Should men and women compete against each other in athletics?

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    cliffodom1 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Women and men are not the same. PC talks about how women are great atheletes but women...no correction the best women are only as good as good 9th grade boys. I mean look at women's world track and field records. This is the best performance of all time by a woman and in a large state like Texas or Florida you find these times run regularly by the best 9th grade boys. 800 meters1:50, high jump 6'10" and on and on.

9th grade? Is that like 14yo?

PC?

If the women's world record holder in the 800 meters ran in the Texas state 5A boys championship and ran her world record time she would have gotten third in 2014. And that was not a world record run for these boys. It was fast but not even world class for boys.

Sorry - not sure how that answers my question, and I have no idea what 5A is.

Also, you are referring just to track and field (or maybe just middle distance) I assume and not to all sports.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    UConn men and UConn women basketball players play a combined game on First Night (the start of the regular season celebrations). The teams are evenly divided.

• shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Physically speaking an elite athlete that is a woman will not be as strong as a male elite athlete just on the sheer basis of differences in how we are built. This is not to say that my 5'1 self is not capable of tossing around some of the guys in my class, I'm built kinda like a dwarf and they are skinny toothpicks. At the same time tho there are guys that confronted with them in a dark alley I'd kick em in the knees and run.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Women and men are not the same. PC talks about how women are great atheletes but women...no correction the best women are only as good as good 9th grade boys. I mean look at women's world track and field records. This is the best performance of all time by a woman and in a large state like Texas or Florida you find these times run regularly by the best 9th grade boys. 800 meters1:50, high jump 6'10" and on and on.

PC?

If the women's world record holder in the 800 meters ran in the Texas state 5A boys championship and ran her world record time she would have gotten third in 2014. And that was not a world record run for these boys. It was fast but not even world class for boys.

Im sorry. I am talkng about 15 or 16 year old boys. 5A refers to the size of the schools in Texas. PC means politically correct. That is when you don't speak your mind so that you don't offend someone.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

PC?

Im sorry. I am talkng about 15 or 16 year old boys. 5A refers to the size of the schools in Texas. PC means politically correct. That is when you don't speak your mind so that you don't offend someone.

It depends on what your mind is thinking. Not everyone is "holding back" when they say things with others in mind.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Billiards maybe. Curling, yep. The others, not so much.
  • tuckerrj
    Options
    Oh, and bowling, too.
  • tuckerrj
    Options
    Archery & shooting sports, too.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited February 2015
    Options

PC?

I know what PC means in that context - was not clear you meant that in your post.

So...its politically correct to talk about how women are great athletes but they are not if you speak your mind?

I am assuming you are only referring to middle distance running with your post. There are many many sports where women will/can 'beat' 15 and 16 year old boys, let alone ones limited to a state v the best women in the country.
  • cliffodom1
    Options
    [quote="Sarauk2sf;31287699

...its politically correct to talk about how women are great athletes but they are not if you speak your mind?

I am assuming you are only referring to middle distance running with your post. There are many many sports where women will/can 'beat' 15 and 16 year old boys, let alone ones limited to a state v the best women in the country.

There are great women athletes but they are physically not as big, strong or fast as men. It is all relative. A great boys high school team is not going to be able to compete with an NBA team and the same with women at the top level. They will only be able to compete with men at about the mid high school level. There are no sports where women will have an advantage.
  • cliffodom1
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    I think there is something to be said for a skilled sport versus and a less skilled sport.

golf- more skill- less physical
    - I suspect a woman could play more evenly.

3 day eventing- or any of the equine sports
    - women compete more equally.

Sports that require more physical interaction- no. They won't and cant' compete at high levels.

Not to say they can't do the things being asked of them- but the reality is a trained man men will always be harder stronger faster than a trained woman- unless skill is the leading factor.

But hell- even with motorcycle racing- it's lead by men- very skill driven- few women can keep up- it's a physical sport- but it's skill driven- and you just don't see women competing the same way.

Harsh reality- but there it is.

Golf not so much. women tee of from the women's tees. The LPGA driving medalist averaged 275 yards but to find a man that averaged 275 yards you have to go down around the 200th. It is all relative.

