Calories Post-dog

Options
While riding my bicycle, I hit a stray dog and fell over onto the pavement. After coming to a skidding halt and being checked out at the emergency room, I discovered that I had three broken bones in my pelvis and some very sore muscles. Bicycling and pretty much anything other than walking short distances with a cane is out for a while, so I'm more sedentary than normal. But I've read that the healing process requires additional calories. Perhaps the two things balance each other out, but I suspect not.

Should I reduce calories because I'm burning fewer calories? Or should I increase calories because the healing process is burning more calories? By how much?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your run in with a dog. That has happened to me twice but with nothing broken. Just wanted to say I hope you feel better soon. Maybe eat at maintenance while you heal :)
  • Arliah
    Arliah Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you feel better soon!
    As an animal lover, I also have to ask: Is the dog okay?
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I would just switch your diary to 'sedentary' and maybe switch it to a very low loss (.5/week) or maintenance. That way you don't gain anything but you're taking it easy, so to speak? I've never heard healing takes MORE calories, but what do I know. I would think as long as you don't over-exert yourself physically, you won't slow the healing.
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    That's awful, so sorry for you! I have also heard healing takes more calories. This might be one to ask the doc, or phys therapist if you are going to see one.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Sorry you were hurt. I don't exercise, have my settings at Sedentary, .5lbs/week and eat close to what MFP gives me. Down 10lbs in 2 months. Typically, MFP is set up that you won't need to work out to lose weight, so just change your "lifestyle" to sedentary until you are back on your feet.

Oh, and the dog. Was he ok?
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    All biological processes burn calories, but if you have any fat on your body, there's plenty of fuel to burn for all of them.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Arliah wrote: »

The last I saw the dog was when my front wheel hit his ribcage. I don't know where he went after that.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    Yet another reason to not like dogs for me!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear! Heal up, rest up and don't stress too much about the calories for now. Just focus on getting well.

Prior to your accident, were you using the MFP/NEAT method or the TDEE method? If TDEE, recalculate for sedentary and eat at maintenance or a small deficit while you heal. If MFP/NEAT, just don't log the exercise you don't do.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    Arliah wrote: »

The last I saw the dog was when my front wheel hit his ribcage. I don't know where he went after that.

:'(
  • Aviva92
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

because they have accidents sometimes? so do humans.
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    TimothyFish, I do hope you get better soon, it all sounds very painful indeed. If it was me I would switch to maintenance and let the body do it's healing.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    From the Women's Sports Medicine Center patient information leaflet (includes info for men as well):

"How many calories should I be consuming since I will be inactive?
    Now is NOT the time for weight loss! When people are immobilized, they worry about gaining
    weight. However, you should NOT decrease your calorie intake because you will be inactive. In
    fact, your calorie needs are now greater than usual because your body requires energy from nutritious foods to fuel
    the healing process. You will need to consume about 15-20 calories per pound (using your current body weight). If
    your overall energy and protein needs are not met, body tissues such as muscles and ligaments will begin to break
    down. This will compromise healing and may prolong your recovery period."

Since you're a man, I would guess it would involve more than 20 calories per pound, though
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

The dog didn't have an accident; its owner did for letting it run free in the road. The owner of the dog should have been sued for this, but of course, there's no way of knowing who the negligent owner is. My father, when he taught me to drive, emphasized that NO ANIMAL is worth more than MY LIFE. If an animal is in the road, whether tamed or wild, do not swerve, do not slam on your brakes, and if you hit it, oh, well. Just last year three teenagers died from swerving to avoid a freaking raccoon on the road.

Timothy's accident was completely avoidable had the dog's owner been responsible enough to contain the dog in a fenced back yard or in the house.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

The dog didn't have an accident; its owner did for letting it run free in the road. The owner of the dog should have been sued for this, but of course, there's no way of knowing who the negligent owner is. My father, when he taught me to drive, emphasized that NO ANIMAL is worth more than MY LIFE. If an animal is in the road, whether tamed or wild, do not swerve, do not slam on your brakes, and if you hit it, oh, well. Just last year three teenagers died from swerving to avoid a freaking raccoon on the road.

Timothy's accident was completely avoidable had the dog's owner been responsible enough to contain the dog in a fenced back yard or in the house.

that's true. it's the owners fault. doesn't take away from the fact that VeryKatie's dislike of dogs is misplaced.
  • segacs
    Options
    He specified in the original post that the dog was a stray.

Sometimes it's nobody's fault. Life just happens and it sucks.

Anyway, this post isn't about whether to like or dislike dogs. It's about whether eating more calories to speed up healing is worth doing. And yes, it might be worth eating at or near maintenance for a little bit, at least at first, just to focus on letting your body heal and not stressing it further.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

Anyway, this post isn't about whether to like or dislike dogs. It's about whether eating more calories to speed up healing is worth doing. And yes, it might be worth eating at or near maintenance for a little bit, at least at first, just to focus on letting your body heal and not stressing it further.

How on earth could he have known it was a stray? That was an assumption by a nice guy who assumed that only strays would possibly be in the middle of the road trying to kill him. And yes, this is about healing and how many calories to consume. I agree with everyone who said to go into maintenance mode as it makes the most sense.
  • segacs
    Options
    No collar, maybe? I don't know.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    No collar, maybe? I don't know.

When a dog suddenly jumps in front of your bike, and you try to avoid hitting him by slamming on your brakes, and whether you hit him or not, you're ejected from your bike onto the cement breaking several bones, and the dog runs away, chances are you don't notice whether or not there was a collar on the dog.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

How on earth could he have known it was a stray? That was an assumption by a nice guy who assumed that only strays would possibly be in the middle of the road trying to kill him. And yes, this is about healing and how many calories to consume. I agree with everyone who said to go into maintenance mode as it makes the most sense.

Please, don't overthink it. As far as I'm concerned, any dog that isn't on the owner's property or under the control of the owner is a stray. I don't know if this dog has an owner who feeds it or not. I just know that the owner wasn't around when it happened.