Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

De-toxifying

Hi! I am really trying to focus on overall health (hoping weight loss will come along with it).... I completely quit drinking almost 2 months ago and I have been sitting in an IR Sauna for an hour a day, drinking detox tea, green smoothies and taking supplements, including activated charcoal.

Can anyone recommend a detoxification program? I looked for a Kindle book and found way too many to sift through.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Welcome to MFP

Eat at a calorie defecit

Trust your liver and kidneys to do their job

Grab your hard hat, this might get a bit rough
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Your body detoxes for you all by itself.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    lmjannin wrote: »
    Hi! I am really trying to focus on overall health (hoping weight loss will come along with it).... I completely quit drinking almost 2 months ago and I have been sitting in an IR Sauna for an hour a day, drinking detox tea, green smoothies and taking supplements, including activated charcoal.

Can anyone recommend a detoxification program? I looked for a Kindle book and found way too many to sift through.

Thanks!

Don't hope for weight loss. Eat at a deficit, and get after it!
    It's magical.
    Oh, and detoxes are bunk, unless you mean you are detoxing from alcohol or, yanno, heroin.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Detoxes are not necessary and do absolutely nothing for "removing toxins". Would you be able to tell us what specific toxins you are trying to remove? If you have a working liver and kidneys, you don't need a detox. If you do need a detox, you need an MD, not a book, green smoothies, or detoxing tea.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    OP, what is it you are detoxifying, and what are the toxins?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    LOL......It's going be great month. ;)

OP: Unless you don't have a liver or kidneys, detoxing is not necessary.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    It's great that you are getting started on a healthier lifestyle! Welcome to MFP! I hope the link to the thread about detoxes is very helpful for you! I actually decided to do a "green smoothie detox" last summer and lost 10 pounds (water weight) in one month. Of course, it was completely unnecessary and I should have spent that time building sustainable healthy habits (like eating more fruits and veggies, drinking water, and Eating At A Deficit). I gained it all back and then some.
  • I sometimes wish MFP had a liver or a set of kidneys to detox these threads from existing.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    cityruss wrote: »
    OP, what is it you are detoxifying, and what are the toxins?

I'd say people could offer suggestions were these questions ever able to be answered.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    edited February 2015
    ceoverturf wrote: »

That OP in that link probably should specify that VLCD means very low calorie diet.

I'd bet a lot of people looking for cleanses aren't aware of the acronym, and for whatever reason people seem to be adverse to just looking things up sometimes.

ETA: apparently I am interweb challenged and don't know how to double-quote, sorry for double post.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    While I agree detoxes are trash and your body detoxes itself as needed....the Super Colon cleanse works very well for cleaning out your colon.....I just did it for a week and WOW....I also eat pretty clean and work out regularly, as well as drinking a gallon of water a day which helps greatly. I did the cleanse just to see what would happen and it def cleaned my colon out!
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    mzjenn2u wrote: »
    While I agree detoxes are trash and your body detoxes itself as needed....the Super Colon cleanse works very well for cleaning out your colon.....I just did it for a week and WOW....I also eat pretty clean and work out regularly, as well as drinking a gallon of water a day which helps greatly. I did the cleanse just to see what would happen and it def cleaned my colon out!

Still clean is it?

headshake
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    lmjannin wrote: »

Thanks!

Make sure you drink enough fluids to stay hydrated, eat enough fiber (at least 21 g daily) and trust your liver, kidneys, and intestinal tract to do their jobs.

• katya_be
    katya_be Posts: 227 Member
    Read the links! They are helpful
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    mzjenn2u wrote: »

C'n I huh? A clean colon? Did you get a certificate or something? Was there a reason for needing a clean colon?
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited February 2015
    I see a lot of obnoxious responses, and that is not cool at all. It is possible to help or advise someone without being rude about it. Just a little FYI.

Detox cleanses don't do anything for your body that it doesn't already do for itself on a regular basis. As someone else pointed out, unless you're kicking an addiction of some sort, you should keep the word "detox" out of your mind and your approach to healthy living.

The "cleanses" and "detoxes" that are constantly thrown out there are just money-making schemes that sound good to the uninformed consumer, but are really ineffective and sometimes dangerous.

With that being said, you can assist your body's natural cleansing processes by eating well, drinking lots of water, and reducing or eliminating bad habits (e.g. junk food, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, etc.).
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    I sometimes wish MFP had a liver or a set of kidneys to detox these threads from existing.
    True, but you have to think about the fact that though you've seen this question a thousand times, the new person posting it hasn't and is genuinely looking for answers/ feedback.