What's so bad about bananas?

Options
I always enjoyed my banana's then there goes that blinking don't eat food and there is banana. Does the good out weight the bad for this fruit. My husband eats two a day and it really helps his legs.

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Bananas are fine. Some people fear the sugar content in bananas. In most cases I think that's silly.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Some of those ads on the side of the page are crap. That banana add is one of them

Get yo' banana on!

P.S. Bananas are great for you, but technically they're on the botttom of the food chain when it comes to fruit that give the most nutritional punch. But they're definately not bad.
  • FatStoatLondon
    FatStoatLondon Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I always enjoyed my banana's then there goes that blinking don't eat food and there is banana. Does the good out weight the bad for this fruit. My husband eats two a day and it really helps his legs.

LOL! Sorry, I had a mental image of your husband strapping bananas to his legs.

As long as you plan for it (so that it doesn't put you over your daily calorie allowance), you can eat it. Bananas are not evil.
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I have a banana nearly everyday - usually for breakfast (on my cereal, with yogurt etc) or if I have calories left over after exercise. It's slow release energy food (so I've heard) and keeps me going until lunch time :smile:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    God, I eat so many of them I think I'm going to turn into one! Bananas are awesome, it's a fact.....
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a great food. In some diabetics the higher GI value raises blood glucose a little quickly (but not in all, I'm diabetic and I can eat them just fine). If you're not diabetic or pre-diabetic, bananas are awesome.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
  • mhuch110
    mhuch110 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love bananas but I can only eat them when they are green. A few brown spots and I'm done. :)
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    My old boss used to call bananas "nature's Mars bar" (I know). I personally don't like them but if I did, they would be my pre- or post-workout snack of choice. As far as I'm aware, they are fine as long as you make use of the sugar hit, i.e. before exercise, or to replenish you after exercise. They're not so good if you eat them and then sit on your *kitten* and do nothing (although I guess that's the case with any food!).
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Some of those ads on the side of the page are crap.
    THIS!
    Unfortunately, there's a whole lot of crap ads popping up here, but hey, its free, so I guess they need to sell advertisements even if its for things that don't fit the websites goals.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    This seems like a silly fear. If its a natural food, no problem. If its packaged, be wary.
  • jordanreddick
    jordanreddick Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love bananas but I can only eat them when they are green. A few brown spots and I'm done. :)
    THIS
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a banana before the gym in the morning because I thought it was healthy, I found a piece of bread is less calories and less sugar and gives me the same energy.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a banana before the gym in the morning because I thought it was healthy, I found a piece of bread is less calories and less sugar and gives me the same energy.

But it's also less Potassium, less Vitamin C, B6, Manganese, and probably fiber =)
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Great read thanks
  • Robin1109
    Robin1109 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I feel like people saying bananas are bad now is akin to people saying how terrible avocado was for you in the 90s. That is, until some scientist stepped up and explained the benefit of good, natural fats and sugars.

If it's nature grown, it's generally okay by me. I have half a banana every morning in my oatmeal. I'll snack on an additional one here and there if I'm really achy or sore. They really help me.
  • sandrajune72
    Options
    I LOVE bananas! :heart: I have one pretty much everyday & they haven't hindered my weight loss. I say enjoy your bananas!! :drinker:
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    awesome recovery food
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana almost every day. Yummy and filling! :bigsmile:
  • verbalriot
    Options
    I have a banana everyday...nothing wrong with it! That potassium helps muscle soreness too.