Sweetener

Options
2»

Replies

• eccentric88
    eccentric88 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Try stevia, it is not sugar, and has other health benefits, I would try combining with a healthier sugar like honey or maple syrup..till used to it. It can have a bitter taste if overusing.
  • AvidAdrienne
    AvidAdrienne Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What does your friend base this claim on?

I think she is drawing her own conclusions, I don't think there is a medical link between the cancer and artificial sweetener (she specified chewing gum sweetener), I believe it was her own theory. I may ask more when the time is right.
  • suzieboult
    Options
    What is a safe sweetener I can have? I found agave syrup at Whole Foods... but is that healthy?

I think if you are looking only at the sweetener, molasses might come out on top as "healthiest" as it has a lot of nutrients. But unles you are using a lot of sweetener, it's unlikely to make much difference in relation to total diet.

If you want lower calories, artificial sweeteners will win. If you want most natural, raw honey probably would. Or stevia leaves, but those aren't all that sweet.

Molasses i agree with and it is said it helps ur hair grow
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    What is a safe sweetener I can have? I found agave syrup at Whole Foods... but is that healthy?

Define "safe". If you want natural and calorie free, consider Stevia.

Safe as in harmless in moderate amounts.

Also Stevia tastes like dog s**t.

Your definition and the OP's definition may or may not be the same. Only the OP can answer the question as to their meaning.

People that complain about the taste of Stevia may be trying to use too much of it. Stevia is much sweeter than sugar and a tiny dusting of Stevia is equal to a couple spoons of sugar.

No, I don't add sucralose to anything by choice, but one bite of my yogurt this morning and I knew it was in there. Nasty stuff.

Why do you feel like you need alternatives to regular granulated sugar, OP? It's actually not that high-calorie when used moderately, so if you don't have a medical condition, it's not necessary to avoid it. If I wanted to cut back, I'd just cut back on sweet foods rather than try to replace sugar with something else.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Define "safe". If you want natural and calorie free, consider Stevia.

Safe as in harmless in moderate amounts.

Also Stevia tastes like dog s**t.

I'd agree, but I don't know what dog *kitten* tastes like.

I'm assuming it tastes like stevia....aka terrible.

Played rugby for many years, often on parks used by inconsiderate dog walkers as toilets for their pets. Believe me, I know what it tastes like.

Is there a difference in taste from the old school white dog *kitten* and the newer brown stuff?
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    Honestly, in my opinion, sugar is sugar is sugar. I don't think agave or honey is any better or worse than regular old sugar.
    ^^^This...