Exercise is BOOORRING!!! What to do?

Options
13»

Replies

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, find something you enjoy. Many years ago I was a runner, I would make an upbeat playlist to listen to (this was long before ipods), helped me get through long runs. Make yourself a few playlists to listen to. Now I do more hiit stuff, so I have a variety and I started lifting which I consider to be my soulmate workout. If I could lift something heavy every day I would.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Play music or youtubes out of phone while working out; wear earbuds for it.
  • Bitokos
    Bitokos Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Audible.com. Sometimes I get lost in a good book and I don't even realize I'm running. I listen to all types of books but the best ones are the ones with action. You start to pick up the pace without even knowing it when you are at a particularly exciting part.

Like if people are running from zombies or something you might pick up the pace and start glancing behind you more frequently. You know, just to be sure.
  • 9Rounder
    9Rounder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was apathetic about exercise too until I discovered kickboxing! I joined a 9Round gym a few months ago and look forward to that workout every single day. I started at 3 days a week and have worked up to 5 days a week. The workout is only 30 minutes, it's different every day, it incorporates strength, core, and cardio, and I am just flattened after each one because I give it my all for every 3 minute round. Try it out and see if it's for you. I'm so happy I found it!
  • FreakinFlabuless
    FreakinFlabuless Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Music is key for me. I play super loud funky dance music with a lot of bass. lol It works for me. I funk it up a little on the treadmill too. I do all of my workout DVDs until they're second nature with good music light in the background, then I crank it up when memorized and follow along with the video visually. I don't know if it is the great music that makes it feel like it goes faster, or the ability to identify how many songs have passed, unlike what I call that elevator music they use that can put me to sleep, but enjoying at least that much of it does make it seem go much faster. I like to dance (just not so much in public) so things like Zumba and dance videos are great for me too.
  • timeandmotion
    timeandmotion Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Usually I find that having a good workout 'mixtape' on my mp3 player makes things a lot more fun. I add new songs and shuffle through old songs once they've been played out so I don't get bored. Podcasts or audio books that really interest you are another option.

I also like weight lifting more than cardio. I'd rather feel the burn for 20-30 intense minutes 3x/week than be bored on the treadmill for an hour every day. I'd never be able to keep that up, either. I like to feel that my workout actually did something, and you ended up getting slightly addicted to the feeling of sore muscles. You also develop more efficient metabolism and burn more calories while at rest. :wink:

I don't do the gym on weekends -- I walk for 2-3 miles window shopping downtown with friends and family or going on a hike. If the weather is really crappy or I'm short on gas I do something productive like housework/yardwork. You definitely want to add a variety of fun physical activity that doesn't feel like work into your life.

Think of some sport, discipline, or skill you'd really like to learn and join a class for it. If there were any studios in my area, I'd learn Krav Maga for sure. I've always wanted to learn self-defense. Things where you can work towards goals other than "do I weigh less now?" are more likely to keep you motivated.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    If your exercise is boring, you're doing it wrong. Shorten the duration. If you're lifting weights, limit yourself to 60 minutes, and lift heavy. It's impossible to be bored lifting a weight that takes everything you've got to squeak out 6 reps. If you're doing cardio, limit yourself to 30 minutes and do high intensity intervals. Again, it's not possible to be bored when it feels like your lungs are about to explode.

When most people talk about exercise being boring I think what they really mean is that they're too lazy to properly challenge themselves.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with long distance endurance cardio like running a 10k or half marathon, but the people into that type of exercise are typically anything but bored. They enjoy it.

I love when people make bold (no pun intended) proclamations about the mental states of others. lol

Really? Then you should hear what I have to say about your lol. You'd love it.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Two words: Pole Fitness.

No one can be bored swinging around a pole.

You may also need to switch things up. I do spin, pole, yoga, run/jog, kettlebell, TRX, Insanity, and YouTube videos. Changing things up some might make things more fun.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    jim180155 wrote: »
    (snip)

When most people talk about exercise being boring I think what they really mean is that they're too lazy to properly challenge themselves.

