serious about having a healthier diet then I need to know what I'm putting in my body.

Time to learn how to cook, you'll need to know for when you have your own place. :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I'd just ask her to write down the recipes for you - not only so you can track them, but so you have them when you move out and get a place of your own. It won't always be exact, but it's a start.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    i love seeing posts like this, saying that because you're mexican/asian/german/whatever that your culture predominantly eats unhealthy. that is simply untrue. the people in your home eat poorly and you eat the unhealthy version of foods from your culture.

The OP didn't say his or any other culture ate unhealthily.

• JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think the easiest route to take would just be to sit her down and explain what you are doing to her. Let her know that you love her cooking and you will miss it, but for now you are going to be making your own meals.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

So I still currently live at home with my parent and another sibling. We are a Mexican family so our meals tend to be whatever we can throw together and well its extremely difficult logging in those foods.

• Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options

learn to cook your mom's foods... when she asks why, you say you want to learn. i think i was 19ish when i really learned how to cook.

Don't be rude. He didn't say her cooking (or his culture) was inherently unhealthy, just that he didn't always know what was in it or in what proportions. Yeah, he said maybe not the "best", but that's pretty open to interpretation.

OP, good for you, starting out on this journey! I hope one day, my son is as sweet as you are to your mama. I would say, sitting with her and learning while she cooks, or helping her cook, is a great start! I would also explain to her what you are trying to do, so her feelings don't get hurt. Try to use portion control on things that are easily identifiable, like carb sides: bread, rice, tortillas, etc. And if you really have no idea what's in something, maybe try to fill up half your plate with simple fruits and vegetables or a salad. That way you can still enjoy the delicious food, but don't throw yourself off for the day. Good luck! <3
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

So I still currently live at home with my parent and another sibling. We are a Mexican family so our meals tend to be whatever we can throw together and well its extremely difficult logging in those foods.

Throwing meals together and difficult logging =/= unhealthy. Lot's of people cook by throwing meals together rather than from a recipe and it does make logging difficult.
  • Nottafattie
    Nottafattie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    As a mom with six kids, I can tell you that mothers soon get past being offended if the meals they fix don't get ate. They are also pretty understanding if their kids are trying to make healthier choices. My mom comes to stay with us for a few weeks to visit the grandkids. She cooks when she visits because she loves it. I've been pretty honest about why I can't always eat what she cooks (the lady loves her fried foods). She either modifies what she fixes so I can eat with them too (bakes some fish to go with the fried fish), or she helps me make something different entirely. Eat one supper during the week of what your mom fixes and estimate the calories if you're that concerned about her feelings. Just be honest and straightforward with your wants and needs. Moms are pretty good about doing their best to fulfill them.