First Marathon Prep

Options

Replies

• arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I recall a few years ago there was a giant stink at the Baltimore Marathon where the people doing the 5k the day before the actual marathon were not given finisher's medals. The facebook page was full of rage that the 5k participants didn't get anything for finishing.

Uhh...guys... you just ran a 5k. If you are fast enough to actually race that 5k, you don't care about medals. If you are the type to care about medals, you need to try something a little harder to earn one.

I just ran a Disney half marathon in January. They also had a 5k and 10k race - and everyone got medals (granted, they have different ones for different events). I've done many 5ks and 10ks and never received a medal (except the times I've placed for my age group). Maybe this is one reason people are drawn to Disney races? LOL I'm of the bilk that medals should be reserved for half, full, and ultra marathons. Maybe it's just me, but it seems there's a growing trend of folks to sign up for the bling, but not really interested in improving as runners. I'd way rather PR a 5k or 10k than get some sort of finisher's medal. JMHO
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I recall a few years ago there was a giant stink at the Baltimore Marathon where the people doing the 5k the day before the actual marathon were not given finisher's medals. The facebook page was full of rage that the 5k participants didn't get anything for finishing.

Uhh...guys... you just ran a 5k. If you are fast enough to actually race that 5k, you don't care about medals. If you are the type to care about medals, you need to try something a little harder to earn one.
    A medal? Not unless you're in the top group. I've never gotten anything but shirts or coffee cups from 5ks. Honestly, the shirts are the only reasons I enter one.

My brother talked me into doing the Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot (8 miles) this year on Thanksgiving morning. I was surprised that they were handing out medals at the end. The shirts sucked to be honest. They're cotton. Blergh!

Right - I guess I should have said you probably don't care about "finisher's medals".

And BOO on cotton race shirts. If you are planning to hand out cotton shirts, don't bother at all and save the money :)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    To those that were here to help not to judge I thank you kindly for your assistance and I look forward to getting my mini MARATHON on.

Stop calling it that. It is not a mini marathon. It is a 5k. Just call it a 5k.

You wouldn't look at a pig and say "that is a mini elephant"
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    And BOO on cotton race shirts. If you are planning to hand out cotton shirts, don't bother at all and save the money :)

Noooo I love race shirts! I never buy casual clothes for myself -- mostly just work clothes and exercise gear, so getting a cotton t-shirt is just fine by me. Bonus points for long sleeves!

I think a miniature elephant would be ADORABLE and would probably make a great pet.

Although I agree with the sentiment. FWIW, I've had non-runners tell other people I just ran a marathon when I just did a 10k or some other short race. Runners generally respect a 5k and non-runners don't know the difference, so I'm all for saying the accurate distance you're running.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

Mini marathon, mini marathon, mini marathon.

@AliciaMode - mini marathons are generally 10Km. Half marathons are just over 13 miles(21Km).

If you havent run or jogged in several years, try a couch to 5k programme. Enjoy.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Yeah yeah, me dumb you guys so smart. I am glad to have helped some refill their glass of superiority.

To those that were here to help not to judge I thank you kindly for your assistance and I look forward to getting my mini MARATHON on.
    If you think this is a tough crowd try convincing a motorcycle club that your Honda Shadow is the same thing as a Harley Davidson. "Hey guys! I bought a Honda Harley".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCysb4_-4jU
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I suppose that half marathon I ran may have actually just been an "Ultra 10k".
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

This. OP, a 5k is an accomplishment. It is not, in any way, shape or form, any kind of marathon. Find a 5k training program, do it, and be proud of yourself for running your first 5k. Come back here and brag about running your first 5k. We'll be proud of you too. But learn the terminology and be honest about what you did. We get that you initially just made a mistake, but don't continue to be wrong, because it's making you look bad.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    I have been quiet because I didn't want the OP to feel like I was saying anything negative towards them (I am not)...

But this is the second time in just a couple days that a thread was created here discussing a "marathon" that was really only a 5k.