(snip)

I love when people make bold (no pun intended) proclamations about the mental states of others. lol

I don't see a bold pronouncement. I see an opinion about a generalization.
  • Lefty1290
    Lefty1290 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Right now I run, or walk or do eliptical. Again, I go, and it gets done, but I don't look forward to it. So, those are tolerable, but not enjoyable.
    I've done a variety of classes, but I never enjoyed them.
    I DO enjoy swimming, but I can't incorporate that into a daily workout.
    And I DO enjoy bicycling, but only outdoors, and it's 8 degrees and icy out today so...bicycling for me is a spring/summer/fall event.
    I've even tried snowshoeing and cross country skiing! I enjoyed the cross country skiing, but, again, not a realistic daily activity.
    Right now I download podcasts and listen to them while I run or walk or eliptical, hoping that my desire to hear the end will get me through, and it DOES help some.
    I read people on here say they look forward to exercise, and I want to know what they are doing differently than me!

Well, no wonder you're bored! Running, walking, and elliptical are all similar movements.

I use a YouTube channel called FitnessBlender for 95% of my workouts. They have so many different types of workouts: low-impact, stretching, yoga, HIIT, cardio, strength, kickboxing, abs, and more. I'm about to do some kickboxing to start this week's exercise off on a high note.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do things you actually enjoy doing...you don't have to be droning away on some piece of cardio equipment to be getting a good workout.

I like road rides...

cycling-o.gif

dabbling in some cyclocross in the fall...

2013-cyclocross-world-championships-louisville-16-jump.jpg

getting into a little mountain biking...
    aitanabikers2gif.gif

back country hiking...

choosing-and-fitting-hiking.gif

and Olympic weight lifting....
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1CONaGPwlQRm78n_sqIgfhYRszKHmsQ1MwIZ0ip-9eAs2WtH3JQ
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    You are one of several people so far to suggest more weightlifting! Maybe that's my ticket.
    And yes, winter time is just.the.worst. I enjoy running/walking and cycling outdoors, but put all of that inside, and blerg...what's the fun of riding a bike that doesn't get you anywhere?!? :)
    So, yes, I will look into more strength training! :)

+1 on the weight training. Winter has always been my downfall, since I don't particularly like most indoor exercise (and, like you, skiing is, at best, something I can only get to once a week).

I grew up as part of the "nautilus generation" -- no one I knew lifted free weights; it was all machines. And lifting on a machine bored me to tears. I hadn't stepped in a gym in over three decades.

This year I decided to try some simple free weight training. Surprise! It's interesting. It takes skill. It takes balance. It takes concentration. In theory, it also takes strength (but I'm working on that part). Is it as fun as barrelling down a mountain on skis, or catching air on a mountain bike? Well, no -- but it's something I look forward to in the gym when I can't be outside.

Keep trying new things -- you never know when something will "click" with you.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Team sports? Netball, squash, hockey etc?
    Martial arts?
    Have you given the gym classes a good go, minimum of three sessions. One to get to know the form and two to enjoy.
    If you like cycling, spinning is good fun.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    And, OP is now deactivated. WTF? Makes me wonder why I bother with noobs.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Who cares what the heart rate is? It's still exercise, and if you enjoy it you're more likely to do it. Of all the worthless myths about exercise I've run into, the myth that "unless it hurts, it doesn't do any good" is one of the biggest. Bodies are made to move...they sing when they move...you just gotta find the song that you want to sing.

Yes, yes and yes. When I started exercising more just over a year ago, I was bored spitless. Just so I wouldn't give up, I started going to different classes, changing it up. I found a few things I loved and off I went.

Exercise before endorphins kick in, appears to be an unscalable mountain. Sisyphus condemned to lug the rock uphill for eternity.

sisyphus-drawing1.jpg

After a few successes, exercise is more like this:
    _tiptoe_through_the_tulips__by_starry_bat1-d80fajh.png
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    boring? Then don't do it.