Testing My Self Control.

Options

Replies

• MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti. 85g = 310 calories and thats like what? 5 mouthfuls? Hardly worth dirtying your mouth on, and i am the type that likes to have bread with my spaghetti, i also like to have ground beef in my sauce.. so when you add it all up 700 calories maybe for a tease of spaghetti lol

My fiance will only eat the angelhair pasta. I don't understand why, but it's got something to do with the texture. The kind I get is 200 calories for 2oz dry. I always try to put some kind of meat with it like a grilled chicken breast cut up, and I use the lighter version of the prego spaghetti sauce. It's usually around 500 ish calories for the whole thing.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    memelendy wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Haven't really been sad about calories and portion sizes really, but I've also gotten used to the smaller portion sizes. But if I want to eat more than the designated portion size I will for sure.

Oh, I guess cheese and PB are the saddest ones. I still eat cheese almost daily though!

ALSO, if I didn't eat GF, I would love to buy both of these and I bet the serving weight would also be depressing:

250px-Chex-Mix-Pile.jpg (love those bagel bite things and the chex pieces)

christie055-2.jpg?1339131362BTW americans, do you have these?

I've never seen the crispers things, but I used to pick pretty much all the bagel bites out of the chex mix and keep them to myself lol. There's actually a very unflattering picture of me at someone's graduation party where I'm sitting in a chair and I've got a handful of them. :neutral_face:

LOL aw, sorry but kind of funny. I've done that before too. I'd pick out the cheerios if they were seasoned (usually were), the bagels, and the chex pieces. Everything else I'd leave in the bag, and then half the bag would just be the gross stuff. I really need to google recipes for my own version. And crispers are delicious, like... not crackers, not chips, just YUM.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Spaghetti. 85g = 310 calories and thats like what? 5 mouthfuls? Hardly worth dirtying your mouth on, and i am the type that likes to have bread with my spaghetti, i also like to have ground beef in my sauce.. so when you add it all up 700 calories maybe for a tease of spaghetti lol

I don't get how 85g isn't enough... are you weighing it cooked? It's 85g DRY lol. I eat 50g or so dry now, and it's easily enough for a serving; I used to cover my plate in pasta. I can easily do spaghetti with a meat-heavy sauce and it can be under 400 cals. This is still enough for a normal bowl of pasta.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    Nice :) i am actually gonna look into those low carb asian noodles and see if i like those. i like vermicelli so im hoping that they will be somewhat the same thing

I've found that I have to find alternatives for a lot of things in order to make them fit my calorie goal. I guess I am lucky though, I really like turkey, so when I want burgers, or sausages I get the turkey variety.
  • ana3067
    Options
    yeah i am weighing it dry.. lol i guess you'd have to see just how much spaghetti i was eating before LOL.. There is a reason why i am over weight ;) lol

Like this?
    (imagine this is a large dinner plate, liket he ones that are twice the size of your head)
    spaghetti_pomodoro_fabianelli.jpg

THat's how I used to eat haha. I've gotten accustomed to what reasonable serving sizes should look like now though. If I get a soup bowl (room for ~2-3 cups of liquid?) the 50-60g that I usually eat now will fill up about half that room. Which I find is fine for me now, since I add in all the other fixings - meat, cheese, sauce, veggies, etc.

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    yeah i am weighing it dry.. lol i guess you'd have to see just how much spaghetti i was eating before LOL.. There is a reason why i am over weight ;) lol

If you're using a scale, you could weigh the whole thing cooked, then divide it by 7, or whatever the total servings are for the box. I weigh my strainer, then weigh it full of the spaghetti after it's strained. Makes it easier to figure out, and you don't end up cooking one serving at a time.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

If you're using a scale, you could weigh the whole thing cooked, then divide it by 7, or whatever the total servings are for the box. I weigh my strainer, then weigh it full of the spaghetti after it's strained. Makes it easier to figure out, and you don't end up cooking one serving at a time.

I cook it one serving at a time because i dont like left over spaghetti.
    I gotta eat it once its made and thats it. =/

I am a bit of a picky pants lol

If that's what works for you, then keep doing it. :smile:
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    edited February 2015
    Options

I cook it one serving at a time because i dont like left over spaghetti.
    I gotta eat it once its made and thats it. =/

I am a bit of a picky pants lol

That's actually exactly how I am. I used to not be able to open a box of anything, because once it was open, I'd have to finish it. I once sat down one morning after work (when I worked midnight shifts) and I ate an entire box of Krave cereal.

I finally am allowing myself to have cereal in the house, but I still eat about 2-2 and 1/2 servings at a time. I just make sure to log it and fit it in.

I have to portion out the spaghetti for myself beforehand as well and cook it individually.

ETA: cereal is one of the few things where I'm not disappointed in the serving sizes
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    :) i love cereal too, been loving those new peanut butter cheerios. However they are limited edition and im worried they might take them away before i am ready to say goodbye lol

I recently went to the store and I bought the banana nut, the frosted, and the apple flavored cheerios. I'll have to check next time I'm at the store and see if I can find them. Once my trail mix is out, I'm going to start bringing them instead.

Usually when I'm at the end of my day, if I still have about 300 calories left, I'll fill it in with cereal. I only use unsweetened almond milk though because regular milk makes me feel yucky.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    Options
    You guys still have banana ones? :( my store took those away.. i thought maybe banana was limited edition too. Or Maybe Canada just sucks lol

I don't know if it's limited or not here. I hope they don't take them away :( Sorry to hear your store doesn't have them.
  • ana3067
    Options

I personally just do it as a recipe, mostly because pasta won't match the weight of the box all the time.

so if I did the whole box and it comes out to 400g, then I enter that in a recipe (water as the 2nd ingredient), once it's cooked and drained and cooled off a bit then I just weigh it again and put the new weight as my serving seize, e.g. 900g. Then when I go to eat it, I'll weigh 110g and put that as my serving size. Someone posted about needing help converting their fries from cooked to frozen based on pre and post-cooked weight of the whole batch, which made me realie I should also do this for fries haha.

Uhm.. no.. probably like.. 3 of those at once. It would be nothing for me to eat 1/2 a box of pasta and 500-600g of ground beef and a large can of sauce + 3-4 slices of bread in one sitting. Lol.. so when i see this NORMAL serving, i am just not visually ready to accept it yet. only been going less then 3 weeks so meal sizes are still a bit of a shock and awe for me.

Daaamn. Well yikes. 3 weeks is also pretty early on. It gets easier with respect to adjusting to normal serving sizes!