How to record "The 7 minute workout"

I am unsure how to properly record my workouts into MyFitnessTracker. Hoping someone can help as it seems to be a popular workout.

I typically do the 7 minute high intensity workout that seems to be a mix of cardio and strength. It consists of doing things like jumping jacks, pushups, squats, step ups, sit ups/crunches and wall sits. The exercises are done at maximum intensity for thirty seconds, with ten seconds of rest between each. I've linked to an image below that shows all the steps of the exercise.http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2013/05/12/health/12well_physed/12well_physed-tmagArticle.jpg

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Seven minutes of calisthenics
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    edited February 2015
    dont bother. You're really not burning anything significant in 7 minutes

ETA - I meant dont bother logging it. Go ahead and do the workout, but don't bother logging it. It's very hard to accurately quantify the calorie burn for something like that.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    500,000 calories
  • jman6076
    jman6076 Posts: 2 Member

Seven minutes of HIIT is easily equivalent to 20-30 minutes of the same exercise at average sustained intensity, and the entire rotation is typically completed at least twice. That aside, the entire point of this endeavor is to track all activity. Unrelated, but I dig the avatar.

OdesAngel wrote: »
    500,000 calories

Gee, thanks. That's super helpful.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited February 2015
    Personally I wouldn't log a 7min workout. You *may* burn 100-150 calories (assuming a 170+ HR)....but I would just have that as a bonus and not eat it back....

If you really want to log it, or if you do more than one round then id suggest using a HRM to get a better estimated burn to log....MFP stuff can be good or off the charts.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Why just 7 minutes?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited February 2015
    jman6076 wrote: »

Seven minutes of HIIT is easily equivalent to 20-30 minutes of the same exercise at average sustained intensity, and the entire rotation is typically completed at least twice. That aside, the entire point of this endeavor is to track all activity. Unrelated, but I dig the avatar.

OdesAngel wrote: »
    500,000 calories

Gee, thanks. That's super helpful.

It was actually much much more helpful than what you just posted. Are you familiar with the workout? That 7 minute workout don't burn nuthin. NUTHIN.
  • jennifershoo
    Here I fixed the image for you:

12well_physed-tmagArticle.jpg
  • jennifershoo
    Looks more like a warm up. Crunches, planks, don't burn that much. Don't log it. Or log it for the purpose of knowing you did it, but just put 1 calorie burn.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    7 minutes is just that.can choose low/moderate or vigorous.
    why HIIT people delude themselves is beyond my comprehension.
    yes,i do it too,but just log time/ distance/ effort.
  • Ladiebug710
    Ladiebug710 Posts: 133 Member
    I agree with previous posters, do the workout but don't log it
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Take your weight and age and heart rate average for the workout and plug it into this --->
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

For example, for me, if I got my heart rate up to 150 and could keep it at that or above for the entire 7 minutes of working out, I would burn approx 115 calories in that time frame.

It is going to be a guessing game though. If you are doing this so you can get yourself in a calorie deficit and eat more, I would be careful with how many calories you eat back.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Take your weight and age and heart rate average for the workout and plug it into this --->
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

For example, for me, if I got my heart rate up to 150 and could keep it at that or above for the entire 7 minutes of working out, I would burn approx 115 calories in that time frame.

It is going to be a guessing game though. If you are doing this so you can get yourself in a calorie deficit and eat more, I would be careful with how many calories you eat back.

That's terrible advice
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member

What? LOL at this advice.

If I could burn 115 calories in 7 minutes then that's all the exercise I'd ever do!
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member

If I could burn 115 calories in 7 minutes then that's all the exercise I'd ever do!

This. I've done the 7 minute workout. It's the equivalent of a cardio warm up before you get to the intense stuff. I know it can be hard for those that are just starting out exercising, but it's not going to burn a significant amount of calories. It's really not all that intense of a "workout."

Try this and see what I'm saying. A typical HIIT routine I might do at the end of a lifting session. 20 seconds on x 10 seconds rest, four times through before moving on to the next exercise. 10 minutes for the entire routine.
    1. Squat jumps
    2. Burpees
    3. Jumping lunges
    4. Plyo box up-and-overs (or high knees if you have no box or bench)
    5. Star jumps

That will have the average person huffing and wheezing by the end of it, but even THAT isn't enough of a workout for me to actually log it. I'd guess, for my height and weight, it would be about 50 calories burned. Half of a banana - big whoop.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    7 minute workout? I would put maybe 35 calories and that would be pushing it. You are misinformed on HIIT calorie burns.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    I do 15 minutes of calisthenics/stretching/body weight most mornings. I don't log it. It's not burning significant calories.
  • groetting
    groetting Posts: 1 Member

He didnt't say that YOU could burn 115 calories in 7 minutes, he said that according to that calculator where you put in your details, it says that HE could burn about 115 kcal. He also said that he would be careful about logging it if he eats back.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Pretty much exactly what I was saying. The problem is, you would have to have your heart rate already up to 150 when you started. So in theory, you could burn 115 cals with a high heart rate in 7 minutes. Try running a seven minute mile on an incline and see how many cals you burn in that seven minutes. Depending on your weight and conditioning you could actually burn more than that.