Does what you eat change how you look?

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I started to get compliments that I looked healthier when I increased my exercise. I have noted people who are not eating enough get a rough complexion, even a little grey. That is all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    What if they're the same person but one of them is from the future!?
    url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemecreator.eu%2Fmedia%2Ftemplates%2F160%2Fconspiracy-keanu.jpg&ei=yB3aVI7uEeHnsAS39YLQCg&psig=AFQjCNE6Iv3x7iWIeFDuKQAoZUcH40fAqQ&ust=1423667016387234

what if you became obese in the future, but then were transplanted to the present where you are thin???????
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    AHainzl wrote: »
    What if they're the same person but one of them is from the future!?
    url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0CAUQjBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmemecreator.eu%2Fmedia%2Ftemplates%2F160%2Fconspiracy-keanu.jpg&ei=yB3aVI7uEeHnsAS39YLQCg&psig=AFQjCNE6Iv3x7iWIeFDuKQAoZUcH40fAqQ&ust=1423667016387234

what if you became obese in the future, but then were transplanted to the present where you are thin???????

A black hole forms.
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »
    sjohnny wrote: »
    I get a bloated face when I eat crap food (though the bloat does make me look younger) and acne on my face and back. So I definitely look different when I'm shoveling cookies into my face than when I'm eating veggies and/or meats. If I keep eating crap I'll be constantly horizontal or slumped in a chair, too, which is markedly different from how someone looks when out for a walk on a sunny day.

I don't know about that. My dog eats crap all the time and she's perfectly healthy and full of energy. Maybe because it's cat crap? I'm not a coprogastrologist so I don't know how all that works and I don't know what kind of crap you're eating that slumps you in a chair but maybe try cat?

Haha. I know to be more precise on this site. So many smart alecs! How do you know your dog doesn't have zits under her coat?

Crap = cookies, chips, ice cream, cake, and candy, all in large quantities!

I eat tons of cookies, ice cream, cake and candy. I never break out.

Sounds like bad genetics to me.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I get a bloated face when I eat crap food (though the bloat does make me look younger) and acne on my face and back. So I definitely look different when I'm shoveling cookies into my face than when I'm eating veggies and/or meats. If I keep eating crap I'll be constantly horizontal or slumped in a chair, too, which is markedly different from how someone looks when out for a walk on a sunny day.

I don't know about that. My dog eats crap all the time and she's perfectly healthy and full of energy. Maybe because it's cat crap? I'm not a coprogastrologist so I don't know how all that works and I don't know what kind of crap you're eating that slumps you in a chair but maybe try cat?

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something"

:drinker:
  • ndj1979
    Options

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; Fools, because they have to say something"

is your profile pic from dragon age???
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Legend.

DON'T YOU KNOW ME, BOY?
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Though food is about 80% factor on wight, it would be the exercise and activity that would determine body composition as such... I might be wrong
  • ndj1979
    Options

Legend.

DON'T YOU KNOW ME, BOY?

LOLZ ...my bad...
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    JossFit wrote: »
    No two people are the same so you cannot really make these comparisons, but essentially what you are asking is if food quality, macronutrient ratios and micronutrient ratios matter, and yes, they do.

Ultimately calories are king, but when it comes do the health of your metabolism, energy, muscle mass versus fat mass, hormones and ADHERENCE to a way of eating, the foods you are eating do matter.

You can incorporate "junk" food into most any diet and see positive changes, but ultimately the more you increase your consumption of nutrient-dense foods the better off you will be.

end thread here
  • Shy_Yogi
    Shy_Yogi Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Watch that show "Downsize Me" (its on Hulu...not sure where else). Look at those people....every episode I saw, you can physically see the difference healthy eating and exercise makes on people. They look healthier, they glow, they're more energetic....whether they are overweight or not, the physical benefits are obvious. They also compare normal, healthy people and put them on an unhealthy diet...and you can see a physical difference there as well. Some of the medical results were shocking. If you can't believe what you read....check it out with your own eyes.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    timeapart wrote: »
    I'm curious.
    If you had two women of exactly the same everything- height weight etc.
    If both ate 1200 cals a day.
    But one ate a balanced diet of protein and carbs and veggies etc.
    The other ate junk food of the same calories.
    Would the look the same.
    I'm aware that one would be healthier on the inside, and have the benefits that come with a balanced diet.
    Just wondering if they would have the same outcome?

