It's all about the shoes.

And 40oz of water
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    Belle8312 wrote: »
    Hey everyone!
    So my ultimate fitness goal, besides losing weight, is to run the Ventura Marathon in September of this year. I have never ran a marathon, and the furthest I have ran at one time is 6 miles.

I haven't started training yet, but am wondering if someone who hasn't ran in quite some time (over 2 years), is from now until September enough time to train? While I did consider myself a runner at one time, I know since I haven't ran in so long that I am starting from scratch and a beginning runner. Would love some guidance and some help meeting my ultimate fitness goal! :smiley:

Totally possible.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/body/marathon-challenge.html

Did you not read the thread?
    Yeah, it's possible but those with years and thousands of miles under their belt are saying NOT to do it

Yes I read it. It's definitely possible. I'm no ultra marathoner but I do have a few marathons under my belt and averaged about 20-30 miles a week for about 10 years.

It's just running, for *kitten*'s sake. Go as slow or as fast as you feel comfortable. Stop if things hurt or become really uncomfortable. No one has told her she needs to win the thing.

Take a deep breath. I am encouraging her to run not forcing her into a death march.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    So my ultimate fitness goal, besides losing weight, is to run the Ventura Marathon in September of this year. I have never ran a marathon, and the furthest I have ran at one time is 6 miles.

I haven't started training yet, but am wondering if someone who hasn't ran in quite some time (over 2 years), is from now until September enough time to train? While I did consider myself a runner at one time, I know since I haven't ran in so long that I am starting from scratch and a beginning runner. Would love some guidance and some help meeting my ultimate fitness goal! :smiley:

Totally possible.

Yeah, it's possible but those with years and thousands of miles under their belt are saying NOT to do it

Yes I read it. It's definitely possible. I'm no ultra marathoner but I do have a few marathons under my belt and averaged about 20-30 miles a week for about 10 years.

It's just running, for *kitten*'s sake. Go as slow or as fast as you feel comfortable. Stop if things hurt or become really uncomfortable. No one has told her she needs to win the thing.

Take a deep breath. I am encouraging her to run not forcing her into a death march.

A 5.5 hour marathon, advocated by you and your PBS video, is a deathmarch. And nobody said she needs to "win the thing," but rather have a positive and injury-free experience before, during, and after. You can say it's easy, but you've been running for 10 years. OP has not. You gotta read the context before you give cocked up advice.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Totally possible.

A 5.5 hour marathon, advocated by you and your PBS video, is a deathmarch. And nobody said she needs to "win the thing," but rather have a positive and injury-free experience before, during, and after. You can say it's easy, but you've been running for 10 years. OP has not. You gotta read the context before you give cocked up advice.

I never said it was going to be easy. Breathe, laddie. It will be _ok_. It really will. She is a grown woman. I'm sure she is capable of avoiding death marches and hyperbole.
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Totally possible.

I never said it was going to be easy. Breathe, laddie. It will be _ok_. It really will. She is a grown woman. I'm sure she is capable of avoiding death marches and hyperbole.

Anyway, it's not like anyone here listen to advices.
  • Belle8312
    Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Interesting you guys mention a death march, since I actually have done one in New Mexico...when I was active duty military. It kicked my *kitten*, but I was so unbelievably moved to tears afterwards, it made it worth it.
    Anyways, I did not disappear, like someone said earlier, have just been reading everything and thinking about what everyone has said.

And let me respond to a few people's comments:

Yes, it is an ultimate fitness goal, while there is no rush, I just wanted to have a goal in mind so I stick to it and meet it.

I never said that I was running a marathon to lose weight, I simply said that my ultimate fitness goal, besides losing weight, was to run a marathon.

I appreciate all the advice (or arguments) people have given on here.
    I don't think this year will be the year for it, maybe next spring. :smiley:
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Belle I'm glad to see you are still here after this got derailed so badly. I recommend you join the Long Distance Runner group, you will get more useful advice and less sniping back and forth.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

I gotta agree here. Not to be a speed snob or anything (I am far from it) but if you are *targeting* 5.5 hours, you are probably not actually ready for this.

Where do I draw a line to say you are ready? I have no idea, but 5.5 hours seems too much.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    First let me say that is a great goal to have. I think it would be a good goal to set for maybe a marathon held in January 2016.

Please forgive me as this will include a back story but I will make a point :smiley:

I will give you my experience as I just finished my first marathon at the end of January. I have had run 1/2s before but had gain a ton of weight and really start to hate running. I decided to get my weight back under control so I started working with a trainer. As I progressed and the weight started to come off and I started to get stronger I started to run again. I actually found my love of running very quickly again. I started with my trainer in Oct 2013. In January 2014 we talked about a fitness goal. I said I wanted to run a 1/2 marathon but instead this time I wanted to set a goal time for finishing (which I had not done before) my only goal in the past was to just finish and not get picked up by the bus. The 1/2 I planned to run was in April 2014. I set a goal of finishing in 2:45 which I was able to beat by 15 minutes.

