I think I've plateaued

Options

Replies

• SammyBlz1
    Options
    SammyBlz1 wrote: »
    I'm still at my 195 calorie mark for the day because I've been busy in labs and such. I'm about to eat a 210 calorie chicken breast that has spinach and a little bit of cheese in it.
    So that will get me to 395 for the day. :/
    I've walked quite a bit today and did my morning strength workout. I still have to do my cardio today and I am not going to give up my workouts. I love to and it relaxes me.
    So what do I do? I burn probably 3x the amount i eat half the time.

Guys?

395 calories for the day isn't enough.
    Should i go find more to eat somehow? What am i allowed to eat? This is getting confusing

• SammyBlz1
    Options
    deaniac83 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    segacs wrote: »
    Here's the solution to your plateu: EAT MORE. It will reset your body's metabolism. One reason you may be "plateuing" is that your body has slowed down your metabolism, gone into survival mode, and is storing everything it can.

I really don't know why people keep posting this advice. It's clearly not true.

"Survival mode" is a myth. You're not starving yourself unless you are REALLY starving. Not a term to use lightly when you look around the world and see people who are actually starving.

"Resetting your metabolism" is a myth. There's no ctrl-alt-del reboot switch on a body's metabolism.
    There's nothing "clear" about what you just posted. Survival mode and starvation mode are real. It doesn't mean your body magically finds calories where there are none, but our bodies are adaptive machines. When it doesn't get enough food for a sustained period of time, it absolutely tries to save energy wherever it can: it feels more sluggish, metabolism slows down, and you burn energy at a lower rate during regular activities (measured exercise notwithstanding). Someone at peak metabolism burns more calories standing, walking, sitting and sleeping than someone in starvation mode.

As for resetting metabolism, that's real too. No it's not like restarting your laptop. It's more like slowly readjusting and retraining the body to expect more food - hence it takes two weeks of maintenance level eating and not one binge session.

That posting by Segacs is very clear, and spot on.

Starvation mode is a myth as to the common dieter. To be in starvation mode, you must be emaciated and have lost a certain percentage of body fat and muscle. People who are fat or overweight, of normal weight, don't get starvation mode. Have you studied the Minnesota Starvation Experiment?

In the normal world of dieting, people telling others to stop starving themselves simply means to eat more. It in no way relates to starvation mode.

Resetting metabolism is a myth too. If your metabolism stops, you're dead. If it slows down, there is a medical issue that needs attention. However, it does not need to be "reset".

The only requirement to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. That's it. Everything else, such as diet type, food restriction, exercise, drinking tea teas, standing on your head while eating jelly beans, is preference only.
    Which has A LOT to do with your metabolism. Your metabolism doesn't have to "stop" in order for it to slow down. Your metabolism adapts to the input your body is getting as well the output you're performing. Yes, metabolism does slow down when the body doesn't get enough fuel. You can call that a medical issue, and if it is, it is caused by not eating enough.

As for starvation mode, it's absolutely real, including in fat people. We're not talking about famine-type starvation. We're talking about a big enough slowdown in metabolism that you begin to see a diminished effort on weight loss from dieting.

Again, that's not because things now suddenly take fewer calories to perform than they did before, but there's a rule of physics (since everyone here thinks they are a science expert and I actually DID study physics) that input energy is ALWAYS greater than output energy. That's because of energy loss. I can exert 100 calories to do something that only requires 60 calories to do. There's a 40 calorie loss. But that "loss" is a gain when you're trying to lose weight. I may be able to exert only 80 calories and still do that work (let's say it's opening 10 cans of jars) since it only takes 60 calories to do, but I just lost out on using that extra 20 calories.

Another way metabolism slowdown reduces energy expenditure is by making one feel lethargic and simply doing less. It may not always be noticeable in your day-to-day life but it's still happening.
    If you google starvation mode and metabolism decrease most things say its a myth and your metabolism may decrease at most by 100 calories.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    t53qhb11wfus.jpg
  • ricardo510diaz
    ricardo510diaz Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have a question about your strength workout: is this the order that you do the exercises? And, if so, is there a reason why you leg press before you squat? A squat is a better exercise on all levels than a leg press; it demands much more energy from your body (ie burns more calories during* and after the exercise), activates more muscles in the body, will build a nicer set of legs, glutes, and hams, and should not be secondary to the leg press. A leg press is a good accessory exercise, but you're pre-exhausting your legs and kind of robbing yourself of the benefits of a squat if you ask me.
    I had no idea about that! I'll keep that in mind at the gym tomorrow

Yeah, it was just something I noticed in that photo. I would suggest not to do 11 sets with squats though, it would be better to use a more challenging weight that you feel comfortable with for less sets, maybe like 3-5 sets of 10 or 4 sets of 8, then do your leg pressing and it could get you better results. You'll probably leg press less afterwords, but the squat is the king of lower body/leg exercises and one of the best exercises you can do in a gym so focusing on squats will be beneficial.

