Good alternative to milk

Options
I'm wanting to find a good alternative to milk, something that would taste good in coffee and cereals. Have any good suggestions?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    almond milk?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Why are you giving up milk?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk in cereals, soy milk in my protein shakes, and I haven't found a good replacement for cream in my coffee, so I drink it black. I think SO delicious makes a coffee creamer, as does silk. You could try those.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Any particular reason you're looking for an alternative?

There are plenty out there, but check the macros and calories. I like almond milk but it has much less protein than cow milk.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Why are you giving up milk?

• kaylacarol1989
    kaylacarol1989 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetend coconut milk... its very good
  • Rachel_Louise85
    Rachel_Louise85 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Silk Cashew Milk!! It's so creamy and smooth and it's only 25 calories per 8 oz serving.
  • bubblesknight2012
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »
    I like almond milk in cereals, soy milk in my protein shakes, and I haven't found a good replacement for cream in my coffee, so I drink it black. I think SO delicious makes a coffee creamer, as does silk. You could try those.

Have you tried coconut oil blended into the coffee, a milk frother works well. It is great for giving you a boost of energy :) It's great pre-gym.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Soy milk in my green smoothies. Try to buy organic non-GMO (for soy products).
  • Laurend224
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Have you tried coconut oil blended into the coffee, a milk frother works well. It is great for giving you a boost of energy :) It's great pre-gym.

Gag.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is my most favoritest. I can't drink cows milk :puke:
  • beatricelombule
    beatricelombule Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    powder milk. Just little powder milk + water. Less calories and it lasts longer.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I like the sweetened varieties of almond milk for coffee. They usually say "original" on the carton. Coconut beverage (in the carton, not the can) is nice too, but super high in saturated fat.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    powder milk. Just little powder milk + water. Less calories and it lasts longer.

If OP is avoiding milk, how would consuming in powdered form help? It's still milk.
  • Laurend224
    Options
    I like the sweetened varieties of almond milk for coffee. They usually say "original" on the carton. Coconut beverage (in the carton, not the can) is nice too, but super high in saturated fat.

I make 'ice cream' with the canned stuff. Yummy fatty goodness!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Flashbacks to the last days before dad's pay day when I was a kid. :o But seriously, If memory serves, there's something rather unhealthy about the cholesterol in powdered milk. This wouldn't be my first choice (and the taste). Glad you like it though.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The liquid coffee mate is great. It's lactose free and tasty.
  • MissPhalange
    MissPhalange Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, coconut milk, or cashew milk. My favorite right now is the almond/coconut milk blend by Califia. I've purchased it at both Whole Foods & Kroger.
  • randomworldgirl
    randomworldgirl Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Silk - Organic Unsweetened Soy Milk
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    The liquid coffee mate is great. It's lactose free and tasty.
    Hydrogenated oils in your coffee? No thanks.

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SODIUM ALUMINOSILICATE, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, CARRAGEENAN.
    ** Not a source of lactose.