I think I've plateaued

Options

Replies

• RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    excellent answer Stacimarie... :) kudos...
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    Water weight at TOM is caused by hormones (even if your period is early, you still have the hormones present that cause the water weight). Now because it's early you may not have as much water weight, but you will have at least some (given that it's been your bodies standard). The fact that you can feel the bloat also indicates you have water weight. The final few pounds are going to come off slower than the first pounds you lost did. Have you been taking measurements as well? Are you seeing any results on those?

Yes. My pant size has gone from a size 11 to size 7 and I have a flat stomach now. I have some before and after photos too.
    I just feel so stressed. I'm trying to get to 125 before this month is up but i'm unsure if I can do it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    That's not what binge means so some reading (myself including) took your statement to mean you ate a lot more than 300 extra.

A few thoughts: At your current size, you don't burn a lot of calories. Its just not mathematically possible. That means you can't aim for a big deficit either. Even if you're very active and factoring in cardio, you're probably burning no more than 2000-2400 per day and maybe not that much. I do not mean this as an attack, just a statement of the way the body works. A smaller body uses less energy. What that means is your deficit is going to be small - probably 250-500 per day. And you're estimating the best you can do to eating at a school cafeteria and having limited control over food choices. Put those factors together, and weight loss will be slow & gradual. Last but not least, you really have to be patient because water weight will easily mask your efforts. But over time, as in a month or two, you should see gradual results.

So 1) take some satisfaction in what you've accomplished so far and 2) keep working on it, and trust the science. If in another 1-2 months you're not seeing any progress then you may need to reevaluate what you're doing. By somehow improving accuracy in what you log in or out.
    SammyBlz1 wrote: »
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    One binge day can put you at maintenance regardless of how little you ate during the other 6 days. So if you have them often, you are not in a deficit.

I'm confused by what you are saying about this. I binged by eating junk but I was probably only 300 calories over my goal. So about 1500. It had been about two or three weeks since I even had a cheat meal and I used to eat like that constantly at home without any weight gain.

^^Yes, patience. Trust me, it isn't easy when you plateau. You haven't made the point yet and maybe it isn't an issue, but you didn't mention you are super hungry. Believe it or not, you are in a better position than some of us when we plateau AND feel like we are starving. So, when you consider that perspective, and understand that it could be worse, maybe that will help you to be more patient.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    That's not what binge means so some reading (myself including) took your statement to mean you ate a lot more than 300 extra.

A few thoughts: At your current size, you don't burn a lot of calories. Its just not mathematically possible. That means you can't aim for a big deficit either. Even if you're very active and factoring in cardio, you're probably burning no more than 2000-2400 per day and maybe not that much. I do not mean this as an attack, just a statement of the way the body works. A smaller body uses less energy. What that means is your deficit is going to be small - probably 250-500 per day. And you're estimating the best you can do to eating at a school cafeteria and having limited control over food choices. Put those factors together, and weight loss will be slow & gradual. Last but not least, you really have to be patient because water weight will easily mask your efforts. But over time, as in a month or two, you should see gradual results.

So 1) take some satisfaction in what you've accomplished so far and 2) keep working on it, and trust the science. If in another 1-2 months you're not seeing any progress then you may need to reevaluate what you're doing. By somehow improving accuracy in what you log in or out.
    One binge day can put you at maintenance regardless of how little you ate during the other 6 days. So if you have them often, you are not in a deficit.

I'm confused by what you are saying about this. I binged by eating junk but I was probably only 300 calories over my goal. So about 1500. It had been about two or three weeks since I even had a cheat meal and I used to eat like that constantly at home without any weight gain.

Thank you so much. This actually really helped me and I appreciate it. :) I just get so frustrated because I watch all my friends eat for days and anything they want and they burn it off so easily when I eat as clean as I possibly can and its taking forever to lose weight. I really appreciate your response. :)
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

^^Yes, patience. Trust me, it isn't easy when you plateau. You haven't made the point yet and maybe it isn't an issue, but you didn't mention you are super hungry. Believe it or not, you are in a better position than some of us when we plateau AND feel like we are starving. So, when you consider that perspective, and understand that it could be worse, maybe that will help you to be more patient.

I've definitely been hungrier lately. I'm not sure if I should increase my calories a little more or not.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Water weight at TOM is caused by hormones (even if your period is early, you still have the hormones present that cause the water weight). Now because it's early you may not have as much water weight, but you will have at least some (given that it's been your bodies standard). The fact that you can feel the bloat also indicates you have water weight. The final few pounds are going to come off slower than the first pounds you lost did. Have you been taking measurements as well? Are you seeing any results on those?

Yes. My pant size has gone from a size 11 to size 7 and I have a flat stomach now. I have some before and after photos too.
    I just feel so stressed. I'm trying to get to 125 before this month is up but i'm unsure if I can do it.