On topic, however, you're saying that the total number of calories that you're eating a day is 395?
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Looks like you need to eat more. And probably look into professional help if you aren't eating more than 500 calories.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    I have a question about your strength workout: is this the order that you do the exercises? And, if so, is there a reason why you leg press before you squat? A squat is a better exercise on all levels than a leg press; it demands much more energy from your body (ie burns more calories during* and after the exercise), activates more muscles in the body, will build a nicer set of legs, glutes, and hams, and should not be secondary to the leg press. A leg press is a good accessory exercise, but you're pre-exhausting your legs and kind of robbing yourself of the benefits of a squat if you ask me.
    I had no idea about that! I'll keep that in mind at the gym tomorrow

Yeah, it was just something I noticed in that photo. I would suggest not to do 11 sets with squats though, it would be better to use a more challenging weight that you feel comfortable with for less sets, maybe like 3-5 sets of 10 or 4 sets of 8, then do your leg pressing and it could get you better results. You'll probably leg press less afterwords, but the squat is the king of lower body/leg exercises and one of the best exercises you can do in a gym so focusing on squats will be beneficial.

On topic, however, you're saying that the total number of calories that you're eating a day is 395?

So far today. I just didn't have the time for more. I measure everything correctly. I just eat really healthy low calorie foods. :( im actually eating that chicken i mentioned right now.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    Looks like you need to eat more. And probably look into professional help if you aren't eating more than 500 calories.
    I just never have the time to eat. I can go to the papa johns and get something to eat but i get full easily
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    729z8jej52ft.jpg
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    I bought some baked chicken things from the papa johns
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Here's the solution to your plateu: EAT MORE. It will reset your body's metabolism. One reason you may be "plateuing" is that your body has slowed down your metabolism, gone into survival mode, and is storing everything it can.

I really don't know why people keep posting this advice. It's clearly not true.

"Survival mode" is a myth. You're not starving yourself unless you are REALLY starving. Not a term to use lightly when you look around the world and see people who are actually starving.

"Resetting your metabolism" is a myth. There's no ctrl-alt-del reboot switch on a body's metabolism.
    There's nothing "clear" about what you just posted. Survival mode and starvation mode are real. It doesn't mean your body magically finds calories where there are none, but our bodies are adaptive machines. When it doesn't get enough food for a sustained period of time, it absolutely tries to save energy wherever it can: it feels more sluggish, metabolism slows down, and you burn energy at a lower rate during regular activities (measured exercise notwithstanding). Someone at peak metabolism burns more calories standing, walking, sitting and sleeping than someone in starvation mode.

As for resetting metabolism, that's real too. No it's not like restarting your laptop. It's more like slowly readjusting and retraining the body to expect more food - hence it takes two weeks of maintenance level eating and not one binge session.

That posting by Segacs is very clear, and spot on.

Starvation mode is a myth as to the common dieter. To be in starvation mode, you must be emaciated and have lost a certain percentage of body fat and muscle. People who are fat or overweight, of normal weight, don't get starvation mode. Have you studied the Minnesota Starvation Experiment?

In the normal world of dieting, people telling others to stop starving themselves simply means to eat more. It in no way relates to starvation mode.

Resetting metabolism is a myth too. If your metabolism stops, you're dead. If it slows down, there is a medical issue that needs attention. However, it does not need to be "reset".

The only requirement to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn. That's it. Everything else, such as diet type, food restriction, exercise, drinking tea teas, standing on your head while eating jelly beans, is preference only.
    Which has A LOT to do with your metabolism. Your metabolism doesn't have to "stop" in order for it to slow down. Your metabolism adapts to the input your body is getting as well the output you're performing. Yes, metabolism does slow down when the body doesn't get enough fuel. You can call that a medical issue, and if it is, it is caused by not eating enough.

As for starvation mode, it's absolutely real, including in fat people. We're not talking about famine-type starvation. We're talking about a big enough slowdown in metabolism that you begin to see a diminished effect on weight loss from dieting.

Again, that's not because things now suddenly take fewer calories to perform than they did before, but there's a rule of physics (since everyone here thinks they are a science expert and I actually DID study physics) that input energy is ALWAYS greater than output energy. That's because of energy loss. I can exert 100 calories to do something that only requires 60 calories to do. There's a 40 calorie loss. But that "loss" is a gain when you're trying to lose weight. I may be able to exert only 80 calories and still do that work (let's say it's opening 10 cans of jars) since it only takes 60 calories to do, but I just lost out on using that extra 20 calories.

Another way metabolism slowdown reduces energy expenditure is by making one feel lethargic and simply doing less. It may not always be noticeable in your day-to-day life but it's still happening.
    Okay, I'll bite.

Site peer reviewed studies for your claims, please.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll bite.

Okay, I'll bite.

Cite is spelled with a c.