• Sarauk2sf
    edited February 2015
    Options

...its politically correct to talk about how women are great athletes but they are not if you speak your mind?

There are great women athletes but they are physically not as big, strong or fast as men. It is all relative. A great boys high school team is not going to be able to compete with an NBA team and the same with women at the top level. They will only be able to compete with men at about the mid high school level. There are no sports where women will have an advantage.

Elite level women will ALWAYS lose to 15 - 16 year old non elite level boys in all sports? That is effectively what you were saying. Are you no longer saying that?

Also, your comment is not in line with your prior comment re what PC peeps would say.

Edited to fix messed up quotes (or at least try to).
  • zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Put a female in the NBA or NFL, and it'll be a bloodbath.

At other sports it makes more sense.

At mind sports I don't see why not even though most people at either extreme of the bell curve intellectually will be men. That's consistent with all the social data we see:

More men achieve highly.....start huge businesses and create wealth in immense amounts, but more men are also in prison, unemployed not by choice, violent offenders, drug abusers, etc. etc.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    The difference between men and women in sport is exactly the same as all natural athletes vs steroid using athletes. The vast difference in testosterone levels is absolutely not fair in either instance.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    The difference between men and women in sport is exactly the same as all natural athletes vs steroid using athletes. The vast difference in testosterone levels is absolutely not fair in either instance.

Exactly.

In short:

Testosterone---> Effects on muscle myfiber size

Also, testosterone ----> erythropoiesis ---> much higher red blood cell concentration in blood.
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    EDIT since I apparently quoted the wrong post...

Serena has played co-ed matches and gotten whooped. I don't recall what ranking the male player was, but Serena and Venus both played matches against a man and got whooped...
    I just looked it up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Sexes_(tennis)

A fourth event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[20] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams, aged 17 and 16 respectively, had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked below 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park.[21] Braasch first took on Venus and beat her 6–2. He then played Serena and won 6–1.[22] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance." He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun."[23]

Granted, that was 15+ years ago, but the Williams sisters were at the top of Women's tennis at the time as well, and got beat handily by a 200 something ranked man.

Regarding golf, A couple of my colleagues prefer watching women's golf to men's because the game the pro women play is much more similar to their own, club level amateur play where it is much more difficult to relate to the male pros who routinely hit monster drives giving them short approaches into the green that aren't realistic for most players.

• Sarauk2sf
    edited February 2015
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »

PC?

I agree in this case. The elite female track athletes would not be competitive against the better club male athletes. Similarly, a

Elite level women will ALWAYS lose to 15 - 16 year old non elite level boys in all sports? That is effectively what you were saying. Are you no longer saying that?

Also, your comment is not in line with your prior comment re what PC peeps would say.

Edited to fix messed up quotes (or at least try to).

No, I think what he's saying is that the elite female track and field athletes would not be competitive in a state boys championship. This is true, because biology doesn't care about sexual politics.

He did not make that clear in his 'PC' comment/blanket statement - I asked a couple of times and he did not clarify. I have no idea about track and field, so could not comment. I know it is not the case in all sports - even physical ones. For example, I know of a couple of elite level female powerlifters who have better lifts than 15 - 16 boys who compete at the state level (and in fact in this case I am actually comparing to that age at the same elite level).

Blanket statements are usually wrong.

ETA: to make it clear, I do not think women are in any way competitive against men (looking at the same standard) in most sports. I was just trying to clarify that whether the poster meant in all sports or not (his posts were not clear on a number of points) - a blanket statement that elite level women in general are not competitive at a state level against 15 year old boys is not correct.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    In most sports, men just have an insurmountable size advantage.

All other things being equal, size usually wins.

Running? Every stride a taller male takes eats up more ground. A shorter woman has to take x number more strides to cover the she ground.

Martial arts? The larger man has a reach advantage, and is probably more able to throw his lighter female opponent than vice versa.

There are probably some sports where it could work though. Tennis? Golf?

Tennis no. Golf no. Men in tennis hit harder and are quicker. In golf, men hit the ball father and can get to the green sooner.

Actually seeded female tennis serves for the last season were pretty much on a par speed wise with men. It's the sport with the biggest overlap in performance between genders.