Can't lose the weight gained during maintainence

Options
hello I have increased my maintenance cal from 1300 + fitbit cal to 1400 + fitbit cal for like a week or two but I've gained a kg so I dropped my cal to 1200 cal for 1 month close to two moths now but I can't seem to lose the weight I gained. Why is that so??

Replies

• rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    was the gain muscle perhaps? true gain?
  • marialy21
    marialy21 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Funny I just read an article how fitbit has helped people gain weight. Hopefully it's not really the case. Maybe amp up ur workouts and don't eat back too much exercise call? ?
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    rayfu75 wrote: »

How do you determine if it's true gain?
  • Wingg_
    Options
    marialy21 wrote: »
    Funny I just read an article how fitbit has helped people gain weight. Hopefully it's not really the case. Maybe amp up ur workouts and don't eat back too much exercise call? ?

When I was eating 1300+ fitbit cal I was maintaining ...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You aren't in a calorie deficit.

Maybe your fitbit is exagerating?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nothing is exact. You have to find what works for you.
    I do not use my fit bit for anything except to motivate me to move more. I log my food and any exercise I do on MFP and monitor my weight. If I gain a little I cut back on calories consumed for a few days. It has worked for me so far and I have been maintaining for 15 months. I give myself a 5 pound cushion, but will cut calories consumed @ a 3 pound gain.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you are gaining then you are simply eating back too many exercise calories. I find my Fitbit pretty accurate but even in maintenance I don't eat back all the calories it gives me, I eat back 70% of them. The scale will always fluctuate but it will always come back down again if you aren't eating over TDEE.

ps it takes a few months for our bodies to adjust to maintenance and having more calories to use up, but it does get used to the extra. It took my weight a few months to settle at higher cals. I currently am able to eat at 2200 and maintain. It took time to reverse diet up from 1800 cals to get to 2200 but sticking with it was worth the patience/wait :)
  • Wingg_
    Options
    I'm not gaining now... Just can't seem to lose the 1kg so I'm thinking if i should go back to the original plan of eating 1300+ fitbit cal... Any suggestions?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband and I walk together and he gets literally 75% more steps than I do. He takes little tiny steps. He doesn't use 75% more calories than I do. I love fitbit, but you have to work your calories and your steps to fit your maintenance. For my first year in maintenance I was at a 250 calorie deficit according to MFP. I didn't lose weight, so obviously I wasn't (I also ate back my fitbit calories). After a year I lost weight so dropped to 0 calorie deficit. I've maintained now for another year. You just have to figure out how YOUR calories match YOUR weight gain.

If you can't lose, I would suggest looking at your macros. I can't lose weight unless I'm at under 40% carbs (that's high protein and fat, not low carbs). That's true for lots of folks, especially those who have been heavy for a while or have a tendency towards insulin resistance. High protein won't do you any harm anyway.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Quite some time ago I was eating 1200 cal + fitbit cal before upping to 1300+ fitbit cal after I upped my cal I lost weight. So I'm wondering if I should do the same now.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When you've lost weight you need to recalculate your calories because smaller people use fewer calories.
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    rayfu75 wrote: »

How do you determine if it's true gain?

body fat % perhaps.

@nxd10 has a good point as well. Recalcuating every so often when you've dropped 5-10lbs ?
  • Wingg_
    Options
    That was when I was trying to figure out my maintenance cal and not trying to lose weight. However, either way I did not hit the maintenance cal given by MFP because I gained a kg when I upped to 1400cal + fitbit cal it was an immediate gain so I waited for a week or two but it didn't drop so here I am eating 1200+ Fitbit cal for almost 2 months now but the weight didn't go away.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    Did you change anything ie cut back on your exercise ? Your body should have got used to the extra cals, and it would have done if you'd given it more time, it takes patience and allowance for fluctuations in weight...what are your total average cals eaten in the day?
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Did you change anything ie cut back on your exercise ? Your body should have got used to the extra cals, and it would have done if you'd given it more time, it takes patience and allowance for fluctuations in weight...what are your total average cals eaten in the day?

How much time would I need to give it? I normally eat close to 2000cal pr more on my exercise day.
    I'm wondering if I should lose more weight because I'm having a 4days trip to Taiwan. So I am thinking that I should lose some weight in advance but seems like it isn't working.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @wingg_ I usually try to lose a few pounds before a holiday knowing that it gives some leeway for eating more, you must be eating just slightly above maintenance calories if you aren't staying the same/losing - how about for this week you eat 1900 cals total, see how that works for you? its a matter of playing around with calories to find our sweet spot.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1. A kg is hardly worth worrying about and should fall within the normal range of fluctuations (I usually maintain about a 5 lb range)
    2. If 1300 + fitbit had you maintaining then that was your maintenance. Go back to that and you should be fine
  • Wingg_
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun‌ I'm trying to lose some weight but it is not happening I don't know why... So I'm thinking should I continue trying to lose weight or just go back to 1300 + Fitbit cal
  • Wingg_
    Options
    1. A kg is hardly worth worrying about and should fall within the normal range of fluctuations (I usually maintain about a 5 lb range)
    2. If 1300 + fitbit had you maintaining then that was your maintenance. Go back to that and you should be fine

But I want to lose some weight to prepare for my trip so I don't know what to do...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @wingg_ so reduce your calories just a little bit and try and change up your exercise, circuits work great for getting the scale moving, they always do for me - anything to get calories burned etc :)

What does your fitbit gives you as a daily average total burn ?
    and what do your workouts look like? or your average steps? and your height/age etc?