(Hey, it's not as though this thread hasn't already devolved into pettiness.)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I just never have the time to eat. I can go to the papa johns and get something to eat but i get full easily
    This is a bit confusing. You have time to post every single thing you eat and your detailed exercise routine, but not enough time to eat or get something decent to eat. You are at the point where you are over-focusing on each meal.

I completely sympathize with your plateau -- I have had them on and off over the past year -- but you also need to recognize there are more important things in life than the last 10 lbs. There will always be girls who are thinner than you are, but also some who are heavier -- that is not what defines who they are or who you are. You say that you want to do this so you can have a healthy body, but obsessing over the 395 calories you had for the day and whether you can or should eat any more for the day, or what you should choose is not healthy emotionally or mentally.

I'm in a similar position to you -- I'm a college instructor, so I have a similar schedule to yours. I work out, try to eat healthy, and log my food, but if I devoted as much mental and emotional energy as you are currently focusing on food and weight, I wouldn't have time to grade papers, prepare lesson plans, or deal with my family responsibilities. You are spending more time and energy on obsessing over each meal than some of my students spend planning a research paper. Like one of the other posters, perhaps you should just take a deep breath and figure out what your priorities are in life.
  • ladymuaythai
    ladymuaythai Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. My diet is clean and no carb + I do Muay Thai 3-4 days a week but I always "plateau" everytime I cut weight. It's persistence. U think that you've plateaued but if ur doing everything right U need to just stick with it and wait for the lbs to come off. Annoying but true lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll bite.

Okay, I'll bite.

Cite is spelled with a c.

(Hey, it's not as though this thread hasn't already devolved into pettiness.)

Ha, ha, thank you! :D

I'm okay with pettiness, but I am not okay with inaccurate information.
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm still at my 195 calorie mark for the day because I've been busy in labs and such. I'm about to eat a 210 calorie chicken breast that has spinach and a little bit of cheese in it.
    I've walked quite a bit today and did my morning strength workout. I still have to do my cardio today and I am not going to give up my workouts. I love to and it relaxes me.

Guys?

Should i go find more to eat somehow? What am i allowed to eat? This is getting confusing
    You can eat anything you want as long as it fits into your calories/macros. Eat it and log it.

You have time to post on these forums, so you have time to eat.

Plus, and perhaps I missed it in your posts, but I don't think I've seen you write about being proud of the weight you've lost so far. Everything seems to be focused on the last 10 lbs that you want to lose. You really need to step back and pat yourself on the back for what you've accomplished.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options

Guys?

You can eat anything you want as long as it fits into your calories/macros. Eat it and log it.

You have time to post on these forums, so you have time to eat.

Plus, and perhaps I missed it in your posts, but I don't think I've seen you write about being proud of the weight you've lost so far. Everything seems to be focused on the last 10 lbs that you want to lose. You really need to step back and pat yourself on the back for what you've accomplished.

Im trying to maintain a very healthy diet. I feel bad because i ate teddy grahams tonight and a few pieces of chocolate. :( i want to keep a low carb diet. ive never ate so bad in one week. Though I did cardio and burned 551 calories tonight. Dunno how many calories i burn with strength training but i do that in the mornings.
    Im proud of what I accomplished but I want to be able to accomplish more and it frustrates me i havent made my goal.
    I ate 1,000 calories today.
  • SammyBlz1
    Options
    I know how you feel. My diet is clean and no carb + I do Muay Thai 3-4 days a week but I always "plateau" everytime I cut weight. It's persistence. U think that you've plateaued but if ur doing everything right U need to just stick with it and wait for the lbs to come off. Annoying but true lol
    It gets very frustrating. How many calories are you allowed to eat per day?

• SammyBlz1
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    This is a bit confusing. You have time to post every single thing you eat and your detailed exercise routine, but not enough time to eat or get something decent to eat. You are at the point where you are over-focusing on each meal.

I completely sympathize with your plateau -- I have had them on and off over the past year -- but you also need to recognize there are more important things in life than the last 10 lbs. There will always be girls who are thinner than you are, but also some who are heavier -- that is not what defines who they are or who you are. You say that you want to do this so you can have a healthy body, but obsessing over the 395 calories you had for the day and whether you can or should eat any more for the day, or what you should choose is not healthy emotionally or mentally.

I'm in a similar position to you -- I'm a college instructor, so I have a similar schedule to yours. I work out, try to eat healthy, and log my food, but if I devoted as much mental and emotional energy as you are currently focusing on food and weight, I wouldn't have time to grade papers, prepare lesson plans, or deal with my family responsibilities. You are spending more time and energy on obsessing over each meal than some of my students spend planning a research paper. Like one of the other posters, perhaps you should just take a deep breath and figure out what your priorities are in life.

When posting earlier i was cooking dinner and before that I was in class.

I definitely understand my priorities. But one of them right now is how i feel about my body. I know I need to eat more than 395 calories. I was asking what to eat to help this. I don't want to eat junk food to makeup for całories.

I want to make my goal very badly.