Maintenance is possible long term!

Options
13»

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    wow I cant believe you eat 2,000 calories. Well you are 45 and very active. I am 61 and so so active, not as active as you but go to the gym 3-4 times a week doing zumba and walking. I can only eat around 1500 calories, if I go over 1600 I start gaining. Probably age, I have kept my weight off 4 years. You are amazing with the stats out there and everyone loses it but no one seems to keep it off. You are an inspiration.
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you and to well written advice for others. Sounds as though it was written by me except for the runner part - lol. Lost over 80 pounds, 44 here & maintenance mode ON almost 2 1/2 years. This is a lifestyle change that simply involves learning how to balance daily life with daily exercise and healthy eating for the best health. The best part of maintenance is if the scale dips down too low, more healthy food needs to be consumed (licks lips) and if the scale goes up a bit, recognize there are many fluctuations involved (re-check) the next day or pull back the reigns a bit and/or increase physical activity :)
  • fitphoenix
    fitphoenix Posts: 9,673 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Maintenance is the part of this journey that I have yet to fully figure out. I get the theory, but I keep messing it up in practice, lol. Concrete examples are really helpful to me, so I loved all your details, as well as your ready admission that it's what worked for you and my mileage may vary. Congrats on your awesome loss and even more awesome maintenance! ^_^
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement? Have you joined the National Weight Control Registry? If not, give it some consideration.
    • I have one day a week, typically Saturday, where I don't log calories and I eat what I want. I call it my ME day and for many years this has helped me stay on track.
    • One of my biggest motto's in life is everything in moderation.

I'm glad taking one day without logging works for you. I suspect you can do it because of the next item on your list: doing everything in moderation, including eating on days you don't log. Some people could easily eat a pound's worth of extra calories on a non-logging day; they should probably stick to logging until they have learned moderation.
  • tandala86
    Options
    1961dublin wrote: »
    Congratulations!! And thanks for the advice, but my problem is I cant decide where maintenance is. When 68KGS I wanted to be 66kgs. When I was 66 kgs I wanted I to 65kgs, and so on.....I am now 64kgs and wanting to be 62kgs. My BMI is 24. I had a good luck in the mirror today....my arms are skinny , my waiste is small , my hips and legs are acceptable but I still see fat around my belly. I am trying to tone up in the gym but its not working in the right places.....I take size 10/12 (UK sizes). Im trying harder and harder every week to loose weight and have gone from 5;2 to 4;3 to ADF and now 2 back to back fasts twice a week ie mon/tue and fri/sat. I just wish I could be happy at some weight, but I never seem to get to that point.....

This really is pretty common. It makes you realize, not all foods are created equal. Not all exercise programs are created equal! Calories are important, so are protein, fats and carbs. More importantly than this, though, is what kinds you are eating. As well as when and the combination of these foods! The real problem people come across is that everyone thinks there's a magic formula. There are sure some great formulas out there, but each person is different! Listen to your body. Educate yourself. Focus on how to increase your mitochondria and energy, and try to think less of the weight. The mirror will come! Hope, inspiration, and finding deep value in what you do are key to changing your life and confidence.

Long term maintenance is merely a strong will to adhere to your lifestyle change. Most people do it because they find motivation in what they DO, not what they SEE. Dig deep!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I love this post because you are very clearly sharing what worked for you and not saying everyone should do what you did. Job well done all the way around! :)

I have been maintaining for over a year now and feel fantastic, and I can relate to a lot of what you shared.