ladies, how do you stay motivated through pms?

Options
kcmccormack
kcmccormack Posts: 71 Member
edited February 2015 in Motivation and Support
How do you motivate yourself to workout through your most annoying pms symptoms? (Read; hardcore fatigue, horrible cramps, irrational irritability towards everyone at gym...) Also, tips on getting past your raging food cravings?

We all know you feel like a million bucks after you work out, but sometimes getting over that "&$#@ it" hump feels impossible.

Replies

• JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Best thing you can do is get your butt to the gym regardless of how lethargic you are. Even if you just decide to do a lighter workout, you will feel better if you stay active. Make sure no hard to resist foods are in the house, reduce caffeine intake, drink a ton of water and get plenty of sleep.

Unfortunately there is no magic wand to make these things easier so you just gotta push through.
  • kcmccormack
    Options
    I always suck it up cause I know I feel better after a work out, just curious if any of you have tricks or tips that help for yourself?

I did notice reducing caffeine helps and obviously (ironically) the more you work out the better your symptoms get, but damn, fatigue sucks.
  • JM1481
    JM1481 Posts: 88 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Yeah, sorry....no tricks up this sleeve. I wish there was. The only thing to gets me through is upping the good old fashioned determination within.
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have terrible cramps during so I skip working out those days. It's not the end of the world if I pamper myself on my four painful days out of the month. No guilt because I workout extra hard and long once I'm no longer crampy.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Exercise eases my cramps and bleeding - it makes me feel 100 times better. That and I'm not going to let my period be a handicap. I just keep pushing forward.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Honestly....I used to take an extra rest day or two. It's a non-issue now as I'm on mirena, but I used to have horrible pms symptoms. And contrary to what everyone said, exercise did not help. I could usually get through a lifting workout or a spin class, but I only felt more fatigued after. And I would be just as irritable because it usually ended up being a crappy workout. Running only made my cramping worse. So on my worst days I would just rest. An occasional rest day is not a bad thing. Sometimes tea would help relax; sometimes a glass of wine.
  • af_wife2004
    af_wife2004 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I don't. I take the 2-3 days and rest. I get severe migraines (the kind where you lose your vision and are either in bed or vomiting) and cramps that will literally have my keeled over with the onset of my period that I don't workout. I can usually only keep carbs down for those couple of days so I do my best to get my water in and keep my calories on track and don't worry about any other IIFYM numbers I use the rest of the time. I'm still losing and it hasn't set my fitness back any.
  • MsBeverleyH
    MsBeverleyH Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I workout at home, so it's slightly different, but just listening to the right kind of music and watching the right music video (or two) gets me going.

Yes, I might be in pain. Yes, I would rather lie in bed with all of the chocolate in the world...But I ask myself "would I rather lie here or be one step closer to my goal?" It usually gets me up and moving.

If you only partly try, then you'll only see part results.
  • notaproblemjoan
    Options
    When I really need the extra motivation, I find some music I want to listen to or a TV show I want to watch and then deny myself access to it except while working out. That way I actually look forward to my sessions because I get to listen to a new or favourite song/album or catch up on GoT or whatever. It makes it into a treat so that my anticipation of the media overrides my dread of the exercise or unwillingness to get up early :)
  • koosobie
    koosobie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am so glad I am not the only one that bails on my period.

I try to chug water, that sort of stops me from eating silly things... but I only do physical things if it is extremely important
  • kcmccormack
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels lame when I feel like Crap. I try most of the time I push through it, and working out has helped my symptoms immensely, but not completely.

My biggest problem is fatigue. The music tricks you guys mentioned is a good one! As is tv trick. Like bribing myself, lol.

Water helps me too koosobie!

Interesting replies guys, thank y'all:)
  • OwassoSoccerMom
    Options
    Working out helps ease my symptoms, but I hear on the getting started part. I have found that a natural supplement called Y Cramp that my aunt sent me HELPS me out tremendously. First sign of my time of the month and I start taking them regularly.
  • kcmccormack
    Options
    Working out helps ease my symptoms, but I hear on the getting started part. I have found that a natural supplement called Y Cramp that my aunt sent me HELPS me out tremendously. First sign of my time of the month and I start taking them regularly.

Interesting! I've never heard of that. I was taking evening primrose for awhile and definitely felt like it helped alot of symptoms...I'm bad at supplements though, I forget them and Im never consistent.

But it might be something that could help some of you ladies! The woman at the health store responded "OMG YES! The HAPPY pills! We love those" when I asked if they had them.
  • w0den
    w0den Posts: 84
    Options
    OH Dear Lord! I want to eat my fingers, five cheeseburgers and a double fudge sundae! It's a constant struggle! I wish I had some tips. I usually end up eating a few things and making myself sick from the sugar overload
  • kcmccormack
    Options
    w0den wrote: »
    OH Dear Lord! I want to eat my fingers, five cheeseburgers and a double fudge sundae! It's a constant struggle! I wish I had some tips. I usually end up eating a few things and making myself sick from the sugar overload

I wanna do that too. I make myself a batch of "breakfast cookies". (1cup oats, 1/2cup natural nut butter and 1 mashed banana) but I add unsweetened cocoa or chocolate chips. I divide the recipe into 16 cookies, roughly 55cal each. Helps give me the illusion I'm eating chocolate but at least not as guilty feeling.

Also, for some reason, cinnamon in my coffee helps my sugar cravings.

I trick myself into thinking I'm satisfied with food cravings lol
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you work out during your period and it makes you feel worse, talk to your gyno and have them check for endometriosis. I know working out causes my symptoms to worsen.
  • kcmccormack
    Options
    itstimeRK wrote: »
    Exercise eases my cramps and bleeding - it makes me feel 100 times better. That and I'm not going to let my period be a handicap. I just keep pushing forward.

You are so lucky.

Agreed
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I rest if I need it. Nothing like making you dread going back to a place than forcing yourself to do something you really don't want to do. I try to work out, but usually at a much lower intensity and for less time. As far as food, I eat what I want but in smaller quantities. I only need a few pieces of chocolate to handle that craving. If I go over on calories it's never more than 200. And I'm ok with that. Doing that for a few days once a month isn't going to hurt in the long run. And if it keeps me happy and on track, then so be it!
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    One of the joys of getting older is that my periods are starting to become a bit irregular, varying from 35-45 days. I am also having more symptoms than I ever had in my 20's or 30's. This time around, I have had awful fatigue, although I didn't initially associate the two, since that is a new one for me. (And maybe it's just a coincidence. I guess I'll know in a few days, if it doesn't start improving.)

However, it seems as if the more weight I lose, with each cycle the cravings for sugar get worse and worse. I have been getting the munchies SO badly, but only for sweets, that I don't know what I am going to do to get through it. I tried to just eat a little bit of something over the weekend, and that didn't work out very well for me. It seems as if, along with wanting to eat every cupcake, cookie, candy bar, and piece of chocolate within a 50 mile radius of my house, I have lost any self-control I typically have to simply eat one item and walk away from the rest. Case and point, the pan of brownies I baked Friday night were gone Sunday morning. (Those would be the same pan of brownies that were baked to take to a pitch-in dinner, but never made it there.) Absolutely. No. Self-control. At. All.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    My number one symptom of PMS is not out-of-control appetite or even cramps. It's out-of-control crankiness! I get irritated at everyone and everything and, quite honestly, that's when I need my gym time. So, I go hit the treadmill or lift some weights while giving all the muscle men the stink eye (you lookin' at MY squat rack?!?) and everyone is happier for it.