After that race I felt really great and decided I wanted to run another 1/2 which I did in June (mid) which I again PR at 2:20. During this time I was working with my trainer, adding cross training (spin class) and upping my runs and doing sprint and hill work. In August 2014 I decided that I wanted to run a full marathon after a lot of talking with my trainer. I originally set my first marathon for Nov 2014 but I wanted to run it with a friend of mine and she was doing her full in January 2015 so I bumped my full to then and ran a 1/2 in Nov 2014. Again another PR of 2:08. I used that 1/2 and one other 1/2 one as part of my training leading up to my full. I may have taken awhile longer than most to get trained up for my full but I wanted to do it safely and without injury.

I finished my marathon strong and enjoyed every minute of it. Really...I looked at my office race photos and I was smiling the entire course. My goal was to finish that race but my secondary goal was to finish in 4:45. I actually finished 4:42 which was just a few minutes under the goal of 4:45.

I didn't use the training as a weight loss plan. I think that was just coming because of the other things I was doing. I also had to be very mindful what I was eating after my long training runs while I was in the weight loss zone. As you can see this was a long time in the making for me but was so worth it. I am already looking for my next marathon to run.

Good luck!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Interesting you guys mention a death march, since I actually have done one in New Mexico...when I was active duty military. It kicked my *kitten*, but I was so unbelievably moved to tears afterwards, it made it worth it.
    Anyways, I did not disappear, like someone said earlier, have just been reading everything and thinking about what everyone has said.

And let me respond to a few people's comments:

Yes, it is an ultimate fitness goal, while there is no rush, I just wanted to have a goal in mind so I stick to it and meet it.

I never said that I was running a marathon to lose weight, I simply said that my ultimate fitness goal, besides losing weight, was to run a marathon.

I appreciate all the advice (or arguments) people have given on here.
    I don't think this year will be the year for it, maybe next spring. :smiley:

Smart decision!! I think you can tell yourself you're in training NOW for it. That doesn't mean you necessarily launch into a formal training program, but you are on the path to develop as a runner and eventually meet that goal. ;)

Best of luck to you - I think you're really making a good call here and I believe, you'll have a better experience for it.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    Brolympus wrote: »
    I used to be a distance runner, so I will give you some pointers:

-You will be tempted to train too often. DO NOT DO THIS. You need to ramp up your mileage very gradually. Running distance is very hard on the joints and overused injuries are extremely common. You will not be running the full 26 mile distance ever during training. More than likely, you will be trying hit 15 miles at a face pace twice a week before your race. Running extreme distances is very hard on the body, and you can't sustain it forever. If this is your first marathon, plan on taking a couple breaks during the race to stretch and get hydrated so you don't injure anything or get salt-locked.

-Getting your running form correct + buying the right shoes will make or break your training. It will be the difference between getting overuse injuries 3 months in or continuing your training with minimal problems. There are tons of resources available to show you how to run at with low shock and least effort, watch lots of videos and emulate them. Most people have really bad running form, due to lack of calf strength, and slam their heel down first or run flat footed. Make sure your knee is not locked-out when your foot touches down, and your toe hits the ground slightly before the rest of your foot, this help absorb a lot of shock. It will almost feel like you are trying to run on tiptoes, your goal is to touch the ground as lightly as possible. It also helps to concentrate on pushing yourself forward instead of bouncing up as you run.

-Any distances you run over 5 miles, invest in some kind of water bladder (40oz+; more is better) to take with you on the run. They make minimalist bladders that are just a bag with straps and drinking hose for pretty cheap (no giant backpack or anything like that).

I do not endorse distance running (anything over 3 miles, or more than 10 miles per week) as sustainable lifestyle. There are a ton of studies showing that distance runners have shorter lifespans than other athletes because it is so hard on the body. It literally kills you: http://active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health

I sustained permanent nagging knee injuries from distance running by the time I was 22 after 6 years of doing races. Doing one marathon to say you did it is totally fine! But definitely consider weight-training and moderate cardio a few times per week as your sustainable option after you complete your marathon.

The vast majority of this is utter crap.

Running more than 10 miles per week is completely sustainable. You may or may not need water on 5+ mile runs. And I don't know where he came up with running 15 miles at a fast pace twice a week.

But you do most likely need good shoes and to build your base gradually.

If you haven't run in two years and never ran more than 6 miles I would not recommend trying to run a marathon this year. Spend this year building your base. Maybe shoot for a marathon middle to late next year...... maybe.

Being able to run 6 miles is in no way any kind of indicator of whether or not you can run a marathon. Regardless of what someone who has never even run a half marathon may tell you.

If your goal is just to drag your nearly lifeless body across the finish line and lay on the couch for the next week recovering then sure.... go right on ahead. If you want to have a good experience and finish feeling strong then I'd wait a while and put in more miles first.

