So are potatoes bad or no?

Options
I've always heard that potatoes aren't that healthy, is it true or is it a myth?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    myth. No one food is unhealthy when looking at a whole diet.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes at least 3 or 4 times a week in some form, sometimes as a side, sometimes as a snack, main course, whatever. I love spuds. Nothing unhealthy about them in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are just as healthy as any other food. Its what you put on it that may be unhealthy..
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    There are foods that fit into your nutrition goals and foods that don't. If potatoes fit into your calorie goals, help you hit your nutrition needs, and you don't suffer any ill effects from eating them, then great! Keep them in your diet if you want. If not then consider swapping them for something else.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are perfectly healthy. They have lots of potassium and other vitamins and minerals. Deep frying them in oil makes them less so. They are, however, high in carbohydrates and more calorie dense than other vegetables so they should be eaten in moderation on a low calorie diet.
  • roxielu0422
    roxielu0422 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    unless your fry them every day in oil, no. They are good for you.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Myth. They are healthy (and more significantly/precisely, fit well into a healthy diet). Among other things, they have a good amount of potassium. They can just have lots of calories if you don't watch portion size (or add lots of butter or oil). I eat them a couple times a week and love them; for me they are quite satisfying too.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    As others have said and will keep saying, if it fits in your calorie/macro goals for the day there is nothing unhealthy about potatoes or whatever you put on them.
  • GilBrennan
    Options
    I've always heard that potatoes aren't that healthy, is it true or is it a myth?
    True, terrible.

They're a nightshade, eat too many and it will kill you. A salad from their greens is quite delightful though.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    nothing is bad when taken in moderation....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    GilBrennan wrote: »
    True, terrible.

They're a nightshade, eat too many and it will kill you. A salad from their greens is quite delightful though.

How many potatoes (or other nightshades (I love my tomatoes!)) would it take to kill me? For reference, I'm 32 and female if it helps your calculations.

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    True, terrible.

Assume he isn't serious and disregard ^^

• GilBrennan
    Options
    True, terrible.

How many potatoes (or other nightshades (I love my tomatoes!)) would it take to kill me? For reference, I'm 32 and female if it helps your calculations.

1, applied forcefully, naturally.

832, applied orally.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    If they're rotting, yes. Otherwise, no. Good source of potassium.
  • BBruhn
    BBruhn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    GilBrennan, please. 'Some people may think nightshade vegetables are harmful because they’re confusing them with “deadly nightshade'
    Read more at http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/nutrition/4-myths-about-nightshade-vegetables#eCwLMARoH4XeF0Sc.99"
  • GilBrennan
    Options
    BBruhn wrote: »
    GilBrennan, please. 'Some people may think nightshade vegetables are harmful because they’re confusing them with “deadly nightshade'
    Read more at http://www.besthealthmag.ca/best-eats/nutrition/4-myths-about-nightshade-vegetables#eCwLMARoH4XeF0Sc.99"

Go please yourself.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mcfzwc245z1rjgcy1o1_400_zpsf4c8b52e.gif

They're calorie dense for a vegetable but despite the commonly circulated idea to the contrary they have nutrients:

t6shk5jucll8.png

lxtm9fwwwuz0.png

kkro8tjqs2nw.png
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm an Irish-American, and feel like I'm being disparaged by this thread.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I eat a small one sometimes. Sometimes baked, sometimes I get the mandolin out to slice or julienne the potato and bake some chips or fries.

They are only bad for me when/if I do a massive "loaded" potato on a buffet without regard to my daily calories LOL. I very rarely go to buffets and at home I actually just use plain yogurt, chopped onions and jalapenos...sometimes some cheese - Not really very many calories and some pretty healthy stuff! If it's a sweet potato, I like a lightly poached egg on it too....yolk is yummy

• GilBrennan
    Options
    bw_conway wrote: »
    I'm an Irish-American, and feel like I'm being disparaged by this thread.

it's not that blight worthy.