Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    lmjannin wrote: »
    Hi! I am really trying to focus on overall health (hoping weight loss will come along with it).... I completely quit drinking almost 2 months ago and I have been sitting in an IR Sauna for an hour a day, drinking detox tea, green smoothies and taking supplements, including activated charcoal.

Can anyone recommend a detoxification program? I looked for a Kindle book and found way too many to sift through.

Thanks!

Why on earth are you taking activated charcol? You do realize that is something they give people who overdose right?

Honestly, those habits don't sound healthy.
    I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forums, but I had a True Believer™ at a local dive bar inform me matter-of-factly that he drinks Hydrogen Peroxide at 4% (the industrial stuff not OTC) because it "raises you body's PH (bogus claim) -- because more acid -- and this means you wont get "Teh Cancer" (never mind that cancers are a spectrum disorder). Besides he said, chemo was all harsh chemicals that doctors profit from. But but you drink Hydro Peroxide .... wtf.

I asked him where read this. He said he found the information on a website and because he doesn't have cancer yet, this definitely works and I should do it too. I replied hmmm... this must be why I don't get attacked by tigers, because I snap my fingers when going for walks.

This exchange made my lizard-skin ripple underneath my human skin-suit for the derp.

Yeah.... I wouldn't have been able to just sit back and listen to that. I would have had to say something about the sheer stupidity of that.

That's not as bad as the casual racism and sexism in these parts - that gets me angry and I shut them up forthwith.

I just asked the guy questions and made some observations about what he was doing to see what his responses were - its like being an anthropologist watching religious logorrhea in action.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    No reason to detox because your body is a detoxing machine already.

Yes. You could also stop putting toxic stuff into your body in the first place.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    This OP is not new to MFP nor is this her first thread about less than ideal methods over the past two years. Her posting history is a snapshot of poor weight loss ideas.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Nah, food and drink are not toxic, and if they are my body would naturally detox itself.

I reckon I'd be dead if I put toxic stuff in my body because I don't do detoxes. ;)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    Ignore the rudeness in the responses, but take the advice.
    I've lurked here for a long time, and the responses can be snarky, but the content seems to be right.

We're dealing with adults here. Adults that deserve the truth, however snarky it may be.

That is not an "adult" perspective.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    aplcr0331 wrote: »
    Ignore the rudeness in the responses, but take the advice.
    I've lurked here for a long time, and the responses can be snarky, but the content seems to be right.

We're dealing with adults here. Adults that deserve the truth, however snarky it may be.

That is not an "adult" perspective.

No it's not. Not mine anyway. It is quite easy to put a point across in a decent non condescending way.
    You catch more flies with honey than vinegar :wink:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

Nah, food and drink are not toxic, and if they are my body would naturally detox itself.

I reckon I'd be dead if I put toxic stuff in my body because I don't do detoxes. ;)

By toxic, I am talking about alcohol. If the OP is drinking so much that she needs to go to such extremes to "detox," maybe she would be better off staying away from alcohol in the first place.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

By toxic, I am talking about alcohol. If the OP is drinking so much that she needs to go to such extremes to "detox," maybe she would be better off staying away from alcohol in the first place.

That's quite a judgement you're making, given that she's said she stopped drinking two months ago because she wants to be healthy.

Alcohol is not toxic in moderation, and we have no idea what her alcohol consumption was.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Just a word to the wise - activated charcoal is a non-selective means to absorb... pretty much everything. Everything except lithium, arsenic, iron, ethanol, methanol, strong acids and strong bases.

It's pretty good at blocking the absorption of micronutrients though. Also blocks electrolytes and any necessary medications you might be taking. So, barring actual poisoning, attempted suicide by pills or poison, and other atypical catastrophes - you might just want to abstain from that stuff.

Drink water. Take a knee. Don't be a hero.

Activated charcoal was a godsend here -- for our dog who snarfed down half a chocolate cake. I doubt the protocol for treating our girl would apply to me, and if it did, I wouldn't want to clean the aftermath out of the rugs again. Gah.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am really trying to focus on overall health (hoping weight loss will come along with it).... I completely quit drinking almost 2 months ago and I have been sitting in an IR Sauna for an hour a day, drinking detox tea, green smoothies and taking supplements, including activated charcoal.

Can anyone recommend a detoxification program? I looked for a Kindle book and found way too many to sift through.

Thanks!

Why on earth are you taking activated charcol? You do realize that is something they give people who overdose right?

