Can't lose the weight gained during maintainence

Options

Replies

• Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @wingg_ so reduce your calories just a little bit and try and change up your exercise, circuits work great for getting the scale moving, they always do for me - anything to get calories burned etc :)

What does your fitbit gives you as a daily average total burn ?
    and what do your workouts look like? or your average steps? and your height/age etc?

Sometimes it varies from 500-1000 cal I walk a lot I use it when I jog as well. Currently I'm having school holiday so I'll work to the gym which is pretty far and back home. I would jog and brisk walk on the treadmill. I'm 19, 159-161 cm.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    @wingg_ you're young so thats in your favour, how many steps? I do an average of 17000 steps in the day, 5miles/10k steps are ran and my total burn is never higher than 2400, my BMR is just under 1500, so the cals according to fitbit aren't likely to be out too much. You're a similar height to me but as I'm older I wont burn as much as you. I would say for you to eat 1300+75% of your fitbit calories, Which is around 2000 cals. Just stick with it, the scale will move again, it really will :)
  • Wingg_
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun‌ I walk like 30000-40000 steps. So after I've lose some weight and after the trip I should maintain at 1300+ all fitbit cal? Like I used to?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @wingg_ then you really DO NEED TO EAT lol, thats a heck of a lot of steps. I don't understand why you are not losing with all that activity. But your body is refusing to let go and it must think you aren't eating enough - I have found this to be true - I used to stall eating at 1500 total cals and then I upped, was at the point I was losing on 1800 cals and now at maintenance I eat 2100 - 2300. Give your body more fuel in the form of some more cals for a few weeks, this plateau will pass, just give it time.
    - I take it you are meticulous about measuring/weighing your food?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    have you taken your measurements? are they still the same, or smaller? how do your clothes feel?
  • Wingg_
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun‌ I weigh everything I put into my mouth even bread. So I think it's pretty accurate. I think they're the same my clothes fit like it used to. So I'll go back to 1300+ Fitbit cal after the trip. For now I shall continue with 1200+ Fitbit cal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    wishing you success, and have a great trip :smile: )
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    rayfu75 wrote: »
    was the gain muscle perhaps? true gain?

not on 1300 calories a day with no progressive heavy lifting program ...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - you are overestimating your calorie burns which is leading you to eat more than you think.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Trying to fine-tune that last vanity kilo/couple of pounds when you're already at a healthy weight seems as hard as losing the first 25, I swear! I don't have any suggestions because I'm still struggling with a couple of stubborn holiday pounds myself, but I wish you luck. And try not to worry about it too much. As I often need to remind myself, that while that small gain above what felt like the perfect number is annoying, as long as you're not continuing to gain and your clothes still fit, it's not really a big deal. :-)
  • Wingg_
    Options
    wishing you success, and have a great trip :smile: )

Thank you for your help!
  • Wingg_
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OP - you are overestimating your calorie burns which is leading you to eat more than you think.

But I used the same method to maintain the goal weight... I'm confused.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Wingg_ wrote: »
    1. A kg is hardly worth worrying about and should fall within the normal range of fluctuations (I usually maintain about a 5 lb range)
    2. If 1300 + fitbit had you maintaining then that was your maintenance. Go back to that and you should be fine

But I want to lose some weight to prepare for my trip so I don't know what to do...

Because of the number on the scale or have your actual measurements changed? 1 kg, even if it's pure fat, should not show up at all. Water weight might change your measurements but all you can do for that is to drink water and be patient.

This kind of obsessing over the scale number isn't a good mindset. Maintenance is about ranges.
  • Wingg_
    Options
    Trying to fine-tune that last vanity kilo/couple of pounds when you're already at a healthy weight seems as hard as losing the first 25, I swear! I don't have any suggestions because I'm still struggling with a couple of stubborn holiday pounds myself, but I wish you luck. And try not to worry about it too much. As I often need to remind myself, that while that small gain above what felt like the perfect number is annoying, as long as you're not continuing to gain and your clothes still fit, it's not really a big deal. :-)

Good luck to you! Let's shake it off!
  • Wingg_
    Options
    1. A kg is hardly worth worrying about and should fall within the normal range of fluctuations (I usually maintain about a 5 lb range)
    2. If 1300 + fitbit had you maintaining then that was your maintenance. Go back to that and you should be fine

But I want to lose some weight to prepare for my trip so I don't know what to do...

Because of the number on the scale or have your actual measurements changed? 1 kg, even if it's pure fat, should not show up at all. Water weight might change your measurements but all you can do for that is to drink water and be patient.

This kind of obsessing over the scale number isn't a good mindset. Maintenance is about ranges.

I'm kind of obsessed over the scale is because I'm going on a trip in March so I'm afraid I'll gain lots of weight back...
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I'm kind of obsessed over the scale is because I'm going on a trip in March so I'm afraid I'll gain lots of weight back...

Then eat reasonably on your trip. The worst that happens is that you gain back a couple of pounds and you eat a bit less for awhile when you get back. You already know how to lose, you can do it again.

But my point is, you cannot maintain a completely stable weight all the time. It isn't possible. I've been in maintenance for 2 years and my weight still swings up and down within a 5 lb (2 kg) range. If I got upset every time I woke up weighing 125 instead of 123 I'd make myself miserable.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    If you're gaining, would that mean you're not in maintenance?
  • Wingg_
    Options

Then eat reasonably on your trip. The worst that happens is that you gain back a couple of pounds and you eat a bit less for awhile when you get back. You already know how to lose, you can do it again.

But my point is, you cannot maintain a completely stable weight all the time. It isn't possible. I've been in maintenance for 2 years and my weight still swings up and down within a 5 lb (2 kg) range. If I got upset every time I woke up weighing 125 instead of 123 I'd make myself miserable.

Now I'm stagnant at this +1kg weight so my weight would fluctuate up to 2kg. Before the gain if the scale swing up a kg I won't sweat about it because it isn't stagnant. Now it is...
  • Wingg_
    Options
    If you're gaining, would that mean you're not in maintenance?

Not gaining it's I gained.