How to record "The 7 minute workout"

Options

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    DvlDwnInGA wrote: »
    Pretty much exactly what I was saying. The problem is, you would have to have your heart rate already up to 150 when you started. So in theory, you could burn 115 cals with a high heart rate in 7 minutes. Try running a seven minute mile on an incline and see how many cals you burn in that seven minutes. Depending on your weight and conditioning you could actually burn more than that.

OK, and the workout posted is not going to do that. If one were to cycle through the leg work hard (jumping jacks / step-ups / high-knees) for seven minutes, you possibly could burn ~15 cals per minute (depends on bodyweight, of course). With all that other static and small-muscle stuff in the workout, no freakin' way.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Here I fixed the image for you:

12well_physed-tmagArticle.jpg

This is in no way equal to running a 7minute mile. Pretty sure I'd barely break a sweat doing this warm up.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Take your weight and age and heart rate average for the workout and plug it into this --->
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

For example, for me, if I got my heart rate up to 150 and could keep it at that or above for the entire 7 minutes of working out, I would burn approx 115 calories in that time frame.

It is going to be a guessing game though. If you are doing this so you can get yourself in a calorie deficit and eat more, I would be careful with how many calories you eat back.

Um, no. You don't burn 115 cals in 7 at a HR of 150 bpm.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Pretty much exactly what I was saying. The problem is, you would have to have your heart rate already up to 150 when you started. So in theory, you could burn 115 cals with a high heart rate in 7 minutes. Try running a seven minute mile on an incline and see how many cals you burn in that seven minutes. Depending on your weight and conditioning you could actually burn more than that.

bad advice is still bad
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Take your weight and age and heart rate average for the workout and plug it into this --->
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

For example, for me, if I got my heart rate up to 150 and could keep it at that or above for the entire 7 minutes of working out, I would burn approx 115 calories in that time frame.

It is going to be a guessing game though. If you are doing this so you can get yourself in a calorie deficit and eat more, I would be careful with how many calories you eat back.

Um, no. You don't burn 115 cals in 7 at a HR of 150 bpm.

You couldn't. How much do you weigh? You do understand heavier people burn more calories than people who are lighter.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

bad advice is still bad

If you cant understand the simplicity with taking a calculation, running it through a simple cal burning estimator, which btw is the exact thing this site depends on, estimated calculations for your age, weight, and activity to then give you your estimated calorie needs to lose weight, then I don't know what to tell you man.
  • DavPul
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

bad advice is still bad

If you cant understand the simplicity with taking a calculation, running it through a simple cal burning estimator, which btw is the exact thing this site depends on, estimated calculations for your age, weight, and activity to then give you your estimated calorie needs to lose weight, then I don't know what to tell you man.

we finally agree on something
  • DvlDwnInGA
    Options
    Agreed.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wavylayz wrote: »
    Many of you are on your high horse about this 7 minute workout and have not done it as told. You are supposed to do it 2 or 3 times. Its 16 minutes and 10 seconds if you do it twice and it is a very good workout for beginners and intermediates. Since you are all fitness experts on this workout routine, you shouldn't have to guess based on your fitness level whether or not this workout helps this guy or not. So shut up. He is asking a good question that I searched as well. How do we log this? I have done it for a year and this workout is awesome. The rest of you are just sort of being dicks.

He actually got a ton of answers telling him how to log it. However long it lasts, log it as calisthenics. Or just figure 5-6 calories per minute of work. It may not be the answer he wanted to hear, but it's about as correct as you are going to get.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Many of you are on your high horse about this 7 minute workout and have not done it as told. You are supposed to do it 2 or 3 times. Its 16 minutes and 10 seconds if you do it twice and it is a very good workout for beginners and intermediates. Since you are all fitness experts on this workout routine, you shouldn't have to guess based on your fitness level whether or not this workout helps this guy or not. So shut up. He is asking a good question that I searched as well. How do we log this? I have done it for a year and this workout is awesome. The rest of you are just sort of being dicks.

solid first post :|
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Here I fixed the image for you:

12well_physed-tmagArticle.jpg
    That's kind of what my warm ups look like. I don't count those 10ish minutes as my real workout. They're just surprise bonuses that I don't calculate. Buffers, I guess.

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I would log it as circuit training. I do 4 sets x various reps of similar routines with weights. My focus is on form while I try to beat my time. I up the resistance every month.

I also do a warm-up of 50 jumping-jacks, 20 burpees, 15 squats, 30 Mt. Climbers, 15 dips, 10 lateral lunges, 40 high knees. I add this to my circuit training time too.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options

You register on this forum and make your first post reviving a five months old thread so you can insult people and break various forum abuse rules? Good job!
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options

You register on this forum and make your first post reviving a five months old thread so you can insult people and break various forum abuse rules? Good job!

Some things just need to be said.

This seems to be designed as a High Intensity workout and the best thing might be to strap on a heart rate monitor.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    edwardetr wrote: »

This seems to be designed as a High Intensity workout and the best thing might be to strap on a heart rate monitor.

Except HRMs aren't designed to track calorie burns doing exercises like these, otherwise, it would have been suggested. HRMs are for steady state cardio when it comes to calorie burns.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Lol no

It contains wall sits, tricep dips, sit ups and planks. They are not high intensity.
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Lol no

It contains wall sits, tricep dips, sit ups and planks. They are not high intensity.

Then it's just 7 minutes of calisthenics and probably more energy has been expended worrying about tracking it than actually doing it.

• DavPul
    Options

post-192-0-77482800-1429805079.gif
  • DavPul
    Options

Another *kitten* on his high horse who completely misses the point.

are you on some sort of 7 minute workout crusade? how many posts on this subject are you going to revive to insult people today?
  • ericGold15
    ericGold15 Posts: 318 Member
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I perform this exercise almost daily -- 2 to 3 circuits each time. I shoot for 4 - 8 circuits a day. I log it as 45 kCal per circuit IIRC.

I wondered about the calories/circuit also. Heart rate is not going to be a good surrogate because only a relatively small fraction of the body is used in each exercise. In the end I just decided that 8 circuits over an hour would be a killer for me, so calling it 8*45 = 360 kCal seemed conservative since I can push a Precor elliptical for an hour and have it report ~ 700 kCal.

One caveat though: The routine can be done relatively easy, or not. I shoot for 1 well performed rep per second. I usually end up with 20 - 25 reps per 30 second over a multi-circuit session.