Can I just point out that one can incorporate junk food into a balanced diet? i.e. Junk food + whatever nutrients it's missing eaten separately in salad or sides or breakfast can still equal nutrient balance?

Balance is something that involves getting all the necessary macro and micro nutrients in the appropriate quantities, that's all. From your quote, "protein and carbs and veggies" only veggies is a specific type of food.

Fwiw, I don't eat much junk food because for me its name is a good descriptor of the taste. But I don't eat "clean" either which I suspect is what you actually mean by balance.

How the women would look would arguably depend much, much more on genetics than their food, assuming that neither gets nutrient deficient, and perhaps even then.

Good post!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    As others have mentioned, one of the biggest differences would be exercise. For me personally, if I ate all "junk food" (assuming I am properly understanding what you mean by junk food) I'd have a really hard time staying at 1200 calories, so would likely be in a bad mood, and would not be energetic or motivated enough to exercise. If nothing else, that lack of exercise would make a difference for the worse in how I looked. Also, I'd probably feel worse, and that affects how I look.

On the other hand, while I did it at one point, I might well be in a bad mood if I ate 1200 calories of all "healthy" foods at my current weight, and without any treats (although I reject the idea that what I think of as treats are necessarily "unhealthy" as part of a balanced diet) plus 1200 calories (or really one or the other) I wouldn't be that motivated to keep this up and probably would not have the energy to continue with the exercise routine I like.

As an example, I ate extremely healthy in January (well, according to me), and very little food that would be defined as "junk" by most, and kept my calories in the 1500s for the most part and carbs around 100-125 usually, and for me that wasn't great, because although I lost well I ended up feeling really tired and burnt out and moody. I increased calories a little and carbs more significantly in the last few days, and I feel great and I am sure I look better overall (although my body probably looks the same, and that's probably what you mean). Not saying this is the only cause or that it's necessarily true for anyone but me. (On the other hand, when I had more to lose and was exercising less a lower calorie/carb limit was no problem, and clearly some people do well on lower carbs.)
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who lost 180 pounds by changing her diet to extreme vegan and working out. I have another who used MFP (that's how I found it) who through diet (from what I've seen its a pretty well rounded diet) and exercise lost 160 pounds. They are two years apart in age, the biggest difference that I see, is the one who went vegan looks like she aged 15 years when she hit goal. (She's a super picky eater and I have a feeling she's missing some nutrients and protein in her diet). For myself if I eat a lot of sodium my face and hands get puffy (it also triggers a migraine if I eat to much of it).
  • ndj1979
    Options
    DragonMeat wrote: »
    Watch that show "Downsize Me" (its on Hulu...not sure where else). Look at those people....every episode I saw, you can physically see the difference healthy eating and exercise makes on people. They look healthier, they glow, they're more energetic....whether they are overweight or not, the physical benefits are obvious. They also compare normal, healthy people and put them on an unhealthy diet...and you can see a physical difference there as well. Some of the medical results were shocking. If you can't believe what you read....check it out with your own eyes.

I am just going to say no, ad leave it at that.

there ware way to many factors to consider in the examples listed in your post to know if that is accurate or not.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    My guess is that it all comes down to genetics.

I bet the person eating the junk is not going to age as well, but again...genetics is probably more important than anything.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »

Haha. I know to be more precise on this site. So many smart alecs! How do you know your dog doesn't have zits under her coat?

I eat tons of cookies, ice cream, cake and candy. I never break out.

Sounds like bad genetics to me.

Oh I definitely picked the wrong parents! Joint problems, diabetes, bad backs, a few certifiables, a couple of alcoholics, two celiacs and counting, and some general crankypants like me.
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    In myself, I notice the whites of my eyes are brighter and my skin is softer and more even.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Socookies, chips, ice cream, cake, and candy in large quantities = crap. But the same foods in moderation isn't crap, I get it now.

I put in the quantity amount to be precise, even if the word 'crap' wasn't. I have no idea if small quantities as part of an otherwise balanced diet would cause my skin to breakout or my face to bloat or my energy to drop because I turn my nose up at the crumbs other people consider a serving size. It's simply not worth my bother!