The dreaded night eating

Options
maylasia
maylasia Posts: 8 Member
ok so u eat a heathy breakfast and a light snack at lunch I literally don't get hungry in the day and I'm fine but when nighttime hits my appetite seems to go into overdrive any thoughts???????

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why is this posted 3 times?
  • maylasia
    maylasia Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have no idea I only posted once
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging your day, to include your late night appetite.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Save up your calories for your night time eating. It's ok to eat at night.
  • krisfleming3910
    Options
    I had the same issue now I eat around 630/7 at nite so that way I can go to bed not hungry :-D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat more during the day ….????
  • RMedina723
    RMedina723 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is around 6pm I have a major sweet tooth and although I might have a few calories to spare, I really need to NOT give in! Any advice?
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is around 6pm I have a major sweet tooth and although I might have a few calories to spare, I really need to NOT give in! Any advice?

Sure. Decide NOT to give in. When you want to reach your goals badly enough, the decision becomes easy.
  • mazkat5
    mazkat5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I find night eating is often boredom related. When your having a craving try downing a glass of water go for a walk, do situps or leg exercises or start a night project that uses your hands like a jigsaw puzzle or reading a book, or better yet right in a journal telling yourself how stoked you are that you didn't give into craving.
  • neahemiller
    Options
    This is a really good topic.
    There are days that I feel so good about eating healthy all day, and then night falls...lol...and I absolutely agree that's it's boredom related.

I actually made a background on my cell phone that says, "You're not hungry, just bored!" LOL

• j9_j9
    j9_j9 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am really bad about a late sweet tooth...fruit helps a lot!
  • MickeyCastello
    Options
    Don't fight the snacking, accommodate it. I have a snack between 8:30 and 9:30 every night. Just put your night snack into your diary first, and then put the daily food in. This way snacking doesn't bust the day for you.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    It's all mental..sometimes we just want to eat something so that we can go to bed feeling satisfied. Once you break that habit, you will be fine. If you are actually really hungry then you can eat wheat bread, a serving of fruit, or tofu & this will help you to feel guilt free. I have the same problem most days; once I realized that I am not really hungry just greedy out of habit, I down some water and I go to bed feeling fine...BREAK THE HABIT OF NIGHT SNACKING! You will feel more in control!
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this. I just want something at night. Anything will do. I almost NEED food late at night. It is a deeply ingrained, well, more than habit. I blame my father; when I was growing up he always had a nightly snack, and since I was his baby girl, I was in on it. From the time I was 3 to 18, every evening, this was our ritual.

Sooo. . .I always plan for an evening snack and make sure it is something that will last and then I try to avoid the kitchen as much as possible. These days I make a big travel mug cup of decaf Joe, put in just enough cream or creamer, then dump in a SF Torani syrup in some amazing flavor and sip on it until I go to bed. It curbs the worst of the cravings.
  • BassChick42
    Options
    Thanks for asking this question because it's the issue I struggle with most. I'm glad to read all the answers and advice.
  • BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Normally I want to eat at night from boredom. I usually want something crunchy or cheesy. So here are my go to snacks
    1. Mini babybel cheese or weight watchers string cheese
    2. Kim's Magic Pop. Only 10 calories and super crunchy. I love it. I get it off of Amazon by the case. Usually snack on 3 at night. I like the original flavor but they have other favors too.
  • scookbey
    scookbey Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Don't fight the snacking, accommodate it. I have a snack between 8:30 and 9:30 every night. Just put your night snack into your diary first, and then put the daily food in. This way snacking doesn't bust the day for you.

This is a really great Idea!

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    maylasia wrote: »
    ok so u eat a heathy breakfast and a light snack at lunch I literally don't get hungry in the day and I'm fine but when nighttime hits my appetite seems to go into overdrive any thoughts???????

Yep. I think you should eat a more sustaining lunch. Then eat a dinner to fill the rest of your calories

What is a healthy breakfast? If its sub 500 cals then of course you will be starving.

to me a light lunch is still 400cal+

Smash a good dinner with fats, protein and carbs with a few glasses of cold water and see how you go
  • MickeyCastello
    MickeyCastello Posts: 269
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Another trick I just remembered. Try eating each meal a little later if you can. I eat breakfast at 9:00 AM, lunch at 1:00 PM and dinner at 6:00 pm. I like to pack dinner with a lot of protein, which helps me feel full longer.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

^This.

I'm a night snacker too. It's just how my body works. I never feel satisfied until I've had something sweet in the evenings.

Before, I used to eat TONS of snack food, chocolate, cookies, cakes, entire cartons of ice cream... heck, if I didn't have anything to satisfy that sweet tooth, sometimes I'd go so far as to mix up a batch of cookie dough and eat it raw. I was probably eating thousands of calories of that stuff.

In order to stick to this, I made two major changes:

1. I build an evening snack into my day and pre-log it. Usually it's something like berries, followed by some chocolate. But it could be anything. The point is, I pre-plan it, and I get to look forward to it all day. It helps me anticipate it and enjoy it a lot more, especially since I get to eat it guilt free. Sometimes I'll play a little mental game with myself as to how late I can go before eating it. 'Cause once I eat it, I close my diary and I'm done.

2. I committed to quality over quantity. Instead of an entire box (!) of cheap sugary cookies, I eat one square of dark chocolate. But I only buy really good quality dark chocolate. I spend more on it, but because I'm eating it so slowly, it actually costs me less overall. I've just decided that my calories are too few and too precious to be wasted on mediocre chocolate.