Worse or most ignorant thing said to you from a total stranger...

Options

Replies

• mastickles
    mastickles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have six children, and most of the rude/ignorant comments I've gotten relate to that, rather than my weight. Once a guy asked me "Are all of those kids yours?" When I answered affirmatively, he asked "Don't you know how that happens yet?" I was feeling a bit devilish so I quipped "I guess not - I was sure we'd have had eight by now." He turned red and walked away.
  • kismea
    kismea Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Picking just one? well lemme see there was the time post disability (pre disability I was a runner, thin, in shape, gym rat. Disability hit, a bunch of bedrest and someone else cooking for me I gained weight). I was out one day in my wheelchair and a stranger came up and said "If you weren't fat you wouldn't need that wheelchair". Uh yea. no. You need to feckoff.
    Or the other day I was at the gym and some random guy chased me down hollering "HELLO, HI, GOOD AFTERNOON!" as he pulled even with me I glanced at him and he was like HEY! YOU! WHAT DID YOU DO!? to my disability. I shot him a look and said "I'd like to NOT discuss that".

far too many people think they have a right to comment on our bodies. It riles me every damn time. lol

• Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I happen to be an atheist. I don't tend to bring it up, because it just creates arguments that go nowhere and create tension for everyone, but just like anything else, people find out through the grapevine, or directly ask.

You should hear some of the horrible things people feel completely justified in saying to me. Beyond the normal "you're going to burn in hell forever" one that I get almost any time the topic comes up, I've heard:

You're worse than a murderer
    I'd trust a rapist around my kids before an atheist (heard that one twice btw, I think people must be repeating something they heard somewhere)
    You're ruining the country.
    You're destroying our children.
    You're the reason diseases are out of control.
    Your kind are responsible for all war (I could have sworn Mel Gibson said it was the Jews . ..)
    etc etc. If there is a global or social malady, I've been blamed for it. I'm shockingly effective considering I rolled out of bed today at 11:30, had an ice cream sandwich and chain watched three episodes of Orange is the New Black. Imagine what I could get done if I set an alarm clock.
  • runningagainstmyself
    Options
    dawnna76 wrote: »
    years back i was outside walking and some boys moo'ed at me. I was overweight but not grossly overweight and hell i was working on it. i was so embarrassed, i still have issues walking/running in public.

I've had that happen, too. What the people didn't know is that I was in the middle of a 10km run. I should have freaking challenged them to finish a 10km run alongside me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Some young punks hanging out at the transit station murmured "moo" under their breath as I passed. So I turned around and introduced myself to each of them, sharing my name and asking for theirs.

Silly boys only looked at the outside. They had no idea that I had experience, and from that experience, no fear of them.
  • runningagainstmyself
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    That would probably be the psychiatrist I saw when I was about 21 and anorexic. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Well, it's not like you can't stand to lose some weight."

Awesome.

I'm amazed that the so-called psychiatrist didn't wind up with a malpractice suit. That is one of the worst things you can say to someone afflicted with an ED.
  • MelWick524
    MelWick524 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    When I was first dating this dude, he introduced me to his friend. The friend put his arm around my boyfriend, patted his chest, and said, "It's ok, man. I understand. Fat girls need lovin' too." *kitten*, and that was at my skinniest! lol
  • mastickles
    mastickles Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    When I said I was a sahm, she looked at me with disgust. Asked if it was on purpose or did my husband was making me. I said it was a choice we made together. Then she went on about how she planned on setting a better example for her children by working and not being lazy.

"Lazy"? Yeah, that fits under "ignorant". My wife's been a SAHM since we got married (our first child was conceived barely a month after we got married), and there's no doubt in my mind she's worked at least as hard as me for most of the last 25 years.
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    The worst came from over the Internet - a stranger made a comment to the effect that the only reason I was mad about feminist issues must be because I was angry that no one would rape me (I was 17 and significantly heavier than I am now.)
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Velum_cado wrote: »
    That would probably be the psychiatrist I saw when I was about 21 and anorexic. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Well, it's not like you can't stand to lose some weight."

Awesome.

Oh this is so creepy. I had a psychiatrist say the same thing to me! I told him I was losing weight and he looked me up and down and said the EXACT same words to me.
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    the worst thing ever said to me was when, as a normal weight 16 yr old, my grandfather compared me to Joe Bugner (a large UK boxer) at the dinner table, on Christmas Day in front of about a dozen relatives. I could have cried for hours but had to suck it up and pretend it didn't hurt at all. probabaly nothing to do with all the later weight gain but I remember it still.
  • shawnfxp
    shawnfxp Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I happen to be an atheist. I don't tend to bring it up, because it just creates arguments that go nowhere and create tension for everyone, but just like anything else, people find out through the grapevine, or directly ask.

