So are potatoes bad or no?

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I don't know. I had some allegedly "roasted" potatoes once that were soggy and soaked in some kind of oil that was most certainly past its prime. Those were some bad potatoes.

Tonight is Baked Potato Night for dinner at my house. I bake a whole 5 pound bag of oversized spuds and put out steamed broccoli, bacon, fake-n, shredded cheese, plain greek yogurt, etc. The whole family loves it and it's easy to adapt portions and toppings for each person's nutrition goals.
  • GilBrennan
    Options
    I can haz invite?
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    One word...SPUDGUN!! B)
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm loving the responses!!! LOL

Potatoes are not bad, unless you have an allergy to them. If that's the case, I feel sorry for you!!

I wouldn't make them your diet, but nothing wrong with a potato in moderation. I avoid mashed potatoes (most of the time) because they are always loaded with hidden ingredients that don't always make me feel good (dairy...). I've actually added hash browns as a part of my breakfast because it's fun to have a little bit of carbs with my eggs & veggies.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes nearly daily (see diary--yep, that's 2 potatoes for today and one yesterday, lol). Haven't killed me yet ;) ...

Oh, and the high potassium, vitamins, fiber, and carbs are good for me, too. All that nutrition, plus potatoes are very budget friendly, too (5lbs for $1 at the store this week).
  • mscheftg
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    They are awesome because you can prepare them in so many ways and taste great.

True!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    White potatoes are relatively calorie dense and present a greater glycemic load than most other vegetables. This means they are more likely to cause an insulin spike than, say, an equal amount of green beans. Does this mean they are bad? No, but a diet in which white potatoes are the prime vegetable consumed would, indeed, be bad. About the only "food" which is inherently bad in any amount is trans-fat. Otherwise, the consumption of foods should represent a balanced diet rich in nutrients of many types. A good, well-presented and reliable source of information is NutritionSource from Harvard's School of Public Health.
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Potatoes have gotten a bad rap. By themselves they are not that high in calories and are healthy. It's not until you fry them or cover them with sour cream, bacon, cheese, and the kitchen sink that they are less than healthy.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    GilBrennan wrote: »
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I'm an Irish-American, and feel like I'm being disparaged by this thread.

it's not that blight worthy.

I'm not sure if the ACLU agrees (I'm on hold with their litigation department right now)
  • cotewalter
    cotewalter Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love a good baked sweet tater with salsa on it!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    Potatoes have gotten a bad rap. By themselves they are not that high in calories and are healthy. It's not until you fry them or cover them with sour cream, bacon, cheese, and the kitchen sink that they are less than healthy.

I feel like you've been doing it wrong . . .

;)
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Hehe, I see what you did there ;) I married an Irish-American (see username, lol), hence I am contractually obligated to have a favorable bias toward potatoes. Potatoes--best carb ever! Everyone else is wrong (according to my wedding vows).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

Hehe, I see what you did there ;) I married an Irish-American (see username, lol), hence I am contractually obligated to have a favorable bias toward potatoes. Potatoes--best carb ever! Everyone else is wrong (according to my wedding vows).

I understand your position-- I'm Italian-by-marriage so I'm forced to take a favorable position on pasta. ;)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

I understand your position-- I'm Italian-by-marriage so I'm forced to take a favorable position on pasta. ;)

My husband is part Polish, which means I have to like pasta and potatoes TOGETHER. With cheese. Because, Pierogi.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    myth. No one food is unhealthy when looking at a whole diet.

just this...
  • mscheftg
    Options
    mmmm pierogi... best I had was in Poland... go figure!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    A potato is a potato. If it fits into your calorie and macro goals for the day - enjoy your potato. :)
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    People with diabetes are often advised to avoid potatoes because they have a high glycemic index and can make your blood sugar spike. I think they don't really know if the high glycemic index is hard on your body, or not, if you don't have diabetes, or pre-diabetes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It's a whole food...

Also, awesome source of potassium. It's also a solid source of fiber...pretty good source of protein for a plant; a very solid source of vitamin c, iron, b6, and magnesium.

Potatoes are only "bad" if carbs are the devil.