How is it that anyone, runners or otherwise, could not understand what a marathon is? And how could they ever confuse it with a 5k? I can never recall a point, ever, where people casually referred to races of any length as "marathons".

This is very perplexing to me. I will probably regret asking. But this has really been gnawing at me.

Perplexing to me is the possibility of mutual ignorance (OP, and possibly friend) and the combined jumping into fitness events without any clue as to what they even consist of. Then again, I'm weird - I won't even go to a restaurant without asking a few questions first.

Yes! She agreed to run a marathon without knowing what it was. (Obviously, since it turned out to be a 5K).

IDK, someone ask me to do something, I ask question first and make sure I can actually do it.

On another note, Ottawa's Marathon is called: Ottawa Race Weekend. Makes a lot of sense to me!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Yeah yeah, me dumb you guys so smart. I am glad to have helped some refill their glass of superiority.

fwiw, my first thought in this thread was along the lines of marathon from non-runner in 5 months is a quick route to the hospital, I then read through and noted that you'd clarified.

From beginner to 5K is a reasonable challenge in it's own right. Deal with that challenge, and if you find that you enjoy running then build up to 10K, potentially half, then contemplate the investment in time and effort that it'll take to reach marathon distance. It's not insignificant.

When I started running it was 45 minutes three times per week. I'm now on a minimum of 90 minutes per session with my weekend sessions being in the realms of 3 hours apiece.

While some of the responses upthread are a bit utting, that's the internet for you. Responding in that way makes you look a bit petulant.

There is plenty of advice on getting to 5K in the C25K group - http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

Take a look, use the plan, see how it goes.

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

A medal? Not unless you're in the top group. I've never gotten anything but shirts or coffee cups from 5ks. Honestly, the shirts are the only reasons I enter one.

My brother talked me into doing the Dallas YMCA Turkey Trot (8 miles) this year on Thanksgiving morning. I was surprised that they were handing out medals at the end. The shirts sucked to be honest. They're cotton. Blergh!

I organize a 5/10k race that is sponsored by our larger "marathon festival" whoch takes place a different time of year. The run I put on is like a graduation for our learn to run program but a lot of other runners take part too.
    We never gave out medals. This year one of our committee members was in the learn to run program and was surprised/disappointed he wouldn't be getting a medal. We had a bunch left over from the previous "marathon festival" so ended up handing them out.
    I'm not a big medal person and don't expect them at 5ks but I couldn't believe how well received they were. It was a big thing for a lot of people. Of course, a good portion had run their first race so that may factor in.
    We will be keeping them.

(We also give then out for all distances in the "marathon festival" weekend)

Some people just like medals.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bit of a tough crowd here. The lady made an error, she doesn't need to vilified; we were all new to running once.

I would like to see those mini-elephants though. They sound bloody awesome.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »
    Bit of a tough crowd here. The lady made an error, she doesn't need to vilified; we were all new to running once.

I would like to see those mini-elephants though. They sound bloody awesome.

Here you go
    pig-grass.jpg
  • Jkowals123
    Jkowals123 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Do all you marathoners eat back calories on long run days? I am doing 1320 calories a day I didn't know if I should up that after long runs? Doing 14 miles this Saturday.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just when my headache was starting to go away, it's back again. But I like that pig.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I generally ate back only about half of what I burned on my runs. Part because I was trying to drop a couple pounds for the marathon so it'd be easier on my knees but mostly because I was too tired to cook up that many calories and just wanted to lay down
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Just when my headache was starting to go away, it's back again. But I like that pig mini-elephant.

FIFY
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Jkowals123 wrote: »
    Do all you marathoners eat back calories on long run days? I am doing 1320 calories a day I didn't know if I should up that after long runs? Doing 14 miles this Saturday.

You'll burn 1200+ calories on a run, but will only eat 1320 total... Do we really need to answer that?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

I tend to eat back at least half of them. Running 14 miles would burn about 1400 calories for me, so, yep, refueling!

Though, I'm not a marathoner...half-marathon is my longest distance right now.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

A trip to Chipotle will answer this question.