I Can't Meet My Daily Nutrients Correctly

Options
2»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    You're using Quick Add calories so often that there's no way you're actually getting an accurate picture of your nutrition.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    How can you even track your macros properly if you're using Quick Add calories on a daily basis? Logging should not be lazy, at least not on a daily basis. If you want to properly track and follow your macros, you need to find the items you're eating and log them accordingly.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    It just takes some practice. Try pre-logging your meals to see what foods work well together and which ones don't.

This.... Plan and pre log
  • coleycanolli
    Options
    I had trouble with this at first but there are tons of things you can eat with little of no fat that are packed with protein. Like for example I keep beef jerky sticks or turkey jerky in my bag, only 2g of fat, 3g of carbs and 21g of protein! If you're not really a meat eater protein powder could be your best friend, I use oats and whey vanilla protein powder with some milk maybe a banana and peanut butter as an after the gym shake and it pretty much meets my macros in a heart beat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    on this topic, I find I'm consistently low on potassium. Other than decaf coffee, what are other good sources of potassium?

Bananas.

But seriously, don't worry if MFP's diary shows you to be low on potassium. Since food labelling laws don't require potassium to be listed, most MFP database entries are created by users based on food labels and will show 0 potassium even when a food contains it.

The only time to worry about a potassium deficit is if you have a blood test and your doctor says you're deficient.

This.

However, if you use the good entries for whole foods (the non-asterisk entries for fruits and veggies and starches like potatoes), it will show potassium. (Since I started doing that I'm generally way over.) If you log a lot of packaged food (including veggies in packages), it's going to not include that and underreport it.

But I wouldn't overreact but just get whatever it is checked next time you are at a dr or if you want take a multi-vitamin.

I was logging iron for a while and it always shows me low (which seems weird given how I eat), but I've never shown low on a blood test. I also am not going to take a supplement unless prescribed by my dr since my mother has hemochromatosis. So following these things can be interesting but you can't overreact to them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    You're using Quick Add calories so often that there's no way you're actually getting an accurate picture of your nutrition.

Key point.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is a good thread on protein sources
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    As others have said, plan and pre-log and you'll get the hang of it. To get adequate protein aim to have a protein source at every meal. I would look into protein powders or bars as supplementation if you aren't particularly fond of meat so you aren't choking down chicken and eggs all day long. :)
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    It just takes some practice. Try pre-logging your meals to see what foods work well together and which ones don't.

This.... Plan and pre log
    this and that, plan plan plan.....time and effort wins

• jjejjtu
    jjejjtu Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    on this topic, I find I'm consistently low on potassium. Other than decaf coffee, what are other good sources of potassium?

Avocados. They are amazingly high in potassium and fiber, and check this out the see the other nutrients:

http://skipthepie.org/fruits-and-fruit-juices/avocados-raw-all-commercial-varieties/