First Marathon Prep

Options

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There are several training programs out there to get you in marathon shape. But most of them start with the assumption you can do a 5K. I’d start with a c25K program, bust it out and then work on the longer runs (they’ll actually come easier once you get past the pace/breathing issues and get your “second wind.”). You won’t have to run 26.2 miles in training to do it for the race, but you’ll want a couple of runs in the 18 to 20 mile range, race adrenaline will push you to finish if you want it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    I just looked it up and the race I agreed to is a 5k so I should be fine

:neutral_face:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

those 5k marathons are the WORST
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

those 5k marathons are the WORST

LOL Yes they are!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have been quiet because I didn't want the OP to feel like I was saying anything negative towards them (I am not)...

But this is the second time in just a couple days that a thread was created here discussing a "marathon" that was really only a 5k.

How is it that anyone, runners or otherwise, could not understand what a marathon is? And how could they ever confuse it with a 5k? I can never recall a point, ever, where people casually referred to races of any length as "marathons".

This is very perplexing to me. I will probably regret asking. But this has really been gnawing at me.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    How is it that someone who is not a runner still does not understand what a marathon is?

I made the observation on the other thread that marathon festival probably contributes to that.
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options
    That makes sense. I have a half marathon coming up in April that is part of an event called "The Garmin Marathon". It has a marathon, half marathon and I think a 10k even.

So, I am running in "The Garmin Marathon", but running the half marathon. I had to go out of my way to clear that up though.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Indeed. I had similar last year when i ran in the Clarendon Marathon, but ran the last 21.1Km of it :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have been quiet because I didn't want the OP to feel like I was saying anything negative towards them (I am not)...

But this is the second time in just a couple days that a thread was created here discussing a "marathon" that was really only a 5k.

How is it that anyone, runners or otherwise, could not understand what a marathon is? And how could they ever confuse it with a 5k? I can never recall a point, ever, where people casually referred to races of any length as "marathons".

This is very perplexing to me. I will probably regret asking. But this has really been gnawing at me.

I THOUGHT THIS WAS A PLACE FOR POSITIVE SUPPORT
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Perplexing to me is the possibility of mutual ignorance (OP, and possibly friend) and the combined jumping into fitness events without any clue as to what they even consist of. Then again, I'm weird - I won't even go to a restaurant without asking a few questions first.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Perplexing to me is the possibility of mutual ignorance (OP, and possibly friend) and the combined jumping into fitness events without any clue as to what they even consist of. Then again, I'm weird - I won't even go to a restaurant without asking a few questions first.

A while back a very overweight, sedentary friend of mine comes up to me and the conversation went like this:

Friend: Hey, my boss just convinced me to sign up for the <insert 100 mile charity ride here>. Can you help me train? I have a bike. (It's a rusty POS mountain bike from Walmart)

Me: Uhh... when is it?

Friend: In two months. Think I can do it?

Me: No.... (then I walk away never to speak of it again)
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

My local track club puts on a race every year with about 12,000 half marathoners and 1,200 marathoners signing up. Everyone gets a medal that says "Marathon." The YMCA training class that's linked to the race encourages all the people who run the half to call themselves marathoners. It drives me batty.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    kozinskey wrote: »

My local track club puts on a race every year with about 12,000 half marathoners and 1,200 marathoners signing up. Everyone gets a medal that says "Marathon." The YMCA training class that's linked to the race encourages all the people who run the half to call themselves marathoners. It drives me batty.
    It starts with not keeping score at little league games and soccer. Next thing you know we're afraid to make 5k runners feel like they did less than marathoners. Which isn't true of course. They're exactly the same thing, only one is much longer than the other.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I recall a few years ago there was a giant stink at the Baltimore Marathon where the people doing the 5k the day before the actual marathon were not given finisher's medals. The facebook page was full of rage that the 5k participants didn't get anything for finishing.

Uhh...guys... you just ran a 5k. If you are fast enough to actually race that 5k, you don't care about medals. If you are the type to care about medals, you need to try something a little harder to earn one.

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I recall a few years ago there was a giant stink at the Baltimore Marathon where the people doing the 5k the day before the actual marathon were not given finisher's medals. The facebook page was full of rage that the 5k participants didn't get anything for finishing.

Uhh...guys... you just ran a 5k. If you are fast enough to actually race that 5k, you don't care about medals. If you are the type to care about medals, you need to try something a little harder to earn one.

Well.... if you finished in the top three you probably got a medal or a trophy or a gift certificate to Applebee's or something.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

A medal? Not unless you're in the top group. I've never gotten anything but shirts or coffee cups from 5ks. Honestly, the shirts are the only reasons I enter one.

My brother talked me into doing the Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot (8 miles) this year on Thanksgiving morning. I was surprised that they were handing out medals at the end. The shirts sucked to be honest. They're cotton. Blergh!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Yeah yeah, me dumb you guys so smart. I am glad to have helped some refill their glass of superiority.

To those that were here to help not to judge I thank you kindly for your assistance and I look forward to getting my mini MARATHON on.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yeah yeah, me dumb you guys so smart. I am glad to have helped some refill their glass of superiority.

To those that were here to help not to judge I thank you kindly for your assistance and I look forward to getting my mini MARATHON on.

I don't mean to be superior or make you feel bad. Race distances are confusing if you haven't been running very long. I'm just frustrated that race organizers make it seem like all the distances are alike, when they very much aren't.

5ks are hard too and it's awesome you're doing one. I hope this leads to more races for you. And for what it's worth, a lot of very good runners would much prefer a longer race over a 5k because racing a 5k is really, really hard B)
  • WhatMeRunning
    Options

Sorry you feel slighted.

Best wishes on your mini marathon! Let us know how it goes. I love hearing race results!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

I think a lot of it boils down to the fact that a marathon is an incredibly difficult, blood/sweat/tears type of event. Those that have completed the necessary training and taken 3-6 hours to run one are fiercely proud to have done something not many have tackled. I get it - I've done marathons (yes, the 26.2 variety) before myself. Just know that sometimes we tend to be a prideful breed (ever see those 26.2 bumper stickers?) ;)

OP, back to YOUR question. You can definitely do that 5k. As it's your first race, just focus on finishing. This should not be an issue. You can definitely walk portions if you feel the need. Just try to enjoy the process! I bet you will.

I ran my first 5k years ago and found I was instantly hooked. Once you've finished that race, you have so many options - you can move up to another distance, or maybe work on improving your time. As someone that has run marathons, do you know what event I'm running this Saturday? Yup, a 5K! I've been working my butt off to improve my time and I suspect the effort of this weekend's 5K will rival some of the longer distances I've done before.

Feel free to friend request me if you need a positive friend to reach out to with more questions as you ramp up. GL!