I've mentioned this elsewhere on the forums, but I had a True Believer™ at a local dive bar inform me matter-of-factly that he drinks Hydrogen Peroxide at 4% (the industrial stuff not OTC) because it "raises you body's PH (bogus claim) -- because more acid -- and this means you wont get "Teh Cancer" (never mind that cancers are a spectrum disorder). Besides he said, chemo was all harsh chemicals that doctors profit from. But but you drink Hydro Peroxide .... wtf.

I asked him where read this. He said he found the information on a website and because he doesn't have cancer yet, this definitely works and I should do it too. I replied hmmm... this must be why I don't get attacked by tigers, because I snap my fingers when going for walks.

This exchange made my lizard-skin ripple underneath my human skin-suit for the derp.

Wow, I need to start substituting OxyClean for sugar! I get rid of the sugar demon and get H2O2 in my system, oxygenate my blood, plus hydration. Wow!

(for those unfamiliar with the active ingredient, Sodium percarbonate breaks down into hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), water, and soda ash while giving off oxygen)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »

Thanks!

Wow, I need to start substituting OxyClean for sugar! I get rid of the sugar demon and get H2O2 in my system, oxygenate my blood, plus hydration. Wow!

(for those unfamiliar with the active ingredient, Sodium percarbonate breaks down into hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), water, and soda ash while giving off oxygen)

:D

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Food isn't toxic.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options

Food isn't toxic.

She's already said that she was talking about alcohol, not food, when she said that:

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle of activated charcoal tablets in my medicine chest, right next to the ipecac. Thankfully, they've never been used...I have them for Poison Control emergencies with the children.

One-time doses of charcoal are sometimes given to help determine rate of digestion. Beets are a more pleasant alternative.

according to herbalists (so take it with a giant grain of pink Himalayan salt) burdock root and shitake mushrooms are good for liver health. If you are determined to "detox" from your alcohol use, go ahead and make a nice burdock and mushroom soup. It probably won't do anything for you, but it will taste lovely, which is something I look for in food.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Food isn't toxic.

She's already said that she was talking about alcohol, not food, when she said that:

Actually, I don't see where the OP said that she was trying to detoxify her body from drinking alcohol. She said she'd quit drinking two months earlier in an attempt to become more healthy. It stands to reason that her body would have "detoxified" by then, if need be.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Thanks!

Just to clarify, after two months of no alcohol, are you saying you think you need to detox from that? Or, you simply quit in order to get healthy and now you want to go on a detox program in general?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I have a bottle of activated charcoal tablets in my medicine chest, right next to the ipecac. Thankfully, they've never been used...I have them for Poison Control emergencies with the children.

One-time doses of charcoal are sometimes given to help determine rate of digestion. Beets are a more pleasant alternative.

according to herbalists (so take it with a giant grain of pink Himalayan salt) burdock root and shitake mushrooms are good for liver health. If you are determined to "detox" from your alcohol use, go ahead and make a nice burdock and mushroom soup. It probably won't do anything for you, but it will taste lovely, which is something I look for in food.

For anyone with legitimate liver issues, or with pets that have liver issues:
    I'd skip those for milk thistle, SAM-E supplements, and slippery elm (slippery elm is for the nausea that often accompanies liver failure). They actually do work. They're regularly prescribed by both physicians and vets when liver function is compromised.

But the real question is, why take anything if there's nothing wrong with you? It's just a waste of money. And potentially dangerous, depending on what combination of supplements and herbs you decide to take. I'll never understand it.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    What are the supposed benefits of an IR sauna? :|
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Thanks!

spending time on supplements, charcoal, drinking detox, starting detox programs isn't particularly healthy. It actually sounds a bit disordered. IR Sauna for an hour a day is way too much - recommended max is about 20 mins if you use it every day - you are at 300% of that.

Eat food, eat varied produce in reasonable amounts. Move more. Profit.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Thanks!

spending time on supplements, charcoal, drinking detox, starting detox programs isn't particularly healthy. It actually sounds a bit disordered. IR Sauna for an hour a day is way too much - recommended max is about 20 mins if you use it every day - you are at 300% of that.

Eat food, eat varied produce in reasonable amounts. Move more. Profit.

A year ago, the OP was starting a certain three letter VLCD diet and injection plan along with Phentermine, now the cocktail of supplements and aggressive "detoxing" ideas .... the disordered pattern isn't new.