Any proclomations that you deserve to be crusified and disemboweled? Got that one once, but to be fair the person did have a penchant for the dramatic.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options

You should hear some of the horrible things people feel completely justified in saying to me. Beyond the normal "you're going to burn in hell forever" one that I get almost any time the topic comes up, I've heard:

I'd trust a rapist around my kids before an atheist (heard that one twice btw, I think people must be repeating something they heard somewhere)
    Your kind are responsible for all war (I could have sworn Mel Gibson said it was the Jews . ..)
    etc etc. If there is a global or social malady, I've been blamed for it. I'm shockingly effective considering I rolled out of bed today at 11:30, had an ice cream sandwich and chain watched three episodes of Orange is the New Black. Imagine what I could get done if I set an alarm clock.

As a Christian, nothing makes me more upset then other "Christians" who feel the need to put others in their place. We are to speak truth and love.... Most of the time the love gets left out. I tend to get the other side from atheists, I get called an idiot, sheeple, ignorant, ect... I respect everyone regardless of what they believe or don't believe. I'm sorry that has happened to you.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options

Oh yeah. I'm an atheist too. I think I've heard them all. For a while, I lived in the (almost) south and I did things on purpose to incite the locals, with bumper stickers on my car and so forth. I'd get love notes, church flyers on my windshield. My favorite though was one woman who actually followed me into a grocery store just to tell me that "god loves you." LOL. Now I live in the north and I never hear those things, as there are more of us around.

The strangest thing ever said to me wasn't so much ignorant or rude, it was just strange. I was working my part time job through nursing school - I worked at a laundromat - and I was just wiping down the equipment, minding my own business, when this guy came up to me and said "You're just the hardest working white girl I've ever seen!" Erm, yeah, okay. (he was white; I'm white also - I didn't get it)

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    As far as comments about my weight or my looks - I can't even count them. I've had so many nasty comments thrown my way I'm just sort of numb to them. From being told I was a pork chop when I was like 13 to just last month when a friend of my sister's compared me to a monster, I thought at a certain age the comments would stop, but I guess they don't.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm another one with a child with autism and some people seem to think that what will really help when he's having a meltdown is for them to give me their top parenting tips, or occasionally if they do ask and find out he's got autism say, 'oh so what's his special ability? Is he like Rainman' !

Also taken ill at swimming pool recently with my toddler. I also have grey/ white hair since 30 (now 44). When you are already feeling rubbish being called grandma by the paramedic really makes things better!
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options

As a Christian, nothing makes me more upset then other "Christians" who feel the need to put others in their place. We are to speak truth and love.... Most of the time the love gets left out. I tend to get the other side from atheists, I get called an idiot, sheeple, ignorant, ect... I respect everyone regardless of what they believe or don't believe. I'm sorry that has happened to you.

Haha, oh I don't lose a lot of sleep over it. That's funny though, I think everyone gets "sheeple." I've been accused of going along with the "fad" more than once ^_^
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    When I was 8 or 9 my family went on vacation to a little hotel in New Hampshire. While we were checking in, it somehow came up that we are Jewish. Later the owner's wife came up to me and asked if she could make a wish on me. I said ok and she put her hands on my head and, I guess, made a wish. She didn't say it out loud. I really hope it came true!

Jews = Genies?

How in the world did you do that and keep a straight face!!! That has got to be right up there with strangers touching pregnant bellies! So weird!

The sad thing is, at the time I was young enough (plus we grew up way in the middle of nowhere so, ignorant enough of my heritage to have spent at least a few years believing I was an Indian from the Jewish tribe) to think maybe she was right and I had actual wish-granting powers. So I took the whole thing very seriously.

• sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    When I was 8 or 9 my family went on vacation to a little hotel in New Hampshire. While we were checking in, it somehow came up that we are Jewish. Later the owner's wife came up to me and asked if she could make a wish on me. I said ok and she put her hands on my head and, I guess, made a wish. She didn't say it out loud. I really hope it came true!

Jews = Genies?

I'm guessing it was more insulting than that. She was likely lying about her intent. She was saving your soul (you're welcome.)

In Christian tradition the laying on of hands is the conferring of the holy spirit. From Acts 8:14-17:

14 When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to Samaria. 15 When they arrived, they prayed for the new believers there that they might receive the Holy Spirit, 16 because the Holy Spirit had not yet come on any of them; they had simply been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 17 Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I can't believe how much random hate and idiocy there is in the world. I'm almost happy to say the worst I was ever called was "moonhead." Honestly, my face was pretty effing big at the time.