Agree with the poster who said that "the vast majority of this is utter crap". I've been a runner for 16 years. Get a good training plan Hal Higdon is a running icon and has free marathon training plans for all levels. He has a plan for non-runners its called "Novice Supreme" its 30 weeks. Even that plan assumes you can already run 3 miles.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    runner359 wrote: »

-You will be tempted to train too often. DO NOT DO THIS. You need to ramp up your mileage very gradually. Running distance is very hard on the joints and overused injuries are extremely common. You will not be running the full 26 mile distance ever during training. More than likely, you will be trying hit 15 miles at a face pace twice a week before your race. Running extreme distances is very hard on the body, and you can't sustain it forever. If this is your first marathon, plan on taking a couple breaks during the race to stretch and get hydrated so you don't injure anything or get salt-locked.

-Getting your running form correct + buying the right shoes will make or break your training. It will be the difference between getting overuse injuries 3 months in or continuing your training with minimal problems. There are tons of resources available to show you how to run at with low shock and least effort, watch lots of videos and emulate them. Most people have really bad running form, due to lack of calf strength, and slam their heel down first or run flat footed. Make sure your knee is not locked-out when your foot touches down, and your toe hits the ground slightly before the rest of your foot, this help absorb a lot of shock. It will almost feel like you are trying to run on tiptoes, your goal is to touch the ground as lightly as possible. It also helps to concentrate on pushing yourself forward instead of bouncing up as you run.

-Any distances you run over 5 miles, invest in some kind of water bladder (40oz+; more is better) to take with you on the run. They make minimalist bladders that are just a bag with straps and drinking hose for pretty cheap (no giant backpack or anything like that).

I do not endorse distance running (anything over 3 miles, or more than 10 miles per week) as sustainable lifestyle. There are a ton of studies showing that distance runners have shorter lifespans than other athletes because it is so hard on the body. It literally kills you: http://active.com/health/articles/why-too-much-running-is-bad-for-your-health

I sustained permanent nagging knee injuries from distance running by the time I was 22 after 6 years of doing races. Doing one marathon to say you did it is totally fine! But definitely consider weight-training and moderate cardio a few times per week as your sustainable option after you complete your marathon.

Running more than 10 miles per week is completely sustainable. You may or may not need water on 5+ mile runs. And I don't know where he came up with running 15 miles at a fast pace twice a week.

If you haven't run in two years and never ran more than 6 miles I would not recommend trying to run a marathon this year. Spend this year building your base. Maybe shoot for a marathon middle to late next year...... maybe.

Being able to run 6 miles is in no way any kind of indicator of whether or not you can run a marathon. Regardless of what someone who has never even run a half marathon may tell you.

If your goal is just to drag your nearly lifeless body across the finish line and lay on the couch for the next week recovering then sure.... go right on ahead. If you want to have a good experience and finish feeling strong then I'd wait a while and put in more miles first.

Agree with the poster who said that "the vast majority of this is utter crap". I've been a runner for 16 years. Get a good training plan Hal Higdon is a running icon and has free marathon training plans for all levels. He has a plan for non-runners its called "Novice Supreme" its 30 weeks. Even that plan assumes you can already run 3 miles.

You're very obviously lying or genetically gifted if you have been a runner for 16 years and aren't bed-ridden.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

You're very obviously lying or genetically gifted if you have been a runner for 16 years and aren't bed-ridden.

I just live a charmed life.

Why don't you google Hal Higdon he's like 100 years old and still runs marathons.
  • Runningmischka
    Runningmischka Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    @Belle8312 I'll be swift with my post. Is it doable? Yes, I have done in 2007: started training in February, ran a Baltimore marathon in October with an awesome time of 3:39. Would I suggest doing it? Absolutely not. I was super lucky not to get injured during my training. I think your decision to postpone this ultimate goal till 2016 is a smart one. Run some 10k's, half-marathons, or just run because it's awesome! And do join the running group here, those peeps are cool B)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Why don't you google Hal Higdon he's like 100 years old and still runs marathons.

83 actually.

But you missed the joke.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

83 actually.

But you missed the joke.

:wink:
  • misskris78
    misskris78 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's an impossible goal - but it's as much of a mental challenge as it is a physical one. I trained for a half last summer running only 1 day a week (with weight training and cardio 5 days a week), but I had a good base to start with. The question is: How did you feel about your 6 mile runs? Were you invigorated? Ready for more? Exhausted but hooked for life? Or were you ready to throw your lifeless body into a fiery inferno? Now, multiply that run by 4, and add a few miles for good measure. If you're not someone who can easily "get into your head", the mental challenge will probably be worse than the physical one.

If you're just getting into distance running - try a half. It's a doable distance, and you'll at least get the taste of success. I think you're more likely to continue running and enjoy it more if you start with a more achievable goal. I start to hate all of humanity at about 18 miles. That's 8 miles of wanting to sucker punch the next volunteer who says "almost there!".

That said, I'm running a full in October. My first after 2 kids. Because the snow banks are taller than me here in the tundra with more snow on the way, I can't start running safely until April, so I think your time frame is reasonable. Good luck!