Try this: Sit still, close your eyes, and inhale as much as you can and hold it while counting in your head to 3. Now exhale slowly for at least 5 seconds.

Alright, now hopefully you have become a bit more relaxed. It sounds like your problem is mostly anxiety. It is not realistic for someone your size to lose 8 lbs. in the next 2.5 weeks. Don't expect something unreasonable and you won't be dissappointed when it doesn't work out. Set a reasonable goal (0.5 lbs./week) instead.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    1. 300 calories over your reduced calorie # is NOT binging.
    2. Quit stressing, you already know that during your TOM you will retain or gain weight, it will come off next week
    3. don't eat less than 1200 calories
    4. take 2 plates when you get your plate so you don't have to back for another and get the servings you need/want
    5. when you say you go to the gym 2x per day are you doing like 30 minutes in the am and 30 minutes in the pm?
    6. keep eating well and keep exercising and you will see results, you don't need to rush that last 10 pounds
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    hxqc7hnmav7z.jpg
    @SueInAz‌ this is what i usually do for weight training
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

Try this: Sit still, close your eyes, and inhale as much as you can and hold it while counting in your head to 3. Now exhale slowly for at least 5 seconds.

Alright, now hopefully you have become a bit more relaxed. It sounds like your problem is mostly anxiety. It is not realistic for someone your size to lose 8 lbs. in the next 2.5 weeks. Don't expect something unreasonable and you won't be dissappointed when it doesn't work out. Set a reasonable goal (0.5 lbs./week) instead.

Okay I'll try that. It's just very stressful to me. I'm scared I will gain weight. :/
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    It kind of sounds like you are over-stressing your body. Not just with school, but by eating too little and working out twice a day (1200 calories and two-a-days does not allow you to properly fuel yourself). That may have contributed to changing your period cycle.

You've come a long way. Take pride in that. Getting over that last hump always takes the longest. Keep working and it will come.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    1. 300 calories over your reduced calorie # is NOT binging.
    2. Quit stressing, you already know that during your TOM you will retain or gain weight, it will come off next week
    3. don't eat less than 1200 calories
    4. take 2 plates when you get your plate so you don't have to back for another and get the servings you need/want
    5. when you say you go to the gym 2x per day are you doing like 30 minutes in the am and 30 minutes in the pm?
    6. keep eating well and keep exercising and you will see results, you don't need to rush that last 10 pounds

I do 35-45 minutes of strength exercise in the morning and about an hour worth of cardio in the evening.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    It kind of sounds like you are over-stressing your body. Not just with school, but by eating too little and working out twice a day (1200 calories and two-a-days does not allow you to properly fuel yourself). That may have contributed to changing your period cycle.

You've come a long way. Take pride in that. Getting over that last hump always takes the longest. Keep working and it will come.

Should I up my calories?
    Thank you. :) I try to but I'm just nervous I'll gain it back.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    She's lost 40 pounds in four months that's fast - there's no way she's in a plateau now - it hasn't even been long enough.

Her body is slowing down the weight loss, that's all. That's normal and natural. You can't sustain that sort of loss rate long term and expect to be healthy. Make sure you're eating enough and relax on the exercise.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Okay I'll try that. It's just very stressful to me. I'm scared I will gain weight. :/

You definitely seem anxious. Try to calm down and relax. When it seems like you are working hard and still getting nowhere, stop and take a deep breath.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

You definitely seem anxious. Try to calm down and relax. When it seems like you are working hard and still getting nowhere, stop and take a deep breath.
    I will. It just bothers me to know that I'm not where I wanted to be. I'm a very goal oriented person. I started birth control my senior year and gained a bunch of weight, I'm not sure if its because of it. It just really really sucked.

• SammyBlz1
    Options
    She's lost 40 pounds in four months that's fast - there's no way she's in a plateau now - it hasn't even been long enough.

Her body is slowing down the weight loss, that's all. That's normal and natural. You can't sustain that sort of loss rate long term and expect to be healthy. Make sure you're eating enough and relax on the exercise.

I will try to. If I relax on the exercise will it cause me to gain weight or anything? That makes me a little nervous.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

I will try to. If I relax on the exercise will it cause me to gain weight or anything? That makes me a little nervous.

No, it won't.

You'll do okay, it's just that with so few pounds left to lose, it's going to slow down quite a bit - and that's okay. You've done a really good job - try to celebrate that and let the rest come off at a slower pace.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

No, it won't.

You'll do okay, it's just that with so few pounds left to lose, it's going to slow down quite a bit - and that's okay. You've done a really good job - try to celebrate that and let the rest come off at a slower pace.

Thank you. :)
    so i shouldn't up my calories?
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

No, it won't.

If you put your weight loss goal to .5 pounds a week - what calorie count does MFP give you?
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

No, it won't.

If you put your weight loss goal to .5 pounds a week - what calorie count does MFP give you?

which to me is a lot.