trying to bulk

Options
hey everyone, just looking for some tips. here are my specs

I am 5'10 170 lb, looking to get up to 200 lb

I am currently eating 3500 calories a day 450 carbs / 200 protien / 100 fat 18.5% body fat
I am finding it very hard to eat that much a day

I went from 135 lb to 170 lb in 4 months, but am stuck at 170.
is that beginner gains or am I stuck? do i need to eat even more a day?

thanks!

Replies

• elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Want to gain weight....def eat more. Bulking is def not as scientific as cuttting/losing weight
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Calories are king.

if you stop gaining... then you aren't eating enough- you plateaued essentially. Your gaining calories have become your maintenance calories. Just up by another 250. If you don't see gain in 3-4 weeks- up by another 250. Wait 3-4 weeks.

Add more again if no gains.

Lather rinse repeat till desired weight is hit- or you get too sick of yourself.
  • thatsmyspot
    thatsmyspot Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i'm trying to keep my body fat from going up but i'm guessing that cant be avoided?
  • thatsmyspot
    Options
    I'm fine with that if that's how long its going to take
    most people think its crazy how much i put on so fast
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    In for pics!
  • thatsmyspot
    Options
    there ya go as you can see i need a lot of work and definition, want to add at least another 30 pounds before cutting
  • thatsmyspot
    Options
    my back and legs are nothing worth noting need tons of work.
    I do bicep/back on monday, chest/tricep on tuesday legs wednesday and shoulders thursday

my eating regimen is a lot healthier and better then it was when i started as to watch my body fat ratio
  • JoRocka
    Options
    my back and legs are nothing worth noting need tons of work.
    I do bicep/back on monday, chest/tricep on tuesday legs wednesday and shoulders thursday

my eating regimen is a lot healthier and better then it was when i started as to watch my body fat ratio

If you're eating near what you say - there should be a good deal of "unhealthy" food in there... because that's a boat load of chicken and broccoli.

Also- only one day to legs?

• thatsmyspot
    Options
    lol thats why i said healthiER. I do eat a ton of chicken, oats , fruit smoothies, yogurt, natural peanut butter. before i was eating pizza and potato chips
  • thatsmyspot
    Options
    my time frame is as long as i takes, just want to make sure i'm doing the right things, and i posted my workout already above
  • JoRocka
    Options
    You have an entire day dedicated to shoulders- me thinks you should spend more time doing legs.

just saying.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    First thing I would suggest is to get on a better lifting program. A 5x5 like Ice Cream 5x5 or Strong Lifts 5x5 would be a good idea. You need to start working harder or you'll end up not liking the way you look as you progress.

Second, you seem to have gone up faster than advisable, which is generaly 1to 2 lbs a week at most and that's if you're lifting hard. You might want to take some time to slow this bulk down and look at a recomp or even small cut right now. This depends on your goals but if you continue you will likely end up with a rather large gut by the time you hit your target.

I think I would take a couple weeks to a month and get a feel for your maintenance level. It won't hurt you to take a breather and determine where you really are for your intake needs then you can reassess where you need to take it.
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    18.5% BF and bulking, uh oh!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    at 18.5% and 170 pounds I am not sure why you are trying to get to 200 pounds….< where did you come up with 200 pounds?

I would suggest…

1. cut down to sub 14% body fat and then bulk again..

OR

2. eat at maintenance level and do a recomp ….

OR

3 get to about 180 pounds and then cut down ..

I am 5-10 186 and just finished a bulk where I went from 176 to 186 ..for me, I started losing definition at 186 and feeling bloaty….
  • draten99
    Options
    Read this

http://www.simplyshredded.com/bulking-guide.html

it's very informative and much more along the lines of what your trying to do.
    Eating "right" is vastly more important than your training regimen. However, you do need to fix the way you train. Try something like

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-routines/german-volume-training-build-more-size-6-weeks

Currently I do 6 on 1 off
    Legs/abs 1
    Back(lower)/bis
    Chest/tris
    Rest
    Legs/abs 2
    Back(upper)/bis
    Shoulder/tris

Try to include the big 3(Bench press, Deadlift, Squats)
    And try to do a little of everything for all muscle groups (machines, dumbells, barbells, cables, bodyweight)

Definitely don't add anymore to your intake you should probably do a short "cut" 4-6 weeks and then back to bulking.

My background story sounds very similar to yours. Started at 135 and got up to about 160 in 3 months then got stuck so I can relate. ultimate goal is still 200~ at about 10%

Bulking is more like a 5k less like a short sprint, your get there just take your time
  • thatsmyspot
    Options
    thanks for all your help guys! I think i will get up to 180 slowly because i still feel small and then cut for a bit , and i will definitely look into that weight lifting program